READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

hawksberry wrote:The Holiday
MTR 3.0 r14d Main Feature Mode + HB works great on "The Holiday"
myronaiii

Update on Windows Fix

Post by myronaiii »

I just wanted to give an update on a fix (on the PC) I posted earlier that worked once. The fix has worked successfully on two movies that had zero cell problems, and I think it's safe to say it will work for anyone else.

1. Used RipItForMe (and DVD Decrypter) to put the VOB files for the movie on my hard drive (I transfered the movie and only the movie).

2. Then I ran FixVTS, which seemed to clear the zero cells.

3. Used Handbrake to Rip from the "fixed" VOB files on my hard drive (still tell handbrake you're ripping from DVD, not ISO).
Solacemac

i just wanted to conferm what myronaiii said

Post by Solacemac »

i did what he said and i was able to rip another sony disk "Click" so if you have a windows machine and low on funds try his free solutions. now i'm going to go watch it on my apple tv.

Thanks for figureing that our myroaii
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

myronaiii - fyi the ISO/DVD selection only changes the type of dialog that appears. Nothing else. You can use either really, its just easier to use the File dialog box for grabbing an ISO
slkapust

Post by slkapust »

Red Dragon?
-MF rips first chapter then quits, plays fine
-MTR Does the up to first four parts then quits
kefferch

Pursuit of Happiness?

Post by kefferch »

Pursuit of Happiness? Any ideas?
incubowski

MacTheRipper 3.0 14

Post by incubowski »

I was finally able to rip the just the main feature that mediafork would encode using MacTheRipper 3.0 14. I had to ENABLE (not disable, as it states elsewhere) Prescan then rip just the main feature. This worked for new sony titles such as Stranger than Fiction and Running With Scissors. From reading the forums at RipDifferent it sounds like depending on your computer (and even model of DVD drive) different settings will get it to work. So try enabling/disabling prescan and some of the other options to get a working rip that you can encode with mediafork.

P.S. Keep up the good work on the next versions. 5.1 to dolby pro logic is what I am most excited for, that and the Anamorphic feature so I don't have to do a pass-through mp4 export in QuicktTme for the Anamorphic representation to work (with Apple TV, right now it works with a pass-through save in QuickTime, and I can still add album art!).
dredd15

Post by dredd15 »

This is my first post here, so go easy on me :)

I downloaded MediaFork earlier this week and attempted to rip a DVD for use on my AppleTV.

It was "The Prestige" which, according to this thread, apparently has Zero Cell issues.

The only problem with the file is that the Audio drops out completely about 1/3 of the way through the movie ... and it doesn't return.

Is this a Zero Cell issue?

If it is, and if I understand this correctly - I have to RIP the DVD with MacTheRipper, then open the VIDEO_TS File in DVD2one and check for Zero Cells? Then after the file is fixed, encode it with MediaFork?

Is that correct? 3 Programs to acheive this?
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

dredd15 wrote:...I have to RIP the DVD with MacTheRipper, then open the VIDEO_TS File in DVD2one and check for Zero Cells? Then after the file is fixed, encode it with MediaFork?

If you donate to the MTR project you can get the new beta, which will allow you to skip the DVD2one step.
dredd15

Post by dredd15 »

cbud wrote:
dredd15 wrote:...I have to RIP the DVD with MacTheRipper, then open the VIDEO_TS File in DVD2one and check for Zero Cells? Then after the file is fixed, encode it with MediaFork?

If you donate to the MTR project you can get the new beta, which will allow you to skip the DVD2one step.
I keep reading about people who are unable to successfully rip using MTR 3.whatever beta -- is that false?

How much is the donation?

ThankS!
cbud
Bright Spark User

Does MTR work?

Post by cbud »

Go to the forums and read through some posts. The people who are having problems are not reading the directions or have crappy Apple disc drives. If you read the forums and purchase a good disc drive you should have no problems.
baggss

Post by baggss »

dredd15 wrote:
cbud wrote:

I keep reading about people who are unable to successfully rip using MTR 3.whatever beta -- is that false?

