XBMC on Apple TV Take 2

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cvk_b
Veteran User

XBMC on Apple TV Take 2

Post by cvk_b »

Pros:
  • With correctly named files, all your metadata is taken care of for you
  • Access to network shares
  • Presentation by the people, for the people
  • Skins, plugins, add-ons
  • Matroska, Vorbis, more
  • "atvusb-creator" makes this the easiest hack ever
Cons:
  • No GPU decoding!
  • Broken options: In-Loop deblock, variable framerate

xbmc-on-atv CRF NTSC film v2.0

Code: Select all

./HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/films/VIDEO_TS -o /dev/output/The\ Film\ (2009).mkv --audio=1,1 --aencoder=ac3,vorbis --ab=auto,192 --arate=auto,48 --loosePixelratio=16 --width=720 --encoder=x264 --quality=19.6 --format=mkv --rate=23.976 --x264opts=cabac=1:trellis=1:fast-pskip=0:psy-rd=1,0.2:ref=4:mixed-refs=1:bframes=3:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:direct=auto:b-adapt=2:me=umh:me-range=32:subme=9:8x8dct=1:nf=1
xbmc-on-atv CRF NTSC video v2.0

./HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/films/VIDEO_TS -o /dev/output/The\ Film\ (2009).mkv --audio=1,1 --aencoder=ac3,vorbis --ab=auto,192 --arate=auto,48 --loosePixelratio=16 --width=720 --encoder=x264 --quality=19.6 --format=mkv --decomb --detelecine --rate=29.97 --x264opts=cabac=1:trellis=1:fast-pskip=0:ref=4:mixed-refs=1:bframes=6:b-pyramid=1:weightb=1:direct=auto:me=umh:me-range=32:subme=7:8x8dct=1:nf=1
[/size]Notes:
a.) AC3 passthru recommended (no decoding required by CPU).
b.) Using MKV you can watch films as they encode (no seek).
c.) Probably safe to use 2pass turbo with 1000-1300ish bitrate to curb file sizes, if desired
Last edited by cvk_b on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: commands now use constant frame rate and constant quality
cvk_b
Veteran User

Universal HandBrake Preset for XBMC on AppleTV

Post by cvk_b »

Just thought I'd chime back in. If you want to get HB's Universal preset to work with xbmc-on-atv and play smooth without buffering issues etc., You can change to following:

Start with the universal preset.
Select a constant framerate, such as 23.976 or 29.97
Check Web Optimized.
Add

:nf=1
to the advanced x264 preferences.
File sizes will be a tiny bit larger.

This allows you to view your movies in both interfaces.
Tommasino

Re: XBMC on Apple TV

Post by Tommasino »

I'm fairly new to encoding for Apple TV (or any H.264 for that matter). Can you explain what you mean with
"With correctly named files, all your metadata taken care of for you"?

Also, I see a lot of posts on tips and presets for the Apple TV and XBMC but few that address the needs of XBMC ON AppleTV (like you said, the fact that it doesn't use the GPU whereas the AppleTV natively does). So was wondering if there are any tips on that front.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Metadata and XBMC on Apple TV

Post by cvk_b »

Tommasino wrote:Can you explain what you mean with
"With correctly named files, all your metadata taken care of for you"?

The metadata is not added to your file, just cached by xbmc. http://bit.ly/EKiB

Tommasino wrote:..but few that address the needs of XBMC ON AppleTV (like you said, the fact that it doesn't use the GPU whereas the AppleTV natively does). So was wondering if there are any tips on that front.

My recommendation is to use the modified Universal Preset as mentioned above. If you want better quality increase the quality percentage.
Fawx

Post by Fawx »

cvk_b, I just wanted to thank you for these settings. I switched to XBMC on my Leopard HTPC and have been laboriously re-ripping my dvd collection (I should have saved the rips last time...am this time...) and running them through handbrake again. Your settings have given me files that have amazing quality and in pretty much every case, significantly smaller file sizes. The settings are definitely very cpu intensive (I get about 27 frames per second on a 3GHz quad core), but the results are more than worth it.

Thank you for sharing this information. I love XBMC, and Handbrake is giving amazing results with your settings.

Cheers,

Fawx
dan1son

Post by dan1son »

I've had an ATV since November and have been continuously fighting choppy playback when using XBMC/boxee and Handbrake created files. I have tried every combination of encode settings I could think of, or find online (never tried another encoder since I run a Mac... not much else around) and would ALWAYS get sort of stuttery or choppy playback (even though XBMC claimed no framedrops). Sort of like the frames stop for a small portion of a second and then jump forward randomly every couple of seconds.

