How-to rip Blu-ray to a MKV without compression

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
weblance

How-to rip Blu-ray to a MKV without compression

Post by weblance »

Hi

I'm trying to find a method to backup my blu-ray discs. I would like just to backup the main movie, one audio stream and one subtitle stream. Is it possible to backup this and store it in a MKV without compressing?

/Carl
Deleted User 11865

Re: How-to rip Blu-ray to a MKV without compression

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Not with HandBrake. HandBrake always reencodes (i.e. "compresses") the source. Plus you'd have to use another application to rip the Blu-Ray in the first place, if I am not mistaken.

Your best bet would be to use a dedicated ripping application to rip the main feature with the language and subtitle you want (assuming you're on a Windows PC, I don't think it should be too difficult to find), and then use another application to mux that to MKV (if it's possible).

P.S. Hope you have a lot of disk space.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Anydvd HD + eac3to on windows can do this easily.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I can't vouch for it's quality since I haven't used it, but you might give this a try http://www.makemkv.com/
Oldman

Post by Oldman »

As JohnAStebbins recommended use MakeMKV. It's very simple. Steps are illustrated here:

http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/

It should work with a lot of Blu-Rays but not all them due to the copyright protection mechanism used. If it is using BD+ MakeMKV will not be able to bypass it. If that is the case you need to have Anydvd HD running in the background. For me it takes 30-45 minutes to rip the main movie into one mkv file. They seem to range from about 11-25GB so far, so make sure you have hard drive space.