Enlightened

Re: Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Post by Northy »

That is good news, now all we need is a DTS to AC3 converter :D
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I would rather just pass the DTS though like I do with the AC3.

Ok, I'm not sure about one thing. Can I do this with 0.9.3, or do I need to compile a newer version?

Thanks!

SC
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

You can't passthrough DTS at all with HandBrake.

And it only makes sense for mkv anyways, DTS in mp4 is neither specified nor supported by any device/software.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

That's why I said I would rather pass it though, and not that I do. But thank you for reminding me.

SC
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

GoodOmens wrote:tsMuxer now has a mac version ...

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
Great! now all we need is a bd/hd ripper and a demuxer/converter like eac3to and we can be mac only!
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Success! Well maybe...

I have Swordfish sitting on my peecee so I gave it another try.

I kept having problems with using eac3to directly from the CLI, so I tried a few GUIs. The first one I tried was Clown. Didn't get too far with that one. Actually didn't get anywhere with it. Then I tried the main GUI and still there was no joy. Then I tried HD-DVD/Blue-Ray Stream Extractor, which doesn't quite appear to just offer the -demux switch, but it did work!

Passed the desired output(video, 5.1 ac3, and commentary ac3) to tsmuxer while still on the peecee, and that worked fine.

Sent it over to the HTmini(2.16Ghz C2D), and started the encode. Seventeen hours! That's with the High Profile Film settings, or maybe CQ adjusted at 60. I forget, it was early in the morning...

Previously, I used RipBot264 with a two pass encode. It's an hour to 'scan' the folder, then ten hours to do the first pass, and thirtythree for the second pass. That's with a 3.2Ghz P4.

So, nine hours left(give or take) and I should be able to check the output this evening when I get home.

Thank you nightstrm!

SC
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

No problem! The eac3to command line syntax can be quite confusing until you get the hang of it... it took me quite a few tries to finally get it figured out. It's a great utility with its only fault being that it isn't available cross-platform.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

I've been using the Clown BD this last week, and been having great results. Very easy to set up and use, and you just walk away. About an hour and a half later its complete. This on my MacBook running XP.

The best thing about it, is that it looks at the playlist and automatically stitches it all together if needed. I no longer need any programs to give me the play list, and a stitcher for the right combination. The latest was Pineapple Express and Walk Hard, it worked no problem.

So far, I have not had one file from this that doesn't work with HB. I'm using SVN2233.

Nate
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

nightstrm wrote:No problem! The eac3to command line syntax can be quite confusing until you get the hang of it... it took me quite a few tries to finally get it figured out. It's a great utility with its only fault being that it isn't available cross-platform.

Since it is a command line utility, should it not work if we could just get the source and recompile under osx?
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

Here is a thread on RipIts website asking for blu-ray support. If enough people chime in, perhaps we can see a blu-ray ripper for the mac.
http://forum.ripitapp.com/comments.php? ... =51&page=1
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

ArrMiHardies wrote:
nightstrm wrote:No problem! The eac3to command line syntax can be quite confusing until you get the hang of it... it took me quite a few tries to finally get it figured out. It's a great utility with its only fault being that it isn't available cross-platform.

Since it is a command line utility, should it not work if we could just get the source and recompile under osx?
Possibly, but its closed source.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

It's also .net based, is it not?

Otherwise, I just get frustrated after making a typo, and not knowing what was wrong to get some windows doesn't understand something error.

And... I forgot to set the big file flag! :oops: I'll get it fired up again shortly, and run it again.

Finally to answer my own question - Regular 0.9.3 works fine.

SC
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Completely off-topic, but it's my thread and who's going to stop me? :wink:

It looks like Apple has started selling HD movies via iTunes, with "The Punisher" and"Transporter 3" available now, and "Twilight" and "Quantum of Solace" available for preorder!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... ost7309182

EDIT: Here's the official Apple PR announcement: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/03 ... sr=hotnews

To be honest, if they start building a decent library in iTunes, my desire to go through the hassle of purchasing/storing a Bluray disc and jumping through the hoops of encoding will diminish quite a bit. While I'm still likely to buy a Bluray version of something like "Lord of the Rings", other titles wouldn't be so lucky.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

nightstrm wrote:Completely off-topic, but it's my thread and who's going to stop me? :wink:
Stop right there, mister! :P

Seriously though, I'd be more interested in this announcement if Australia's broadband infrastructure was up to the challenge, and Apple and I agreed on what constitutes HD.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