Last night I was looking through the xbmc logs and noticed this

ERROR: CDVDPlayerVideo::OpenStream - Invalid framerate 48000, using forced 25fps and just trust timestamps
NOTICE:  fps: 25.000000, pwidth: 720, pheight: 480, dwidth: 720, dheight: 404
Which looks like XBMC can't decide on a framerate for the file. I then re-encoded the file with a forced framerate of 23.976fps and playback seems perfectly smooth (as smooth as DVD playback anyway), and XBMC knew the framerate.

I'm not blaming handbrake, but I'm curious if you guys have any advice or ideas. I'm also not completely sure what happens when I do force a framerate of 24fps and some of the dvd is shot at 30fps.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
cvk_b
Veteran User

VFR and XBMC + AppleTV

Post by cvk_b »

dan1son wrote:I've had an ATV since November and have been continuously fighting choppy playback when using XBMC/boxee and Handbrake created files. I have tried every combination of encode settings I could think of, or find online (never tried another encoder since I run a Mac... not much else around) and would ALWAYS get sort of stuttery or choppy playback (even though XBMC claimed no framedrops). Sort of like the frames stop for a small portion of a second and then jump forward randomly every couple of seconds.

Last night I was looking through the xbmc logs and noticed this

ERROR: CDVDPlayerVideo::OpenStream - Invalid framerate 48000, using forced 25fps and just trust timestamps
NOTICE:  fps: 25.000000, pwidth: 720, pheight: 480, dwidth: 720, dheight: 404
Which looks like XBMC can't decide on a framerate for the file. I then re-encoded the file with a forced framerate of 23.976fps and playback seems perfectly smooth (as smooth as DVD playback anyway), and XBMC knew the framerate.

I'm not blaming handbrake, but I'm curious if you guys have any advice or ideas. I'm also not completely sure what happens when I do force a framerate of 24fps and some of the dvd is shot at 30fps.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
[/size]

Your post spawned an interesting conversation on IRC about how HB sets the timescale concerning variable framerate encodes. Yes, set a constant framerate for xbmc-on-atv. I will update my original post, which will now require a separate preset for telecined content.
dan1son

Re: XBMC on Apple TV Take 2 [UPDATED]

Post by dan1son »

Interesting. I was going to follow this up with some further tests I made, and just noticed your response... There's definitely something odd happening with a specific combination. I've also been posting about this on the XBMC forums and this morning I made some samples for one of the XBMC devs to take a look at. I haven't heard back from him yet.

I wanted to let you know that this problem seems very specific to MP4 container files using "Same as source" or "Same as source and detelecined (VFR)", such as the default AppleTV preset. The problem doesn't appear in identical encodes using the MKV container. Although the MKV container is basically useless in ATVFiles/Nito since Perian doesn't play smooth until the whole file is looked at, which takes forever over Wi-Fi.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

dan1son wrote:Interesting. I was going to follow this up with some further tests I made, and just noticed your response... There's definitely something odd happening with a specific combination. I've also been posting about this on the XBMC forums and this morning I made some samples for one of the XBMC devs to take a look at. I haven't heard back from him yet.

I wanted to let you know that this problem seems very specific to MP4 container files using "Same as source" or "Same as source and detelecined (VFR)", such as the default AppleTV preset. The problem doesn't appear in identical encodes using the MKV container. Although the MKV container is basically useless in ATVFiles/Nito since Perian doesn't play smooth until the whole file is looked at, which takes forever over Wi-Fi.
Well, I hope the xbmc devs look into the vfr issue. Keep us posted on that, if anything good comes of it. If you are interested you can follow the split of this topic in this very technical developer thread, which looks into improving HB's CFR code.
dan1son

Post by dan1son »

I appreciate the developer link it was mostly followable... I am actually a software developer, not so much with video encoding of course :).

I do have a question or two related to that thread, and the question is probably only needed because I'm new to Handbrake and don't really understand how everything works. The first post is talking about "Same as Source" encodes, but the rest of it is about CFR (constant framerate) encodes. My understanding is that "Same as source" keeps the existing timecodes from the original video, so the 24fps portions stay 24fps and the 30fps portions stay 30fps. I'm also assuming "Same as source" with detelecine will automatically convert a 30fps telecined section into 24fps detelecined video so it no longer maintains the framerate of the original source, so it's not really "same as source" anymore. Is that correct?