ThankS!
There are still some Videos that even MTR 3 R14d is still having issues with. Bottom line is, not everything is going to rip with R14 or even MTR 3 whenever it comes out. It's still worth investing in DTOX and doing it the old fashioned way.

The "suggested donation" for the beta builds is $35.
jdkullmann

Post by jdkullmann »

baggss wrote:
dredd15 wrote:
cbud wrote:

ThankS!
There are still some Videos that even MTR 3 R14d is still having issues with. Bottom line is, not everything is going to rip with R14 or even MTR 3 whenever it comes out. It's still worth investing in DTOX and doing it the old fashioned way.

The "suggested donation" for the beta builds is $35.
I donated about a year ago, was told I'd be able to get future releases, but, when I PM him I just get no reponse now. Not cool.

Suggestions on how to actually contact him and get updated to r14 without having to donate again?
baggss

Post by baggss »

You've already PM'd him. If you still have the e-mail from your original donation, reply to him from that.
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

Curse of the Golden Flower

anybody tried tokyo drift? i got the movie to rip, but with no sound.
squeezebox

"The Departed" WinXP & DVDshrink

Post by squeezebox »

"The Departed" may be one of these zero cell movies. I have used DVDshrink to create the VOBs, then Handbrake to make them into mp4s successfully on several movies, but when doing the same procedure for "Departed", Handbrake cannot sense any of the DVD info in the retrieve dialogue and cannot proceed.

I will try running fixVTS as someone suggested and see if I can make VOBs which handbrake will sense.
squeezebox

Re: "The Departed" WinXP & DVDshrink

Post by squeezebox »

squeezebox wrote:"The Departed" may be one of these zero cell movies. I have used DVDshrink to create the VOBs, then Handbrake to make them into mp4s successfully on several movies, but when doing the same procedure for "Departed", Handbrake cannot sense any of the DVD info in the retrieve dialogue and cannot proceed.

I will try running fixVTS as someone suggested and see if I can make VOBs which handbrake will sense.

Okay, it worked. fixVTS made VOB files which handbrake could read.

HOWEVER, it looks like there is something else up with another movie- Xmen3. The VTS trick didn't work on that one.

cheers
jediracer

Post by jediracer »

Both The Departed and X-Men 3 worked just fine for me. (first try and everything)
gmalarkey

Post by gmalarkey »

hi,
first i am a new user and am lovin the ability to finlly be able to put my DVD's on my iPod. my question is this, why won't MF display the main part if the movie for ripping in Stewie Griffen the Untold Story. it shows a few diff ones but they are only a few min. long. i checked and didn't see any zero cells? any help?
baggss

Post by baggss »

I ripped that with HB 0.7.1 some time back with no issues. You are saying you see a bunch of titles but not the main feature?
jediracer wrote:Both The Departed and X-Men 3 worked just fine for me. (first try and everything)
I had no issues with The Departed either. That's why neither is on the list.
glorfindeal

Post by glorfindeal »

I'm ripping disk 1 of Friends (season 1) and I did not run into a zero cell issue. Are you all sure it is correct? Also, you have Open Season listed twice in the list.

Glor
baggss

Post by baggss »

I did find a zero cell with episode one of season one of friends. Thanks for the heads up on the dupe, it's corrected.
glorfindeal

Post by glorfindeal »

Well, I just watched episode 1 and it played without any problems.

Glor
baggss

Post by baggss »

Hmmm. I actually went in and looked at it with DVD2OneX and there was one there. Mine was from the full box set of all 10 seasons, was yours?
glorfindeal

Post by glorfindeal »

baggss wrote:Hmmm. I actually went in and looked at it with DVD2OneX and there was one there. Mine was from the full box set of all 10 seasons, was yours?
No, I purchased epidsode one separately when it came out.

Does the zero cell affect if you use the mpeg4 codec? I did not use h.264.

Glor