TedJ wrote:
nightstrm wrote:Completely off-topic, but it's my thread and who's going to stop me? :wink:
Stop right there, mister! :P

Seriously though, I'd be more interested in this announcement if Australia's broadband infrastructure was up to the challenge, and Apple and I agreed on what constitutes HD.
While I know it's hard to say, the file sizes listed are in the same range as my encoded from Handbrake, so I'm hoping the quality will be similar to what I'm getting the harder way.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Thanks to some testing by refulgentis on IRC just now, it has been discovered that setting stik == 9 (formerly "short movie"), setting identical cnID, and setting hdvd == 1 on the HD encode will result in combined movie entries now. This seems to have changed in 8.1, likely in preparation for today's HD movie rollout.

In the past, you had to set it to stik == 10 (tvshow) and then change it once imported.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

Just to chip in another method now that TSMuxer is available for Mac. My workflow has been to create an m2ts file that HandBrake can read direct from the blu-ray disc using TSMuxer (under Parallels and only keeping the streams i want) - not to rip the the disc first via AnyDVD, extract the streams with eac3to then put back together with TSMuxer. However, the downside was that TSMuxer would absolutely kill my Mac in terms of performance and i couldn't do anything else until the rip was complete.
I have now shared my (external USB) blu-ray drive under Windows, connected via SMB from Mac and TSMuxer under Mac can read and create my new m2ts file direct from the blu-ray disc. OK - i still need Windows running, but since the app is now running natively under MacOSX it doesn't kill my iMac's performance and is also ripping a good 10-15% faster than under Windows.
Also need Windows just to finish off grabbing those chapters (and also any DTS -> AC3 conversion), then its HandBrake & Subler all the way.
Cheers for the great apps guys :D
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

Is there a less advanced guide for bluray workflow? I just can't seem to get past eac3to because each time i execute the file all i see is dos code fly by with nothing happening. Ihave read that there is gui version of eac3to, but it's even more confusing that the wiki instructions. On a side note for this windows user, what programs can i use to replace the last two steps in this workflow? many thanks.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

I've been playing with CQ vs image size. I tried 3 versions as listed below.

1. AppleTV preset (let HB select image size) @ 57%, detelecine, decomb, no chapters
2. AppleTV preset (let HB select image size) @ 59%, detelecine, decomb, no chapters
3. AppleTV preset (changing Horizontal to 1280 to get 720p HD) @ 57%, detelecine, decomb, no chapters

1. Produces a great image, I would say which is above a great DVD encode.
2. This image looks great, when compared to the 57% version, the image is sharper, and now the 57% image looks even a little blurred. Small detail like hair etc. looks much better. On average, the file size has only increased 300-500mb above the 57% file. I also felt that movement etc. was the best with this preset, even over the bigger image size.
3. This looks great, no question about it. I would say its a vast improvement over the 57% file. When compared to the 59% file though, its close. Yes the image is slightly sharper, but the file size is big, and the encoding time is almost double. The file size for this was on average 1-1.2 gig bigger over the original 57% version.

I was very surprised at this. I thought that the original 57% files had been looking good!! But, going to 59% was a huge difference, and I was happy with the file size.

One thing I would point out though is that I have been doing all the Computer animation stuff like Wall-e and Chicken Little on the ATV Preset with the size boosted to 720p. The files sizes are small, just below 2 gb, and look fantastic!!

Nate
Shiven

Post by Shiven »

Thanks for all your hard work guys! Nightstrm- fantastic work. To me this is pioneering work (considering i've spent the last 4 days looking for a post which basically says what you have managed to put down :evil:), and to BucksSaddler- you're my new best friend <3.

I don't actually own a blu ray drive, I have a ps3, a htpc (running linux) and a macbook pro (eaaaaarly model). So far, i've been looking for ways to avoid using windows at all (due to the fact that it would require me to acquire a cd- i haven't used windows at home in at least 8 years), also due to hardware constraints on my MBP (60gb harddrive does NOT cope with 40gb blu ray rips nicely).

So far, i've managed to install linux on my PS3, mount a NFS drive from my server(htpc), rip the blu ray directly to the htpc (as it is the only thing around here that has any space) using the dd command (ie, raw straight to an iso). This may have a couple of draw backs which suddenly have sprang to mind so...

- Has anyone attempted to rip out of a blu-ray ISO before? Interestingly, I can mount the iso using # mount -o loop /path/to/iso /mnt/path and see all the 'raw' files inside, but the file structure looks completely different to what I expected.

