Blu-ray support?

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Konstantin Prinz

Blu-ray support?

Post by Konstantin Prinz »

Hi,

since the DVD format is becoming dated, how is the planning re supporting the blu-ray format?
A quick forum search came up empty.
I'd love to rip and compress the true HD :)

Cheers
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: Blu-ray support?

Post by nightstrm »

It's already there...
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

It may be possible, but it's not what I would call stable. I've been trying for days to convert blu-ray films, but something always goes wrong. My last attempt resulted in a loss of audio and the picture started breaking up after about 50 min. That was, so far, my most sucesful attempt.

It's also a bit of a shame that I have to log into windows all the time to use AnyDVD HD despite the mac being able to read blu-ray disks from an external drive. AnyDVD HD is also very expensive. I hope someone comes along with an open-source program for this soon. I guess this might happen once Apple officially supports blu-ray with builtin drives and support for the format in DVD Player. It's really annoying to have to reboot just to watch a film. Originally I thought VLC would be able to handle it, but there is no support for blu-ray yet, despite the decryption keys for blu-ray being available on the internet.
tropic10

Post by tropic10 »

I wouldn't hold my breath for a long term open source Bluray decryption program. I'd go into more details but I don't want to break any forum rules.

I use:

1. AnyDVD HD
2. eac3to to mux the video into an MKV file.
3. eac3to to convert any audio tracks to AC3 if needed.
4. Mkvmerge to add audio tracks to the MKV file.
5. Handbrake to transcode the video into a lower bitrate 1080p h264 file.

I'm not saying that this is the best way to do it. But so far, I've had no problems and the process has worked very well for me. I wish I didn't have to use Windows for AnyDVD HD and eac3to but that's what VMware Fusion is for. Also, the process is exactly the same for HD-DVD's which is an added bonus.
siromega

Post by siromega »

Are the CVS versions any more adept at handling BR than 0.9.3? I am curious if updates were made to improve BR handling. I've been struggling all weekend with various tactics to get a BR movie converted down to iPhone res so I can take it with me on my trip this week.

I've tried the method posted above, along with ClownBD. I have the M2TS with the 1080p H.264, 3 AC3 audio tracks (5.1, 2.0 commentary #1, 2.0 commentary #2) and thats it. But HB chokes on it when it goes to scan the file (just says Scanning Title 1 of 1 over and over again). If the CVS version works better at handling this, I'll go through the pain of compiling the windows version, but given all the warnings I wanted to make sure.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

Tropic10, isn't AnyDVD HD the ONLY way to get it off? Not expecting you to point me to anything else, seeing as that would brake rules, just a yes or no answer :)

So have I understood it correctly that there are more complicated legal issues with supporting blu-ray and HD-DVD decryption than there is with DVD or is it just a lot more complicated to achieve?

I expect that once Blu-Ray becomes the standard, someone will sooner or later produce some kind of program for playing them on Linux and maybe even decrypt them, but that, I guess, would probably be four or five years from now. I am hoping though, that handbrake will support ripping unencrypted blu-ray films straight from the disc, just like it does with DVD's.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

AFAIK per standard there aren't any unencrypted Blu Rays. On of the disadvantages compared to the HD DVD.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

I sucsefully converted a blu ray today. Not really sure why it worked now and not the other times I've tried. This is the first time I've tried this specific film though, so that might have something to do with it. It's great being able to watch my legaly purchased disk on my tv for a change instead of having to watch it on a computer screen while logged into vista.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

If you're running semicurrent SVN code, then you shouldn't have trouble.
If you're running 0.9.3, you might get it to work in part, but not fully.

This assumes that you're decrypting it using something else (AnyDVD HD) -- there is no open source Blu-ray decrypter that supports all titles, especially most recent ones.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

It's strange. I discovered that the file I thought was sucesfull was not so, but I now changed one setting in handbrake. Instead of using Constant Quality at 59%, I instead tried selecting avarage bitrate at 2500, and it worked perfectly on all 3 blu ray films I've tried since. I'm not at my computer at the moment, so I can't post the logs, but I'll do it when I get home, if anyone is interested.

Incidently, I'm still using 0.9.3. I tried compiling a newer version, but it was just to much hassle. I couldn't get yasm to work, so I decided just to play with the settings in handbrake instead. Heck, maybe I'll learn a thing or two about video encoding at the same time :)
siromega

Post by siromega »

refulgentis wrote:If you're running semicurrent SVN code, then you shouldn't have trouble.
If you're running 0.9.3, you might get it to work in part, but not fully.

This assumes that you're decrypting it using something else (AnyDVD HD) -- there is no open source Blu-ray decrypter that supports all titles, especially most recent ones.
Yeah, an answer to my question.

Looks like I'll be spending my night d/l the CVS version and compiling on windows. Hopefully this will allow me to get around some video error problems I've been having with eac3to.
siromega

Post by siromega »

Cool, the CVS version compiled (sorta, WinGUI 2166 wont compile, missing x264 panel).

The BR support works well in CVS.

The only question I have now is how to get the chapters in. I can use eac3to to generate a chapter list, I need to write a parser or something to get it into the winGUI... or if someone knows where eac3to gets the chapter information....
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

I'd suggest this excellent thread from nightstorm: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258

Among other things he describes how to get the chapters into the file.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

alehel wrote:Tropic10, isn't AnyDVD HD the ONLY way to get it off? Not expecting you to point me to anything else, seeing as that would brake rules, just a yes or no answer :)
No. There is also DVD Fab HD. I don't know how quickly it is updated to deal with new protection schemes though.

SC
Jethro

Post by Jethro »

DVD Fab Passkey is currently free while in beta.