Also I have been encoding with forced framerate of 23.976fps with detelecine turned on, I was assuming since the original is mostly 23.976fps it shouldn't detelecine anything anyway. Based on that thread it looks like that could cause problems in 0.9.3. So basically the fix you're testing is doing the detelecine first, so if there are 30fps telecined sections it'll change those to 24fps and then during the CFR conversion it won't change anything further.

One more quick one, what is the "old same as source".
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

dan1son wrote:My understanding is that "Same as source" keeps the existing timecodes from the original video, so the 24fps portions stay 24fps and the 30fps portions stay 30fps. I'm also assuming "Same as source" with detelecine will automatically convert a 30fps telecined section into 24fps detelecined video so it no longer maintains the framerate of the original source, so it's not really "same as source" anymore. Is that correct?
Yes
dan1son wrote:
Also I have been encoding with forced framerate of 23.976fps with detelecine turned on, I was assuming since the original is mostly 23.976fps it shouldn't detelecine anything anyway. Based on that thread it looks like that could cause problems in 0.9.3. So basically the fix you're testing is doing the detelecine first, so if there are 30fps telecined sections it'll change those to 24fps and then during the CFR conversion it won't change anything further.
Detelecine is generally safe to leave on as long as you keep the same-as-source option. Yes, the fix would allow forcing a framerate with the use of detelecine (or, at least, improve the results). Lots of GUI changes are going on in development right now. No telling when this core change will go in.
dan1son wrote:
One more quick one, what is the "old same as source".
The old version would simply choose constant 23.976,25, or 29.97 depending on a best guess.
dan1son

[PATCH] Framerate Improvements

Post by dan1son »

For the record, I'm the one who made the initial post that apparently spawned this one. I'm not a handbrake developer, but I do develop software professionally.

When I first read this post I checked out trunk, applied this patch, built it using X-code (nice build btw), and started doing a bunch of encodes. I have to say my initial tests are very positive. I was having issues with a huge number of dropped/dupped frames when using CFR (I was about to post on that before I saw this thread) which was causing odd results on some videos and the new CFR code appears to fix that.

One recommendation related to the detelecine filter is to make it possible for the filter to check the video and see what the fps outcome will be AFTER it's applied. It seems as though if I take a 30fps (rounding up here) video, run detelecine on it, and output it at 24fps I have no real way to know, before doing the encode, that 24fps was the correct output or that detelecine worked as expected. The new live preview thing looks like it might help that, but some sort of framerate output would be perfect for times when CFR is required.

Thanks for the good work... The new version looks very promising so far.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: [PATCH] Framerate Improvements

Post by jbrjake »

dan1son wrote:One recommendation related to the detelecine filter is to make it possible for the filter to check the video and see what the fps outcome will be AFTER it's applied.
Huh? How can it know what the output would be after it's applied until after it's applied it?
It seems as though if I take a 30fps (rounding up here) video, run detelecine on it, and output it at 24fps I have no real way to know, before doing the encode, that 24fps was the correct output
...24fps isn't the correct output, ever, because the filter doesn't produce constant framerate output. That's your whole problem. You're forcing a constant rate because your device is highly limited. If the "correct" output was 24 why would you need this sync patch?
or that detelecine worked as expected.
Huh? It tells you exactly how many frames it dropped and extended and so does the sync patch.
The new live preview thing looks like it might help that, but some sort of framerate output would be perfect for times when CFR is required.
And again I say...huh? Framerate output? What?
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Look for "render" lines in the log.
dan1son

Post by dan1son »

jbrjake wrote:Huh? How can it know what the output would be after it's applied until after it's applied it?
I was referring to running a small subsection of the video through the filter without producing output, but just to get some timing information.

Maybe I'm assuming that if the entire movie is hard telecined from 24fps to 30 on the dvd, that when you detelecine it the outcome will be proper 24fps as the original source film was. If that's never the case then my statements are as useless as you made obvious.
...24fps isn't the correct output, ever, because the filter doesn't produce constant framerate output. That's your whole problem. You're forcing a constant rate because your device is highly limited. If the "correct" output was 24 why would you need this sync patch?
I was more interested in this patch right now because the third version of it fixed a bug in the CFR code that was causing huge amounts of dropped and duped frames when they shouldn't be. The addition of the ability to run the detelecine filter before CFR is a bonus, and got me thinking about ways to know if detelecine was doing what I wanted to 30fps hard telecined dvds.
Huh? It tells you exactly how many frames it dropped and extended and so does the sync patch.

