Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
siromega

Re: Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Post by siromega »

Two suggestions:

1. STICKY THIS THREAD!

2. Replace steps 2 and 3 with ClownBD, which is a GUI over eac3to and tsMuxer, makes things easier.
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

Well, I'm finally getting bd rips done thanks to this guide. Great resource.
I just wish more of it could be done on the mac side.
For those that want to automate tagging i really do recommend iDentify.
Anyways. It was mentioned that iDentify could be using mp4tags to write the tags. This would be a good idea, except that mp4tags currently does not support all the tags iDentify uses, though mp4tags does support a few that AtomicParsley does not. perhaps when these other tags needed are migrated, I'll consider switching.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

siromega wrote:Two suggestions:

1. STICKY THIS THREAD!

2. Replace steps 2 and 3 with ClownBD, which is a GUI over eac3to and tsMuxer, makes things easier.
I've used the ClownBD with some success... however, there are a few discs that I cannot rip properly with it (for example, X-Files 2), and I need to use the CLI. The CLI is actually pretty easy to use once you get the syntax down.

I've updated the main post in this thread to reflect the continued development of Subler. It's new capabilities have reduced the number of steps to 9 (from 12) and eliminated the necessity to build mp4v2 from SVN. I should note that it is still missing some of the tagging features of MetaX (most notably the ability to tag multiple files with the same information, some tags are not yet available), but due to some odd corruption problems I've encountered using MetaX as well as the new "Save & Optimize" feature in Subler, I'm confident in making the change.
siromega

Post by siromega »

Can you leave in references to mp4v2 for those trying to do this workflow exclusively on a PC? Maybe after the subler reference, just point the user to the mp4v2 package for Windows to replicate that same functionality.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

siromega wrote:Can you leave in references to mp4v2 for those trying to do this workflow exclusively on a PC? Maybe after the subler reference, just point the user to the mp4v2 package for Windows to replicate that same functionality.
That's exactly what I did.

That said, the initial post is MY workflow, which is entirely centered around using the Mac as much as possible.
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

FYI, I will probably be updating iDentify to look for an [HD] or [SD] tag and tag it appropriately. If both the sd and hd flags are detected for the same title, they will be given identical cnIDs. Otherwise, the cnid will be left alone. This way, for those that use iDentify, They'll be able to remove a few steps.
jbsengineer

Post by jbsengineer »

ArrMiHardies wrote:Yep, i needed YASM. seems very easy to miss that in the wiki. Thanks for the help on that.
Now that the HB svn is compiled, i finally got a good bd rip that will actually play on my ATV. Very nice picture quality. not as good as pure bd, but good enough when im feeling too lazy to get the disc. The HB stable release generates a video that won't play on the appletv, but will play in quicktime. probably due to the file size. the svn is also infinitely faster at loading those large m2ts files. fps is about double what i was getting on the stable release too.

question though,

7.) Use mp4tags (Mac) to set hdvd, stik, and cnID on both HD/SD files (for iTunes grouping to behave).

Im sure these can be written with AtomicParslesy if you use the advanced reverse dns feature. Unfortunately, I do not have any videos with these flags. can someone tell me what data is contained within the hdvd and cnID tags for an hd video? I don't keep both hd and sd versions, so I only need the hd info. Then I can write them manually using atomic parsley and perhaps implement it into iDentify.

Make sure "Large File Size" is selected when encoding. That will allow your ATV to play files larger than 4GB. I have a few at 6 or 7GB that play without issue using similar methods on this thread.
siromega

Post by siromega »

nightstrm wrote:
siromega wrote:Can you leave in references to mp4v2 for those trying to do this workflow exclusively on a PC? Maybe after the subler reference, just point the user to the mp4v2 package for Windows to replicate that same functionality.
That's exactly what I did.

That said, the initial post is MY workflow, which is entirely centered around using the Mac as much as possible.
Oh might help if I went back to the first page. Duh.

Anyways, would you mind keeping a Mac/PC workflow (until you can go all mac), and a separate PC workflow? I have a mac, its just slow and I don't want to have to use it to do anything...
shaunieo

Post by shaunieo »

Hi,
I've been doing some looking around here and on slysoft. On Slysofts forums (AnyDVD) there is this link for details on shrinking a Bluray

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=11770

In which the author rips the bluray and pulls out the "bad" streams via tsmuxer. For those of us who just want the movie from our bluray to our apple tv sans the subtitles/chapters, can't we just anydvd it, tsmux and put the result into handbrake?

???????
thx
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

Sure, as long as there is a suitable audio track on the original Blu-ray -- if there's only DTS on the disc, for example, then you won't end up with a surround track. You'll need to convert it to AC3 using eac3to to give Handbrake something to pass through. eac3to also does useful stuff like removing dialnorm and fixing gaps/overlaps in multi-M2TS Blu-rays. But you can usually get away without it if you don't need chapters/subs/audio conversion.
shaunieo

Post by shaunieo »

Thanks....That also clears up the need for eacto for me...
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Does anyone know a place where I can download Chapter files as I can't deal with the fact I have to go through and rerip everything just to get chapters :(
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

You could just rip the chapter tracks...
CrisisDog

Post by CrisisDog »

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it...

I'm new to ripping HD material and have finally begun to understand how to extract Blu Ray material and get it converted into something iTunes and Apple TV can play back. However, I've noticed some Blu disks, and pretty much all HD DVD disks, use VC-1 for video. I'm under the impression that HandBrake doesn't have the capability to read this video format, so I'm wondering what the (easiest) workflow process would be to get this particular video format converted over to iTunes / AppleTV?

Thanks for any input! :D
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

CrisisDog wrote:Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it...

