Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by nightstrm »

Ritsuka wrote:Another new release (0.8a2):

Fixed a a problem with subtitles on iPhone/iPod Touch.
Chapters importing from txt files (mp4chaps format and ogg txt format).
More tags, but a few are read only.
Fixed some languages.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/

An optimize option will come in the next version :)
Fixed a a problem with subtitles on iPhone/iPod Touch.
Can you elaborate on this a little more? What were the problems with subtitles on the iPhone/iPod Touch? I guess I should have tried one when I started adding soft subs to my encodes. Not a huge deal; I can always remove/readd the subtitle tracks with this new version.
Chapters importing from txt files (mp4chaps format and ogg txt format).
More tags, but a few are read only.
Awesome... thanks for this! I will play around with it and update my Advanced Bluray Workflow thread (http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258) accordingly; hopefully I can further consolidate the workflow.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Well I think the iPhone was just hanging and not showing any video. All of this only because I forgot to put a 1 instead of a 0 :roll:
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Ritsuka wrote:Well I think the iPhone was just hanging and not showing any video. All of this only because I forgot to put a 1 instead of a 0 :roll:
LOL, thanks for finding this one... I would have wondered what the heck was going on when I tried to play one on my next trip. I'll take the iPhone versions and remove/readd the subtitle tracks later tonight.
iJoel
Enlightened

Post by iJoel »

Ritsuka wrote:Well I think the iPhone was just hanging and not showing any video. All of this only because I forgot to put a 1 instead of a 0 :roll:
Can't tell you how many times I've done that haha. ;P
Nice work on the app :D.
eduo

Post by eduo »

I really *can't* thank you enough. I'd been pulling my hair at muxo's limbo and trying alternative solutions without any luck.

Yesterday was a very active day for me in the subtitles front (I make a very simple subtitle download tool at eduo.info/soleol ), as I finally threw the towel regarding Muxo ( http://forum.entropicgarden.com/viewtop ... =2&t=14966 ) posted my current process for doing this manually ( http://forum.entropicgarden.com/viewtop ... =2&t=14967 ), got wind of a tool that's able to change the atom for subtitles imported as ttxt by mp4box ( http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145192 ) and then I received a note about Subler and someone replied in MacRumors forums regarding this same subject and I spread the word there as well ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... ost7155639 ).

So, I have the same questions as everyone:

1.-Will this be made into a CLI tool? (I tend to do batches and prefer it to single-file manual processes).
2.-Will this be rolled into handbrake as an alternative to the current support for burned-in subtitles?
3.-Will this be made multiplatform? (or just the CLI? I would like to link to it from my own tool to make it easier to users).

If you feel overwhelmed by the response it's precisely because a lot of us have been waiting for this for a while (hello, Astroboy! :) . I'm half suspecting we flooded entropic to death ;)
eduo

Post by eduo »

If I may make a suggestion:

Please consider taking advantage of Drag & Drop. If I drop a video file and two subtitle files with the same name but with extension .srt or ISO-639-2+ srt (movie.srt or movie.en.srt or movie.sp.srt, etc.) then I want to mash them together.

If I drop twenty movie files, 32 subtitles (some of them are different languages for the same movie) and a couple of MP3 (with the same name as one or two of the movie files) then I want to mash them together.

If I have a movie opened I should be able to drop a subtitle on top of the list to be added to the movie file.

This is exactly in the middle between CLI script support and single-file manual use. And it's the perfect stepping stone to optimizing your workflow without overcomplicating things learning to use the terminal if you don't want to. It's also the most intuitive thing to do :)

Do you plan on completely replacing AtomicParsley for M4V's? I wouldn't mind (as long as it's possible in the CLI).

My current AtomicParsley command is:

Code: Select all

./AtomicParsley "$NEWFILE"  --DeepScan iPod-uuid 1200 --overWrite --stik "TV Show" --title "$EPISODETITLE" --TVShowName "$TVSHOW" --TVEpisode "$EPISODE" --TVSeasonNum "$SEASON" --TVEpisodeNum "$EPID" --comment "Converted and Tagged for iPod by Eduo"
And that's then followed by MP4Box converting a srt to ttxt, importing it, and then using sed (as I can't make sbtlpatch compile and run on my mac http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145192 ) to convert the atom.

It's less than ideal, to say the least.
Last edited by eduo on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

eduo wrote: Do you plan on completely replacing AtomicParsley for M4V's? I wouldn't mind (as long as it's possible in the CLI).

./AtomicParsley "$NEWFILE" --DeepScan iPod-uuid 1200 --overWrite --stik "TV Show" --title "$EPISODETITLE" --TVShowName "$TVSHOW" --TVEpisode "$EPISODE" --TVSeasonNum "$SEASON" --TVEpisodeNum "$EPID" --comment "Converted and Tagged for iPod by Eduo"
I'm 99.9999% sure Subler is using the mp4v2 library for metadata (among other things).

http://code.google.com/p/mp4v2/
eduo

Post by eduo »

nightstrm wrote:
eduo wrote: Do you plan on completely replacing AtomicParsley for M4V's? I wouldn't mind (as long as it's possible in the CLI).

./AtomicParsley "$NEWFILE" --DeepScan iPod-uuid 1200 --overWrite --stik "TV Show" --title "$EPISODETITLE" --TVShowName "$TVSHOW" --TVEpisode "$EPISODE" --TVSeasonNum "$SEASON" --TVEpisodeNum "$EPID" --comment "Converted and Tagged for iPod by Eduo"
I'm 99.9999% sure Subler is using the mp4v2 library for metadata (among other things).

