AppleTV 2.3 update breaks AC3 5.1playback?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
nightstrm
Veteran User

AppleTV 2.3 update breaks AC3 5.1playback?

Post by nightstrm »

While I haven't tried to playback anything myself (and I'm currently at work), I have read an number of posts on other forums (Apple Discussion Forums, MacRumors, etc) stating that the new 2.3 update has broken 5.1 playback from Handbrake rips. Anyone with access to an updated AppleTV want to test and confirm/deny this?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: AppleTV 2.3 update breaks 5.1?

Post by Ritsuka »

Maybe they ripped them with only the ac3 track and the atv want's an aac track too.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Haven't tried it yet. But (gulp) will. At least they did it right before our release so hopefully we can fix it before it goes out (or they can, whichever).

I also wonder if they are getting the dd signal on the intro movie, which of course eddyg reverse engineered to get HB working with ac3 (unless the update installs a new intro movie as well).
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

One other thought, *if* it does break 0.9.2 compatibility I wonder if http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1879 change helps our snapshots to be more compliant ?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

dynaflash wrote:Haven't tried it yet. But (gulp) will. At least they did it right before our release so hopefully we can fix it before it goes out (or they can, whichever).

I also wonder if they are getting the dd signal on the intro movie, which of course eddyg reverse engineered to get HB working with ac3 (unless the update installs a new intro movie as well).
That's why I wanted to post this even though I hadn't had a chance to test it myself yet. :D

Good luck; I hope your results do not confirm what has been posted. Honestly, I haven't seen a ton of posts about it, so it could be a few users making a huge stink about something they did wrong...
One other thought, *if* it does break 0.9.2 compatibility I wonder if http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1879 change helps our snapshots to be more compliant ?
Good question; I had forgotten about this.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV 2.3 update breaks AC3 5.1playback?

Post by dynaflash »

as well, I wonder if the update turns off the dd in the atv prefs and you have to go back and turn it on. I will be able to see this afternoon if someone doesnt beat me to it.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Same here; I'm tempted to go home "sick" today. :wink:
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

While we wait, I've also seen reports of the HD logo showing up in the movies section... before it was limited to TV Shows. And video playlists!
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

I'd like to report that the update has NOT affected any of my encodes, with the DD5.1 soundtrack working no problem. I can also confirm the shiny HD logo does now appear in the Movies section.
Video Playlists too - bonus
wrkngclsshro

Post by wrkngclsshro »

I can also confirm that I am still getting 5.1 (on both 0.9.2 as well as various snapshots for 0.9.3).

Dynaflash...My DD option was unaffected by the upgrade, but maybe that is what is affecting the couple of people complaining of the issue.

HD logo is there too.
Deleted User 5579

Post by Deleted User 5579 »

I haven't updated yet, but are your HB encodes only DD audio AC3 or did you also include AAC, as the default AppleTV preset?
wrkngclsshro

Post by wrkngclsshro »

I did both encodes. Both meaning AC3 plus AAC.
Last edited by wrkngclsshro on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedsdead

Post by zedsdead »

The 2.3 update DOES NOT break compatibility, at least for me. Tried two movies and a music DVD all in 5.1 with no problems so far.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Could you try a video with only an ac3 track?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Awesome news... I couldn't imagine Apple changed something in the way they processed MP4s with AC3 and AAC. :mrgreen:

Now I can spend some time trying to figure out how to convert my Serenity HD-DVD rip. With HD flagging in movies now, I wonder how long it will be before someone figures out how to combine the SD+HD version into one entry...
benrh

Post by benrh »

Confirmed problem no 5.1 via HDMI or Optical however I do get 5.1 on the Apple start up screen. In my case my own files only have AC3 soundtracks and when I play back I get no sound in 2.3 in 2.2 I get 5.1. All created in Handbrake 9.2 on the Mac
I'll try one with AC3 and AAC and see....
Deleted User 5579

wrkngclsshro wrote:I did both encodes. Both meaning AC3 plus AAC.
Can you try one with just AC3 track and no AAC? I hope ATV isn't looking for AAC track in order for it to allow AC3 passthrough.
Deleted User 5579

benrh wrote:Confirmed problem no 5.1 via HDMI or Optical however I do get 5.1 on the Apple start up screen. In my case my own files only have AC3 soundtracks and when I play back I get no sound in 2.3 in 2.2 I get 5.1. All created in Handbrake 9.2 on the Mac
I'll try one with AC3 and AAC and see....
I bet your right that it won't play files with just AC3, and works fine with both AC3 and AAC included. OH boy, I hope I don't have to start redoing my files.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Well, Apple cares only about files with both aac and ac3 tracks. And the AppleTV preset uses both.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

Yep - just done a quick test and created 2 files, one with AC3 only and one with both AAC & AC3. The AC3 only movie had no sound, the one with both tracks played the DD5.1 track.
Glad i did all mine with the preset defaults for audio.
bacaramac

Post by bacaramac »

Can't wait to get home and test this out. I started with the iPod HighRez preset as my base setting and changed the audio to the AAC+AC3 container that is used in the ATV preset and then modified my video settings. Hopefully mine still works. Fingers crossed.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Sounds like you should be fine since both tracks are included.
hitekalex

Post by hitekalex »

That's a big relief - all my movies are encoded with AC3+AAC. I am going to give 2.3 a try after all when I get home.
BucksSaddler
Novice

Post by BucksSaddler »

Slightly off topic: In response to your question on IRC Dynaflash about 2 audio tracks with differing names, it still doesn't recognise the AC3 by default - you have to select it. However, as before, it does remember it as default the next time.
Responded here as i have no IRC client installed at the mo.
Back on topic.......
Deleted User 5579

BucksSaddler wrote:Yep - just done a quick test and created 2 files, one with AC3 only and one with both AAC & AC3. The AC3 only movie had no sound, the one with both tracks played the DD5.1 track.
Glad i did all mine with the preset defaults for audio.
Thanks for checking. I think I'll skip this update. I have too many with just AC3 only and ATV update is not that compelling enough to make me redo these files.