And again I say...huh? Framerate output? What?
The framerate output I was recommending would only be useful if you require CFR. Sort of like a "this is what we expect the resulting framerate to be after the detelecine filter is run" so a smarter decision on a CFR could be made. I realize that output framerate will differ for different parts of the dvd (if the DVD changes in places), so using the preview pane to allow you to select portions to test against might be handy.

The number of extended, dropped, and dupped frames is useful, but a simple (fps speed) is even better if attempting to pick the best CFR.

I'd really rather not use CFR, but currently that's giving me the best outcome for XBMC/Boxee.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

dan1son wrote:I was referring to running a small subsection of the video through the filter without producing output, but just to get some timing information.
That's useless. It's a stateless filter. It does not use a constant drop pattern.
Maybe I'm assuming that if the entire movie is hard telecined from 24fps to 30 on the dvd, that when you detelecine it the outcome will be proper 24fps as the original source film was. If that's never the case then my statements are as useless as you made obvious.
I have never seen a detelecined source come out to exactly 23.976. Have you? Which?
The framerate output I was recommending would only be useful if you require CFR. Sort of like a "this is what we expect the resulting framerate to be after the detelecine filter is run" so a smarter decision on a CFR could be made. I realize that output framerate will differ for different parts of the dvd (if the DVD changes in places), so using the preview pane to allow you to select portions to test against might be handy.
...huh? If you test against several sections and they show different times then by definition there is no "correct" constant framerate. And if they all show the same time you don't need to know the FPS since you could just use the regular same as source mode.
I'd really rather not use CFR, but currently that's giving me the best outcome for XBMC/Boxee.
I still have no idea what your problem was with just using a constant 29.97 fps with detelecine. It's like you want mixed sources to stutter.

EDIT: Split and merged back into support thread
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

jbrjake wrote:EDIT: Split and merged back into support thread
Proper.

:arrow: I started this thread to help xbmc-on-atv users. I will continue to offer support for the commands in post #1 of this thread and adjust them as official binaries are released and/or as users relate improvements to me here. Certainly those commands need further refinement.
dan1son

Post by dan1son »

jbrjake I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I appologize if I wasn't quite as informed as I thought I was. I've been encoding my dvd collection for use on the AppleTV and XBMC/boxee for a couple of months and have only really dug into some issues I've seen in the last couple of weeks. I research the crap out of stuff before posting, especially on a developer site, but I guess I'm still a bit lacking on the constant framerate stuff in Handbrake. Maybe I should look at the code directly, as the wiki doesn't really explain what happens if you encode 24fps video at 30fps or vice versa. I was assuming encoded mixed content at a CFR of 30fps would cause jitters on 24fps sections... is that a wrong assumption?

The only thing I am concerned with is getting smooth playback. Getting high quality video is already easy and fantastic... it's the jitters that I've seen problems with.

The problem I found with using the regular "same as source" mode is that XBMC/boxee is incapable of distinguishing the framerate on mp4 files (even fully 23.976fps ones) that were encoded using "same as source" and thus causes jumpy playback. MKV files with the same settings work fine, but for some reason MP4 files get confused. I originally posted to try to get some insight into if this was a handbrake or XBMC problem. That post apparently spawned discussions about CFR and detelecine.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

dan1son wrote:The problem I found with using the regular "same as source" mode is that XBMC/boxee is incapable of distinguishing the framerate on mp4 files (even fully 23.976fps ones) that were encoded using "same as source" and thus causes jumpy playback.
dan1son wrote:I originally posted to try to get some insight into if this was a handbrake or XBMC problem..

It's xbmc apparently, cause I can tell you that unhacked, the atv has no problems with HandBrakes Same as source framerate in an mp4.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Just to be clear, for users considering hacking... installing xbmc on the atv does not "do anything" to the normal playback operation of the ATV. So if someone says "it doesn't work on the xmbc, but works great on the stock software", that could happen on the same box simultaneously. The xbmc is just like a movie player application on the ATV. You don't have to use it if it's installed. You can just select your content from the normal menu and enjoy what everybody does.
brucek2

Post by brucek2 »

@previous contributors to this thread: thanks! I just gave xbmc on atv a try and you all saved me what would otherwise have been a pile of mysteries to work through.
dan1son

Post by dan1son »

Just wanted to update this thread with some new information I've noticed.

