Turbo 264

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Tobsen

Turbo 264

Post by Tobsen »

Sorry page is in German, but you may be interestet in this Elgato stick:

http://www.macnews.de/news/98679

The article says it works with every QT-App and is faster than a dual G5.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Ok...but HB isn't a QT-app...

And I can only assume it encodes with apple's neutered h.264 profile or it'd be a lot slower.
Kurtz

interesting

Post by Kurtz »

Sounds like a cool idea, and at that price would be worth it just for the occational full res rip to ipod for instance.

Articles im reading say that it has a quicktime module, for QT pro, Imovie etc provided but plans also include a toast and popcorn plugin. wonder if they will provide an SDK so that other plugins can be made. main profits are coming from the hardware so we could see some opensource modules.

Thanks for posting that. Hope it comes to the UK
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

http://blogs.sun.com/seapegasus/entry/t ... e_encoding

It does appear to use Quicktime.

One thing I've never understood about EyeTV though, is that even without QTPro you can export to all sorts of things from EyeTV. Maybe EyeTV uses the QT engine?

In other news, I got a new copy of EyeTV today (a beta version of 2.4). It has an AppleTV export now, but no details on it yet.

Edit: new link that works
Last edited by deckeda on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurtz

Eyetv

Post by Kurtz »

Hi

German article says it has the possibility to work with multiple apps.

EyeTV does use quicktime to export. all the features are already there buying QTpro just unlocks them. EyeTV does the same.

Thanks for posting the link, looks like they are going to bring it in the UK/US.
Aric

Turbo 264

Post by Aric »

I have also heard somewhere that the new mac to be released this year will include the same type of H.264 hardware acceleration. Either way, if something could work with HandBrake it would be amazing. I own a Core 2 iMac which is amazingly fast for day to day tasks, but it just kills me to see how slow it goes when encoding H.264.. :cry:
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

this is a hardware encoder.
it just makes them QT compatible files it doesn't use QT encoder. It does use the QT app as the gui

this is the English announcement
http://iphone-scene.com/iphone-forums/i ... pod-apple-
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Well, Elgato have apparently said that it'll be compatible with "any application that uses QuickTime export" or some such. It could be poor reporting but that sounds like it's some type of QT component?

Sort of cool, but if I can't get chapter marks, anamorphic encoding, 5.1AAC... then I'm certainly not spending €99. That money could be much better spent, on things such as beer... Do we even know if it can rip DVDs yet?
deckeda
Enlightened

Post by deckeda »

If what can rip DVDs? The turbo.264 stick? It speeds up encoding for some apps, I doubt it adds functionality.

it doesn't use QT encoder.

MySchizoBuddy, how do you know? What else does it use?

It does use the QT app as the gui

Makes no sense to me. How is an app a GUI? Do you mean it's a skin for Quicktime Player? Even that doesn't make sense here.
drunkenrobot

Post by drunkenrobot »

deckeda wrote:If what can rip DVDs? The turbo.264 stick? It speeds up encoding for some apps, I doubt it adds functionality.

it doesn't use QT encoder.

MySchizoBuddy, how do you know? What else does it use?

It does use the QT app as the gui

Makes no sense to me. How is an app a GUI? Do you mean it's a skin for Quicktime Player? Even that doesn't make sense here.
Of course it won't rip DVDs directly, that would be illegal. It is a hardware encoder. Its compatibility with quicktime would make it trivial to call the device from Handbrake though.

It's a hardware h.264 encoder. It doesn't use quicktime's software encoder. It uses a quicktime component to tell quicktime that the h.264 hardware is there. The QT app is a GUI for quicktime, it is a skin for the Quicktime core.

It would be the same as adding the 3ivx D4 4.5.1 for OSX quicktime component to your Quicktime folder. Except, instead of executing code that runs on the CPU, it executes code that runs on the USB stick.

Theoretically it would be quite simple to modify Handbrake to call this device instead of the 264 software encoder that it currently uses.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

drunkenrobot wrote:Theoretically it would be quite simple to modify Handbrake to call this device instead of the 264 software encoder that it currently uses.
I presume you are saying this with absolutely no familiarity with the code, correct?