I'm new to ripping HD material and have finally begun to understand how to extract Blu Ray material and get it converted into something iTunes and Apple TV can play back. However, I've noticed some Blu disks, and pretty much all HD DVD disks, use VC-1 for video. I'm under the impression that HandBrake doesn't have the capability to read this video format, so I'm wondering what the (easiest) workflow process would be to get this particular video format converted over to iTunes / AppleTV?

It works, but .9.3 can be picky about VC1 sources. My only recommendation would be to compile SVN code yourself, or wait for the next developer snapshot/public release as I haven't come across a problem with any VC1 source when using development code.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

nightstrm wrote:You could just rip the chapter tracks...
How can I do that without ripping all the BD's again, it takes 2 - 3 hours to rip the damn things... I suppose I'll live without them.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Northy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:You could just rip the chapter tracks...
How can I do that without ripping all the BD's again, it takes 2 - 3 hours to rip the damn things... I suppose I'll live without them.
If you install a UDF driver (there is one floating around the web for the Toshiba HD-DVD Xbox360 drive), you should be able to point eac3to directly at the disc (after AnyDVD HD has done its magic of course). I'd think this would be quicker than completely ripping the disc, but how much so I'm not sure.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

nightstrm wrote:If you install a UDF driver (there is one floating around the web for the Toshiba HD-DVD Xbox360 drive), you should be able to point eac3to directly at the disc (after AnyDVD HD has done its magic of course). I'd think this would be quicker than completely ripping the disc, but how much so I'm not sure.
It's a lot quicker since the first thing eac3to does is convert the chapter track. So if you just do:

Code: Select all

eac3to e: 1) 1: chapters.txt
It should all be over in seconds. (I'm using Vista which already has the UDF drivers -- it has to be good for something.)
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

This is a quibble, but I thought you might want to know, there is no "chapter track" on BD. There is a chapter list stored with the playlist. This is not part of the m2ts. It is stored in BDMV/PLAYLIST/*.mpls. Each entry of the chapter list defines which m2ts the chapter mark is in and the time index in 45khz ticks. The time is from the beginning of the m2ts clip, so to compute the time from the beginning of the movie, you have to sum the duration of the clips and add the chapter mark time. If any of you have some coding experience, I've already written a parser for playlists that extracts all the needed information. You would just have to write a bit of a shell around it to do the above computations and format the data.
http://www.stebbins.biz/source/bdtools.tgz
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

Has anyone else encountered problems ripping a blu-ray using anyDVD where it says it can't read from the drive, but the movie plays on players just fine?

I'm having this problem with Good Luck Chuck and Black Snake Moan.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

ArrMiHardies wrote:Has anyone else encountered problems ripping a blu-ray using anyDVD where it says it can't read from the drive, but the movie plays on players just fine?

Yep,

I had problems with a few disc's, what solved it was moving to a better drive. I started out with a Fastmac 2x read usb drive, that was really bad with a few discs. Then moved to a Lite-On 4x external, that did the same. Now I use an OWC External drive that has an LG H20 installed in it. This works with all the discs that didn't work on the previous 2 drives, and its fast 6x Read. It looks like discs are very picky when being ripped, even when cleaned before the rip.

Nate
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Just an observation and a question.

Built into AC3 information is code that tells home amplifiers how much compression to use when using the 'Night' settings, or Compression settings at Min. or Max. There are very few systems and encodes that work the same way for DTS. So what's interesting is that when converting DTS tracks to AC3 for conversion in HB, there is no Compression Code being inserted into for our Home Hi-Fi decoders. This is pretty annoying when you live in apartment, why Blu-Ray discs can't have DTS and AC3 on them I will never know, but its a real pain.

Now for a question....

Does HB's DRC use this code when converting the AC3 track to 2 track for TV playback?

I've noticed that when using the DRC on .m2ts encodes that the DRC isn't working as well as a track that was from a DVD rip. I've been using SVN2233. Any ideas?

Nate
ArrMiHardies

Post by ArrMiHardies »

nathug wrote:
ArrMiHardies wrote:Has anyone else encountered problems ripping a blu-ray using anyDVD where it says it can't read from the drive, but the movie plays on players just fine?

Yep,

I had problems with a few disc's, what solved it was moving to a better drive. I started out with a Fastmac 2x read usb drive, that was really bad with a few discs. Then moved to a Lite-On 4x external, that did the same. Now I use an OWC External drive that has an LG H20 installed in it. This works with all the discs that didn't work on the previous 2 drives, and its fast 6x Read. It looks like discs are very picky when being ripped, even when cleaned before the rip.

Nate
I'm already using an LG H20L drive.
CrisisDog

Post by CrisisDog »

nightstrm wrote:
CrisisDog wrote:Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I can't find it...

It works, but .9.3 can be picky about VC1 sources. My only recommendation would be to compile SVN code yourself, or wait for the next developer snapshot/public release as I haven't come across a problem with any VC1 source when using development code.
Thanks for the suggestion. I finally got around to compiling the latest Handbrake code and I've had success in encoding Blu-Ray movies that are in the VC-1 format, works great.

However, still having issues with any HD DVD movie I've tried to rip / convert. Most are VC-1, but did run across a H.264 movie also. Any HD DVD encode I try ends up studdering the audio and video, and I can kinda tell it's not encoding right in Handbrake as a normal Blu-Ray encode may take half a day, while HD DVD encodes tally up to two or three days on my system. I'm demuxing and fixing the seamless branching using eac3to, then remux using tsMuxeR. Works fine without any additional commands on processing Blu-Ray discs, but going through the exact process on HD DVD causes extra encode time and the end result has a lot of studdering and frame drops.

Any clue? Is there a "switch" command I'm missing somewhere for pulldowns that is required on HD DVD, or...???

:?:
GoodOmens
Novice

Post by GoodOmens »

tsMuxer now has a mac version ...

http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html