Why Can't I Use Turbo First Pass with Xvid?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nonogap

Why Can't I Use Turbo First Pass with Xvid?

Post by nonogap »

Sorry, I couldn't find info on this anywhere and my Handbrake (0.9.3) just won't let me do it
If it just can't work for some reason, do you recommend using AVI with x264 or MKV in order to do so? I am ripping feature films, mostly.

Thanks and keep up the good work.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: Why Can't I Use Turbo First Pass with Xvid?

Post by jbrjake »

Seriously? This wasn't clear enough?
The documentation you surely read before posting wrote:If taking twice as long doesn't sound like a good idea to you, look towards the Turbo checkbox. By enabling this, when encoding 2-pass with x264, you can cut down the time of the first pass by 50%-75%. There will be a drop in quality, but so slight as to be imperceptible to the eye.
AVI shouldn't be used for anything. Ever.
ccjensen

Post by ccjensen »

How come AVI is so awful? I convert all my video to h264 M4V's, but I have some friends who swear by AVIs, and I would love for some ammunition for my discussions with them why M4V's are better :)
nonogap

Post by nonogap »

Why can't I use turbo pass with Xvid? I am curious. If i am not mistaken, one can use Xvid with a MKV file...
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

Because you can only use it with x264.
lishperton

Post by lishperton »

At first I wondered why admins were so harsh...

then I realized nobody reads ANYTHING on this forum.

You asked why you couldn't use turbo with XviD.... it clearly says for x264 only.

x264 is not MKV.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Thanks, lishperton. That made me smile. :-)

@ccjensen: AVI is Microsoft's traditional half-assed non-forward-thinking nonsense. It is simply not designed for the modern world. It has no support for chapters or muxed-in subtitles. It is obsolete. It assumes every frame lasts the same amount of time. It assumes all frames are stored in the same order they are presented. These are stupid assumptions to make because this is not how things actually work. AVI is out of date compared to the MPEG-2 let alone MPEG-4 container.