DVD without multiple small titles - ripping

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
sunspot

DVD without multiple small titles - ripping

Post by sunspot »

I have one DVD in a series for my son that appears to be very different than the others.

When I read it with Handbrake, there is not one large title that I can rip to get the full movie. Even though it plays exactly like all the others I ripped easily, this one has a bunch of smaller titles and none of them can be ripped to create the full movie.

Any help here on either (i) discovering the one contiguous file I need to rip or (ii) any method for ripping each and every title and then putting them all together?

Very strange.

Thanks.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Handbrake is most likely not reading all the titles. I've noticed this with about 5% of my DVDs. Handbrake numbers the titles, is there a number missing?

The VIDEO_TS folder needs to be re-authorized. You will need to make a movie only VIDEO_TS folder. This requires MTR and/or DVD2oneX.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Interesting. What do you mean by "re-authorized". I am also on windows so I don't have mac the ripper readily available...

Can I use anyDVD somehow to do this?
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

sunspot wrote:Interesting. What do you mean by "re-authorized". I am also on windows so I don't have mac the ripper readily available...

Can I use anyDVD somehow to do this?
The VIDEO_TS folder needs to be re-written with just the title you are intrested in. This requires the full disc to be on your hard drive. I have never used anyDVD, so I can't help you there.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Well, I tried DVD2One (trial version), and it did a great job of at least creating the single movie only type folder.

However, when I then try to read this video_ts file with handbrake, it finds no titles to rip.

Any help there?
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

sunspot wrote: this video_ts
can you tell us what DVD you are working on? if you want help, we need all the detail and information we can get in regards to your issue.

i wonder if you could use DVDdecrypter or DVDfab in those main feature modes, hopefully one of those will generate a VOB set that HandBrake feels at home with.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

sunspot wrote:Well, I tried DVD2One (trial version), and it did a great job of at least creating the single movie only type folder.

However, when I then try to read this video_ts file with handbrake, it finds no titles to rip.

Any help there?
Can you play this folder with the DVD player on your computer?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I can. Looks good. But title just does not show up when I start up Handbrake. I have now used both the DVD2One program and DVD Shrink.

They both work great in creating a movie only set of files, but Handbrake still coughs on the Video_TS directory.
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

Again, what is this content? Movie? Special Feature? Home made movie?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Its a children's DVD called "Noodlebug - on the Move". A bunch of little chapters.

nothing special. I have a bunch of other dvds (noodlebug) and they ripped easily, no problems.
zumpa940

Post by zumpa940 »

you said you are using windows,

i was wondering, is the windows version the same as the mac one (i have the mac version, its great)? if there's a difference there might be a bug with detecting special feature vs. main feature, but i could be completely wrong, dont quote me on that.

I'd advise you to see how many special features HB is detecting and see if that is the same as what is on the DVD. It might just be the main feature it is not detecting which definately could be an issue. After all, not all movies are exactly the same on dvds.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

As far as I can tell, it is just not detecting the main feature which is title 1. It only detects starting with Title 4.

Very odd. I have tried DVD Shrink, DVD Decryptor, and also AnyDVD to rip or to extract the movie only file. Nothing appears to work.

Really a bummer since it is the one DVD my son really loves watching and I wanted to have put on my Apple TV for him to enjoy without destroying the DVD (which he does when we use the DVD player since he always goes and opens the darn thing up.