In regards to handbrake. The new SVN builds contain some framerate improvement code, which makes constant framerate detelecine work quite a bit better. If my understanding is correct, the order of the filters and the framerate change code itself was changed. So now the detelecine will run BEFORE the constant framerate code, which fixes some issues with many dropped/duped frames that shouldn't be. There's also a new "peak framerate" which can help with 720p AppleTV encodes.

In regards to XBMC. The new version (Babylon) and their SVN branch sometime in the last 6 weeks contains a simple code change that drastically effects the output of Variable Framerate encodes. Van found it in the "framerate improvement" thread in the development section, and basically before it looks like it was deciding on a framerate and timing the images based on that alone. Now it looks at the length of the frame instead (duh). It made a huge difference and I am no longer using Constant framerates, and my older VFR encodes work great in XBMC now.

Thanks for the excellent work. Handbrake + XBMC + ATV is working perfect for me now.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

There is no doubt that users of xbmc-on-atv will have a better experience when 0.9.4 eventually comes out.
zoom

Post by zoom »

I've been having audio sync problems, too... found this thread and wanted to see if I could revive it.

I'm doing the same thing - taking some of my TV show DVD's and splitting them into episodes for XMBC on ATV. I've been having a hard time finding good settings that work for everything, but that's a separate issue. All of my resulting files have this audio sync problem, to one degree or another. In XBMC, I can tweak this per episode and fix it, but that's tedious. It's about 125-150 ms off, based on my tweaking.

My settings are listed below.

If I understand correctly, someone has suggested using constant frame rate (CFR) to fix this? I would do this by forcing a FR of 29.97 instead of "same as source", is that right? And if I do that, will it significantly affect the encode time?

Or is there some other setting I have wrong?

Okay... I'll go ahead and ask, as long as I'm posting... the settings below seem to work pretty well for regular TV shows, but when I try animated TV shows (eg, Scooby Doo), the quality is worse. I'm not a video encoding expert, so I can't qualify the artifacts I'm seeing, but I can definitely see some sort of digital artifacting in the playback. It's hard to describe, but I can see minute blocking or jaggies or something.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
	<dict>
		<key>AudioList</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>AudioBitrate</key>
				<string>448</string>
				<key>AudioEncoder</key>
				<string>AC3 Passthru</string>
				<key>AudioMixdown</key>
				<string>AC3 Passthru</string>
				<key>AudioSamplerate</key>
				<string>Auto</string>
				<key>AudioTrack</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>AudioTrackDRCSlider</key>
				<real>1</real>
				<key>AudioTrackDescription</key>
				<string>English (AC3) (5.1 ch)</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>ChapterMarkers</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>Default</key>
		<integer>2</integer>
		<key>FileFormat</key>
		<string>MKV file</string>
		<key>Folder</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Mp4HttpOptimize</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Mp4LargeFile</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>Mp4iPodCompatible</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureAutoCrop</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>PictureBottomCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDeblock</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDecomb</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDecombCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDecombDeinterlace</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>PictureDeinterlace</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDeinterlaceCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDenoise</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDenoiseCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureDetelecine</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureDetelecineCustom</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PictureHeight</key>
		<integer>480</integer>
		<key>PictureKeepRatio</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureLeftCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PicturePAR</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>PictureRightCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureTopCrop</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>PictureWidth</key>
		<integer>720</integer>
		<key>PresetBuildNumber</key>
		<string>2009112300</string>
		<key>PresetDescription</key>
		<string></string>
		<key>PresetName</key>
		<string>TV shows for XBMC on AppleTV</string>
		<key>Type</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>UsesMaxPictureSettings</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>UsesPictureFilters</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>UsesPictureSettings</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoAvgBitrate</key>
		<string>1800</string>
		<key>VideoEncoder</key>
		<string>MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)</string>
		<key>VideoFramerate</key>
		<string>Same as source</string>
		<key>VideoGrayScale</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoQualitySlider</key>
		<real>12</real>
		<key>VideoQualityType</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>VideoTargetSize</key>
		<string>700</string>
		<key>VideoTurboTwoPass</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>VideoTwoPass</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>x264Option</key>
		<string>ref=3:mixed-refs=1:bframes=6:weightb=1:direct=auto:b-pyramid=1:me=umh:subq=9:analyse=all:8x8dct=1:trellis=1:nr=150:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=1,1</string>
	</dict>
</array>
</plist>
cvk_b
Veteran User

Re: XBMC on Apple TV Take 2

Post by cvk_b »

Please do not necro post. This thread is obsolete now. Also, you didn't provide the proper activity log for anyone to help you.