It most probably is and it'd be smart to do so. But the question still stands. :) I'd happily replace my current process with Subler, if subler can do it all from the CLI. I don't move to mp4v2 because it doesn't really offer me any advantage if I still need to use subler afterwards.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

eduo wrote:
nightstrm wrote:

It most probably is and it'd be smart to do so. But the question still stands. :) I'd happily replace my current process with Subler, if subler can do it all from the CLI. I don't move to mp4v2 because it doesn't really offer me any advantage if I still need to use subler afterwards.
I think mp4v2 also has CLI capabilites for adding subtitles to mp4s... but then again, I've never bothered to look.
eduo

Post by eduo »

A quick browse around Subler's source code makes it clear it uses mp4v2, but the subtitle parsing code comes from Perian. I'd assume that's converted into the (somewhat) simple XML format ttxt has on MP4s.
eduo

Post by eduo »

There's a bug in subler. If the subtitle files are modified, moved or deleted before the file is "saved" then the whole .m4v will be corrupted.

I guess adding the subtitle should load it into memory so the original srt file can be moved or changed without breaking the .m4v.

Otherwise have Subler complain and not save.

If you want to do automatic subtitle language detection there are several options out there. I'd advocate Textcat, the one I use.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

How is that a bug? Muxo will do the same thing (at least the one I have), still early days and so far it is better than I could of hoped :D
eduo

Post by eduo »

Northy wrote:How is that a bug? Muxo will do the same thing (at least the one I have), still early days and so far it is better than I could of hoped :D
Please, let's not be irrational. It's a bug even if we are thankful for Subler (and we are). If it can't find the files you've told it it should complain, not corrupt the movie file. I shouldn't need to explain why this is a bug.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

eduo wrote: 1.-Will this be made into a CLI tool? (I tend to do batches and prefer it to single-file manual processes).
2.-Will this be rolled into handbrake as an alternative to the current support for burned-in subtitles?
3.-Will this be made multiplatform? (or just the CLI? I would like to link to it from my own tool to make it easier to users).
1 - Probably I'll make a cli tool, but only to add subtitle tracks, for tags and chapters there are already some good utilities in mp4v2.
2 - Maybe, I think eddyg is working on it.
3 - No, there isn't any plan to make it multiplatform. I want to write a nice mac os x graphical application. There are already more than enough cli tools in the world :lol:

For the bug when it tries to add an inexistent sub files, I fixed it more or less, now it adds an empty subtitle track. And no, it shouldn't read the file in memory when you add it, it may be done with small file, but when you'll start to add audio and video files bigger than 4gb it isn't an option anymore.

The drag and drop idea is nice, I'll add it to my long to-do list :)
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Version 0.8a4 is now up.
New things from version 0.8a2:

Save & Optimize feature.
Track number and Disk number metadata.
Fixed a bug with empty/moved subtitles files.
Added Sparkle for for self-updating.

nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Ritsuka wrote:Version 0.8a4 is now up.
New things from version 0.8a2:

Save & Optimize feature.
Track number and Disk number metadata.
Fixed a bug with empty/moved subtitles files.
Added Sparkle for for self-updating.

Thanks for the continued updates and adding Sparkle is a nice touch as well... I think I'm going to have to rethink my workflow to remove MetaX (if possible) and use Subler to attach the chapter and subtitle tracks, and set the tags so I can use the new save & optimize feature.
eduo

Post by eduo »

Any cli support is better than none..:)

Subtitle CLI tools is precisely what's missing so that would be enough, really.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I put together a simple cli tool yesterday. It adds a subtitle track to a file, and that's all :roll:
http://code.google.com/p/subler/downloads/list
eduo

Post by eduo »

Fantastic! Does it allow for language setting at all? The list of languages Quicktime/iPod uses is public.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Yes it does but I forgot to add it to the help.
-i set input file
-s set subtitle input file
-d set delay in ms
-a set height in pixel
-a set track language (English, Italian, etc)
-h print this help information
-v print version
eduo

Post by eduo »

The language uses the full language name in english? I would've expected a shorter ISO-639-2 or ISO-639-3 code.

I was assuming Quicktime recognizes ISO-639-2 (or -3 ) language lists but I've realized my iPod lists "Spanish" as "Spanish; castilian", which seems to point at more granularity than that (perhaps closer to the LOCALE system of ISO-639-1 + ISO 3166-1).

On the other hand, it may just be incorrect wording in Apple's part, as almost every ISO definition of Spanish "includes Castilian but it's not limited to it". The iPod's presentation seems to imply there's a granularity when it may just be showing an incorrect naming.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Obviously is converted to the right iso code in the mp4… :P
eduo

Post by eduo »

Ritsuka wrote:Obviously is converted to the right iso code in the mp4… :P
No, right. I understood that. I'm sorry. I was wondering out loud what code is used internally by tx3g tracks (which is what I assume we're using inside .m4v mp4 containers) and whether there was a language list to make sure people don't miswrite language names. I prefer ISO codes only because they're "official". But people in a spanish environment might put "español" in the language flag instead of "spanish".
eduo

Post by eduo »

Gosh. Stop paying attention to me. I hadn't realized the code is up. I'll dig through it myself :)
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

Thanks for this great little app! I'm using it (just started today), primarily (so far), to edit the language of audio tracks to get around the QuickTime Player 7.6 bug which crashes out when opening an AVC container with multiple "Unknown" audio tracks.

One other meta data I was curious about adding (because I use the AppleTV A LOT), is the Air Date. This is available in files downloaded from the iTS, but no program I've seen yet has the ability to add/modify that specific item. Is it possible to be able to add this to the list?