- Unix / Linux development seems behind the 8-ball with this one (which is really odd), is there any chance of me using *nix tools to get the same functionality as eac3to?

If worst comes to worst, i can just wait it out. I've only put one bluray disc on the htpc so far, and although it weighs in at 37gb, the space wasn't being used for anything else.

Hopefully someone has some idea what i'm talking about, rather than me just sounding insane =3
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I don't have a PS3, but I heard about a program called Swiss Army Knife, for PS3 Linux, that lets you copy the BluRay discs.

I have no iDea of how it works, but maybe you can give that a try.

SC
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Shiven wrote:Has anyone attempted to rip out of a blu-ray ISO before? Interestingly, I can mount the iso using # mount -o loop /path/to/iso /mnt/path and see all the 'raw' files inside, but the file structure looks completely different to what I expected.
Yes I think nearly everyone in this thread has, if you get AnyDVD HD on Windows you can remove it that way, I have personally been able to get the .m2ts out of the ISO without AnyDVD HD on Mac by just dragging it from the ISO to Ext. HD after ripping, only did it the once (It was with Lissi und der Wilde Kaiser).

Yh AnyDVD HD is what you need.

Edit I just installed that SwissArmy Knife thing Smithcraft said, don't use it as it is confusing as... if you do use it follow the instructions carefully as I think I have ruined my PC :(
Shiven

Post by Shiven »

Northy wrote:
Shiven wrote:Has anyone attempted to rip out of a blu-ray ISO before? Interestingly, I can mount the iso using # mount -o loop /path/to/iso /mnt/path and see all the 'raw' files inside, but the file structure looks completely different to what I expected.
Yes I think nearly everyone in this thread has, if you get AnyDVD HD on Windows you can remove it that way, I have personally been able to get the .m2ts out of the ISO without AnyDVD HD on Mac by just dragging it from the ISO to Ext. HD after ripping, only did it the once (It was with Lissi und der Wilde Kaiser).

Yh AnyDVD HD is what you need.

Edit I just installed that SwissArmy Knife thing Smithcraft said, don't use it as it is confusing as... if you do use it follow the instructions carefully as I think I have ruined my PC :(
I guess you meant ps3, if its being screwy, hold down the power key for 5 seconds (until second beep occurs) and it should reset in normal OS. SAK looks promising, but without NFS support its kindof useless for me- unless its just got a genkernel setup, which i must admit would be quite appealing...

It seems as though its just a very slim PS3 linux however- anyone able to confirm or deny my suspicions?

At some point i'm going to give it a whirl; once I get through these mountains of encodes i've gotta do at least =/
pemberto

Post by pemberto »

Guys,

The work you have all done here is great, and has been a saver on time and effort. I do have a couple of questions which I hope you can shed some light on as I am new to the whole DVD/HDDVD RIP/Handbrake process.

I am halfway through ripping my dvd's via Handbrake for ATV, just using the standard ATV present and setting quality to 65% and giving me results that I am happy with. I have a few HD DVD's and wanted to know what file size should I be aiming for that gives great picture with an AC3 soundtrack?

I'm not one for using the command line, so if anyone can share the optimal settings (in gui) that i can use that would be great.

Cheers
Pemberto
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

pemberto wrote:Guys,

The work you have all done here is great, and has been a saver on time and effort. I do have a couple of questions which I hope you can shed some light on as I am new to the whole DVD/HDDVD RIP/Handbrake process.

I am halfway through ripping my dvd's via Handbrake for ATV, just using the standard ATV present and setting quality to 65% and giving me results that I am happy with. I have a few HD DVD's and wanted to know what file size should I be aiming for that gives great picture with an AC3 soundtrack?

I'm not one for using the command line, so if anyone can share the optimal settings (in gui) that i can use that would be great.

Cheers
Pemberto
Just use the ATV preset set at 57% and raise the dimensions to 1280x???, but remember not to go over ????x720!! So basicaly keep both numbers lower than 1280x720, if you want a 720p HD file. This is only if the frame rate is 24fps or lower. If its above this, leave the dimensions where they are.

You wil also need the SVN version of HB to do this successfully.

By the way 65% for DVD's is very high!! 62% is about the highest you should go, else you are just wasting HD space with large file sizes.

As for HD file sizes, just let HB do its stuff. Pixar stuff is usually around 1.8gb. A nice clean movie is around 2.5-3.5gb (simular to what you are getting right now at 65% for DVD!!), and 3.8-4.5 for a picture that has lots of grain or is a long movie.

Nate