fix for the dialogue volume issue

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
redalpha07

fix for the dialogue volume issue

Post by redalpha07 »

sorry i don't have the activity log. never the less this dialogue volume issue has affected more than one of my movies (worst offender of course being The Dark Night). has anyone figured out a universal solution? i have adjusted the DRC, and i'll admit there was an improvement, but i am still not satisfied. i have a premium surround sound system (including the center channel) so i can rule that out. in addition when i play the dvd the audio is normal. therefore i can deduce that something is happening during the rip/encode. it is definitely possible that this is a DMR issue. any other thoughts on a solution?
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: fix for the dialogue volume issue

Post by refulgentis »

DRC will be able to be turned off, eventually, there's a patch right now but its not even in the official dev code much less released
redalpha07

Post by redalpha07 »

thanks for the update, im happy a solution is in the works.
redalpha07

Post by redalpha07 »

does anyone have an ETA on when there will be an update with the audio issue fixed?

-Thanks
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

redalpha07 wrote:sorry i don't have the activity log. never the less this dialogue volume issue has affected more than one of my movies (worst offender of course being The Dark Night). has anyone figured out a universal solution? i have adjusted the DRC, and i'll admit there was an improvement, but i am still not satisfied. i have a premium surround sound system (including the center channel) so i can rule that out. in addition when i play the dvd the audio is normal. therefore i can deduce that something is happening during the rip/encode. it is definitely possible that this is a DMR issue. any other thoughts on a solution?
I think you need to explain a little more about how you are listening to you audio and what you playback device is. E.g AppleTV and listening to the audio via you Hi-fi with Dolby Digital.

DD won't be effcted at all as if you have you settings correct, then this is passed through and is the same as the original. DRC only effects the 2 channel mix down, and works like you night setting on your amplifier when running a DD source. 0 is off, 1 is Normal and above that is going into Night Setting areas.

Check that you are listening to the same audio source is you best bet to track this down.

Nate
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nathug wrote:
redalpha07 wrote:sorry i don't have the activity log. never the less this dialogue volume issue has affected more than one of my movies (worst offender of course being The Dark Night). has anyone figured out a universal solution? i have adjusted the DRC, and i'll admit there was an improvement, but i am still not satisfied. i have a premium surround sound system (including the center channel) so i can rule that out. in addition when i play the dvd the audio is normal. therefore i can deduce that something is happening during the rip/encode. it is definitely possible that this is a DMR issue. any other thoughts on a solution?
I think you need to explain a little more about how you are listening to you audio and what you playback device is. E.g AppleTV and listening to the audio via you Hi-fi with Dolby Digital.

DD won't be effcted at all as if you have you settings correct, then this is passed through and is the same as the original. DRC only effects the 2 channel mix down, and works like you night setting on your amplifier when running a DD source. 0 is off, 1 is Normal and above that is going into Night Setting areas.

Check that you are listening to the same audio source is you best bet to track this down.

Nate
OK, let me ask something I haven't taken the time to look into for myself... what is the difference between 0 (off) and 1 (normal)?
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

nightstrm wrote:
nathug wrote:

Nate
OK, let me ask something I haven't taken the time to look into for myself... what is the difference between 0 (off) and 1 (normal)?

O would be like having you Night setting to off, 1 would be like having the Night setting to Normal (very slight compression) I find 1.25 closer if you ask me) Anything above is personal taste. This is what Jbrjake told me in the past the setting were in relation to the Night settings on a home HI-Fi amplifier.

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Uh no I did not tell you it was like the Night settings. It's the normal DRC profile.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

jbrjake wrote:Uh no I did not tell you it was like the Night settings. It's the normal DRC profile.
We once spoke about the DRC setting in HB, and its relation to the Compression settings on a home hi-fi amplifier. What I say above is what I got out of the conversation, sorry if I misunderstood. But, isn't the DRC profile in a DD encode used in hi-fi amplifiers to decide what compression used when setting Night Setting options? Similar to how HB uses it, but HB allows more precise numbers?

But..

What I do say is still relevant to this thread. It sound to me like the guy here is listening to a 2 channel mix down with DRC on on the HB encode, and by DD when listening to the source. They have not provided any information of any play back, hook up etc.

Nate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

I might be wrong about this (Dolby's consumer level marketing information makes it nearly impossible to tell) but my loose understanding is that receivers that have midnight modes are applying *extra* DRC and dialog normalization on top of the regular DRC listening profile hinted in the stream, and that no consumer receiver is ever going to give you the full range and levels of the unfiltered stream.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

jbrjake wrote:I might be wrong about this (Dolby's consumer level marketing information makes it nearly impossible to tell) but my loose understanding is that receivers that have midnight modes are applying *extra* DRC and dialog normalization on top of the regular DRC listening profile hinted in the stream, and that no consumer receiver is ever going to give you the full range and levels of the unfiltered stream.
Check this out.

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/zz-_ ... .Guide.pdf

Nate