iTunes Genius & cnID (Solved)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
iJoel
Enlightened

iTunes Genius & cnID (Solved)

Post by iJoel »

Genius for iTunes just popped up recently and I realize that it doesn't work with my rips,
yet it does work with my purchased shows/movies.

I always knew not having the "same" cnID for the movies in the iTunes store would cause problems eventually.

EDIT: Non-issue anymore, solved it.
Would of deleted the post, but as it seems, that's not an option ;P.
jzietman
Enlightened

Re: iTunes Genius & cnID (Solved)

Post by jzietman »

How did you solve the issue?
iJoel
Enlightened

Post by iJoel »

Using mp4v2 I can insert a new cnID.
& browsing in iTunes you can right click on a movie & select "Copy URL".

You can then look at whats in the clipboard, pick the cnID from it & insert it with the CLI
from mp4v2 ^__^. Movie Genius now works D.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Yep, I found this out when they enabled Genius... not sure if I'm going to go through the hassle of doing it for all of my encodes though. The only ones I have cared about so far are SD/HD TV show encodes that are also available in iTunes (BSG S1). Maybe with HD movies making an appearance I'll re-evaluate my options and start including them. I was really hoping they would just use the metadata; I've spent a lot of time making sure all the info (including actors and directors) were perfect. :evil:

I know the TV show iTunes URL shows the cnID, but is that true for movies as well? I believe we looked at this when we figured out how to do the iTunes library combination and found that it did not.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Your memory doesn't serve you well nightstrm, the URL for movies also includes the cnID.
iJoel
Enlightened

Post by iJoel »

nightstrm wrote:I was really hoping they would just use the metadata; I've spent a lot of time making sure all the info (including actors and directors) were perfect. :evil:
I did the same thing.
& I was really looking forward to Movie/TV Show Genius.
But when Genius suggested i buy "The Dark Knight: because it couldn't find recommendations
based on "The Dark Knight", I knew something was up. & sure enough, it matches the cnID, unlike
the music where it uses the metadata.

I mean, copying over the cnIDs is easy enough for me, and I'll do it for all of my encodes,
but the main problem is, that sometimes iTunes content disappears.
So some movies actually have iTunes cnIDs that I have no way of finding out.

But it is kind of interesting on a privacy level; I wonder if the cnID of the movies we have on iTunes
is the only thing transfered to Apple's servers, haha, probably not.

& the cnID seems to be the primary key for it's database; so I'd be surprised if any URL didn't contain it ;P.