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

drunkenrobot wrote:Its compatibility with quicktime would make it trivial to call the device from Handbrake though.
Wow, your blatant ignorance is matched only by your confidence.

Maybe before making judgments about what is and is not "trivial" you should, perhaps, take a cursory glance at the source code? Or maybe just read the very thread you're posting in? You know? The one where I already stated:

Ok...but HB isn't a QT-app...
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

WOW ! JR, you come down strong eh? :twisted:
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

deckeda wrote:If what can rip DVDs? The turbo.264 stick?
Surprisingly, yes. Who'd'a thunk it, me talking about the subject of this thread? :)
deckeda wrote:It speeds up encoding for some apps, I doubt it adds functionality.
Unfortunately, I fear you're right.
drunkenrobot wrote:Of course it won't rip DVDs directly, that would be illegal.
Nope. It's illegal in the USA to rip copy-protected DVDs. It's totally legal to rip DVDs not protected with CSS, and in many other countries the law is either less clear or completely different.
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

here is another product that does the same thing as elgato one.
its $79
http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-160 ... id=RDX-160

Doesn't support Apple TV though
Tobsen

Post by Tobsen »

drunkenrobot wrote:It would be the same as adding the 3ivx D4 4.5.1 for OSX quicktime component to your Quicktime folder. Except, instead of executing code that runs on the CPU, it executes code that runs on the USB stick.
Why not add QT-Export Support to Handbrake? Then we could use DivX, 3ivX, all the other codecs and t.264 too?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

HandBrake has no ties to the QuickTime API, and being a multiplatform application, this is not expected to change.

Rodney
Tobsen

Post by Tobsen »

rhester wrote:HandBrake has no ties to the QuickTime API, and being a multiplatform application, this is not expected to change.

Rodney
QT is aviable on Windows too and as far as I know there was a Linux-QT Project...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'll be more clear: HandBrake will not be adjoining the QuickTime API. The codec model is one of using open-source integrated codecs only.

Rodney
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

MySchizoBuddy wrote:here is another product that does the same thing as elgato one.
its $79

So when the page you linked to says "Compatible with Apple TV" they don't really mean it?
tutru

Post by tutru »

mduell wrote:
MySchizoBuddy wrote:here is another product that does the same thing as elgato one.
its $79

So when the page you linked to says "Compatible with Apple TV" they don't really mean it?
Compatible with Apple TVs, but not Apple Computers.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

there is something really fishy about this product... 20 mins to encode a video that usually takes 5 hours? ide love to get my hands on one just to play arround... i suppose it would not matter what machine you are using anymore since all the encoding would be done on the thumbdrive... what kind of hardware could then have in there?

i smell a scam honestly.
tutru

Post by tutru »

loyalty_anchored wrote:there is something really fishy about this product... 20 mins to encode a video that usually takes 5 hours? ide love to get my hands on one just to play arround... i suppose it would not matter what machine you are using anymore since all the encoding would be done on the thumbdrive... what kind of hardware could then have in there?

i smell a scam honestly.
Which product are you talking about? The Elgato website shows 59:30 mins without Turbo264 - 11:17 with. I doubt Elgato would be scamming anyone, but I am sure "real world" results will vary.
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

tutru wrote:
loyalty_anchored wrote:there is something really fishy about this product... 20 mins to encode a video that usually takes 5 hours? ide love to get my hands on one just to play arround... i suppose it would not matter what machine you are using anymore since all the encoding would be done on the thumbdrive... what kind of hardware could then have in there?

i smell a scam honestly.
Which product are you talking about? The Elgato website shows 59:30 mins without Turbo264 - 11:17 with. I doubt Elgato would be scamming anyone, but I am sure "real world" results will vary.
i was refering to ADStech. they gave stats of 5 hours using software VS 20 mins using the stick.
tutru

Post by tutru »

loyalty_anchored wrote:
tutru wrote:

i smell a scam honestly.
i was refering to ADStech. they gave stats of 5 hours using software VS 20 mins using the stick.
It will be interesting to see what they do in the real world. Some of the boards have intimated that they are the same device with different branding.