How to add movie ratings to iTunes....

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
tiki

How to add movie ratings to iTunes....

Post by tiki »

Anyone have any idea how to add a movie rating (ex: G, PG, PG-13) to a movie I've encoded with HandBrake and added to iTunes? I saw on my Apple TV that there are parental controls where I can require a password for certain movie ratings. I can't seem to figure out how to add them or if it's even possible.

Thanks in advance!
Cavalicious

Re: How to add movie ratings to iTunes....

Post by Cavalicious »

MetaX
tiki

Post by tiki »

Thanks, looks like that'll do the trick!
GadgetDon

Post by GadgetDon »

Thanks for the advice. I've been using MetaX for a few days for things like rating, cast, and description, and it's great. Once I finally got Bee Movie to rip, instead of my normal "add movie to iTunes, cancel syncing to AppleTV, search amazon.com, get bigger picture, drag to desktop, open in preview, select, trim, save as, edit in iTunes, add picture, tell AppleTV to sync", I just had MetaX grab the info, make the changes, send it to iTunes, and it synced with the picture and such in place.
iggy23

Post by iggy23 »

any Windows software that is capable of adding the Ratings field? (Without breaking the rest of the metadata)
iggy23

Post by iggy23 »

here is another OSX editor:

http://lostify.com/about/

It says it uses Atomic Parsley for metadata editing, so it should be possible to add this stuff in whatever OS. Anyone know what the ratings field is called?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

It is an extended field:

Atom "----" [com.apple.iTunes;iTunEXTC] contains: mpaa|PG|200|

And yes, AtomicParsley SVN will add this tag on all platforms, though there are some caveats. More information can be provided on the AP forums.

Rodney
ashlar

Post by ashlar »

iggy23 wrote:any Windows software that is capable of adding the Ratings field? (Without breaking the rest of the metadata)
I use tagger.jar in the XP enviorment. Just make sure the hard drive you have this file installed on is constantly defragmented or i'tll slow things greatly.

Link: http://apaseltiner.googlepages.com/dist20080114.zip
baggss

Post by baggss »

I've used both Lostify and MetaX and MetaX wins hands down. The ability to queue up multiple files to be tagged all at once is plus. The down side is that MetaX doesn't use the lock function that Lostify does (I've asked for this from the MetaX folks btw).

On a side note, tag chimp is a POS.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

I suggest thetvdb.com for TV shows (what XBMC uses for its parser) and IMDB/Wikipedia for movies. Tag Chimp is a complete joke.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

May i ask why people dislike tagchimp?
I find it very useful.
danhi

Post by danhi »

If you're looking for a tagging program that runs on Windows, try http://www.danhinsley.com/MetaX.htm.
iJoel
Enlightened

Post by iJoel »

ssj2_goha wrote:May i ask why people dislike tagchimp?
I find it very useful.
It comes up with like a trillion matches per movie/show, and
75% of the time, the data is wrong.

It has the potential to be very useful, but it's just not there yet.
tgavin

Post by tgavin »

A little FYI on tagChimp (from its developer).

In an effort to make tagChimp as good as it can be I updated the tagChimp lookup and posting scripts back in February (2009). Pretty much rewrote them both from scratch to make things MUCH more reliable, and with better results. Unfortunately, MetaX (Mac) has not been updated to take advantage of these new features. Actually, because of the new posting script and its requirements (since Feb, 2009) tagChimp won't even accept posts from MetaX (Mac) because the data is dirty (it doesn't conform to the new, stricter standards). However, since MetaX still uses the old lookup script, it (the script) was improved (slightly) so that the search results would match more closely.

Since HB 0.9.3 came out, I've been re-encoding a butt-load of movies and have had excellent results. I'd estimate that about 90% of what I search for in MetaX is the exact thing I was looking for. I hope you're having the same results.

I know these posts are old, however I hope that your opinions about tagChimp have changed since these posts were written. If not, please let me know what can be done to improve your experience.

Thanks,

Tim
adavison

Post by adavison »

I used Meta-X to add the AGE ratings to my films i.e. PG

I can now see the logos in itunes showing the film rating, but this does not sync to the apple TV, anyone got any ideas?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

It won't resync on a ratings change - try removing it from ATV and re-adding it.

Rodney
iJoel
Enlightened

Post by iJoel »

tgavin wrote:A little FYI on tagChimp (from its developer).

In an effort to make tagChimp as good as it can be I updated the tagChimp lookup and posting scripts back in February (2009)...
I haven't used in a long time, but 90% is pretty decent, in which case,
I think I might incorporate it into my new apps. I'll look up the developer scripts.
Thanks for the info ^_^.
tgavin

Post by tgavin »

iJoel wrote:I haven't used in a long time, but 90% is pretty decent, in which case,
I think I might incorporate it into my new apps. I'll look up the developer scripts.
Thanks for the info ^_^.
If MetaX had been updated it'd be higher :)

Great! Let me know if you need any assistance. You can email me at support at tagchimp dot com, or stop by the forums at http://forums.tagchimp.com/

Tim
PatrickSiska

Post by PatrickSiska »

You can edit the metadata for the file in Windows Explorer. Right click on the file for the movie. Go to Properties. On the Details tab, scroll down to the Content section. The first enrty is Parental Rating. Place your cursor to the right column next to Parental Rating and you can see you are able to type. Enter the appropriate rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, NC-17, etc.) and it will appear in iTunes or Windows Media Player. If you like, you also can enter the director, producer, writer and other credits as well.