Copy protection question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Redshadow

Copy protection question

Post by Redshadow »

Is there a quick way to tell if a DVD has copy protection beyond the basic CSS encryption? I can use a solution on either OSX or windows, but I wonder if there is something that can tell me in advance if a DVD is going to require ripping prior to being processed with Handbrake, and saving the time of ripping if it is not required.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Copy protection question

Post by rhester »

The only thing I know of that can indicate what type of actual copy protection is present is AnyDVD on Windows. DVD Decrypter used to show some information but is woefully outdated today.

Rodney
jeffcobb

Post by jeffcobb »

rhester wrote:The only thing I know of that can indicate what type of actual copy protection is present is AnyDVD on Windows. DVD Decrypter used to show some information but is woefully outdated today.

Rodney
I second that. Another tip-off is finding the Sony logo on a popular title ;) but seriously another backward way is to run HandBrakeCLI -t 0 (at least int 9.2) and watch for a segfault (Unhandled exception on Windows, no idea what its called on Mac) or the system binding up. However I suspect that is the point of your question ;)

AnyDVD rocks though; within seconds of inserting a DVD you can know not only IF it was protected but how and you can selectively remove it.
Jeff
markococo

Post by markococo »

Is there another program other than anydvd to rip with as it does not work with my disk drive. I use dvd decrypter which works, is there any loss of quality because it is an old program?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

No, there's no quality loss... there's just no guarantee that it will work with many newer titles.

I suggest looking at DVDFab HD Decrypter instead. It's commercial software, but there's a free edition available that should suffice.

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm