How To: Rip, Encode and Combine Using Fairmount & DTOX

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Re: How To: Rip, Encode and Combine Using Fairmount & DTOX

Post by Cavalicious »

Which Movie?
mvxii

Post by mvxii »

Cavalicious wrote:Which Movie?
I've tried Transformers, Samurai Champloo Vol. 1, and Star Wars Episode 4
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hmm...I've used this for both Transformers and Episode IV. Never had that happen. if you feed the fairmount image directly to HB how long does it say it will take?
mvxii

Post by mvxii »

Cavalicious wrote:hmm...I've used this for both Transformers and Episode IV. Never had that happen. if you feed the fairmount image directly to HB how long does it say it will take?
I didn't even know you could do that. I'm trying it right now.
mvxii

Post by mvxii »

mvxii wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:hmm...I've used this for both Transformers and Episode IV. Never had that happen. if you feed the fairmount image directly to HB how long does it say it will take?
I didn't even know you could do that. I'm trying it right now.
HB: "Source: Scanning title 1 of 16...." For about the past 30 min. :(
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I think its hardware then. I really don't know what to say.
saverio

Post by saverio »

Hi, I hope that anyone is still reading this thread.

It's all bout combining two DVD into one movie. I'm trying to do this for LOTR (rip w/ MTR, extract the two halfmovies w/ DTOX, combine the halves int the same title in a new movie w/ DTOX)

The point is that in the third step the resulting title size would be more than 10 GB, so much more than the limit of 9 VTS*.vob files.

How could I solve this?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

There is a thread on this very subject, but it is Windows-centric. I don't have documentation on a Mac solution, but HB can grok VOBs in a VIDEO_TS structure that are larger than 1GB.

Rodney
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

saverio wrote:Hi, I hope that anyone is still reading this thread.

It's all bout combining two DVD into one movie. I'm trying to do this for LOTR (rip w/ MTR, extract the two halfmovies w/ DTOX, combine the halves int the same title in a new movie w/ DTOX)

The point is that in the third step the resulting title size would be more than 10 GB, so much more than the limit of 9 VTS*.vob files.

How could I solve this?
Then you are doing something wrong. The largest one LOTR EE - The Return of the King, once combine, comes out to 7.9GB. I just so happen to have it on my computer. Either way, I have combine all 3 and have not run into any problems with the encode.
saverio

Post by saverio »

Cavalicious wrote:
saverio wrote:Hi, I hope that anyone is still reading this thread.

How could I solve this?
Then you are doing something wrong. The largest one LOTR EE - The Return of the King, once combine, comes out to 7.9GB. I just so happen to have it on my computer. Either way, I have combine all 3 and have not run into any problems with the encode.
Thread was splitted: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5003
shoshana

Post by shoshana »

Cavalicious wrote:
mvxii wrote:Hello, all. I've been trying to use this process to rip some movies for the past couple of days with no luck. I'm using a MacBook with a 2.2 Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, and Leopard. I'm not getting any errors, but DTOX is telling me "170+ hours remaining". :shock: I've followed the process step by step up to that point, and the only setting that I've messed with is the one concerning Note #2 "Double Layer Output." Any idea why it would take so long? I've tried this on Transformers, Star Wars Episode 4, and Samurai Champloo Vol. 1. Obviously I haven't gone through the entire process coz "WOW!" if I'm gonna leave my MacBook at home for a week! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
Are you ripping with Fairmount or MTR or something else? Which DTOX part are you at, the rip or the combine?
I am having these problems also - running both Fairmount and MTR and HB which takes hours scanning source - have posted a separate thread on this.

Running on:
2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (2GB ram) iMac
dbendixen
Enlightened

Re:

Post by dbendixen »

dynaflash wrote:
baggss wrote:to replace what use to be one of the best open-source projects on the Mac.
Hate to say it, but mtr was never open source. It was free once upon a time, but the source code has never been released afaik.
They took a fabulous program and made it very un-fabulous.
pgershon

Post by pgershon »

I have tried to Handbrake a combined copy of The Godfather Part Two on a Mac. I used DTOX to combine the TS files and it seems to work on DVD Player. When I try to Handbrake (9.2 set for Apple TV), the application crashes right at the end of the encode. I am speculating that the large file size (over 4 gb) is the culprit, although I do not really know the issue. Is there something else I should eb doing? If I got a 4+ gb file, would it play on the apple TV? Right now my file will not open in iTunes.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Um, in HB did you enable 64 bit mp4 so that you can have a > 4 GB file ?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

pgershon wrote:I am speculating that the large file size (over 4 gb) is the culprit, although I do not really know the issue.
That's a good question. I bet people ask it frequently. Why, there should be some kind of listing of questions that are frequently asked, and their answers. I'm surprised this hasn't been thought of before. Then people could look there for the answers. And we could put it on the web, or something. Maybe on the same page as the documentation. And we could make reading it part of the rules. And in case that wasn't enough, we could add a sticky post all about how to get questions answered, and tell people they should check this list-of-questions-that-are-asked-frequently. And then just to be *extra sure* people wouldn't ask these frequent questions over and over and over and over and over until all of us who volunteer our time here have blood dripping out our ears, we could put a link to these frequently asked questions at the top of every single forum page. In bold.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hmm... <from within the guide itself>
Keep under consideration…Your “favorite settings” could very well create a file larger that 4GB. Which will entail other settings in HB to be turned on.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

jbrjake wrote:
pgershon wrote:I am speculating that the large file size (over 4 gb) is the culprit, although I do not really know the issue.
That's a good question. I bet people ask it frequently. Why, there should be some kind of listing of questions that are frequently asked, and their answers. I'm surprised this hasn't been thought of before. Then people could look there for the answers. And we could put it on the web, or something. Maybe on the same page as the documentation. And we could make reading it part of the rules. And in case that wasn't enough, we could add a sticky post all about how to get questions answered, and tell people they should check this list-of-questions-that-are-asked-frequently. And then just to be *extra sure* people wouldn't ask these frequent questions over and over and over and over and over until all of us who volunteer our time here have blood dripping out our ears, we could put a link to these frequently asked questions at the top of every single forum page. In bold.
Dare to dream JB, dare to dream... :lol:
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Which one do I chose for The Godfather Part II as it has two DVD's I need to join.

Edit: I'm was using the trial, which only does 2 hours I'm 1 minute 30 over so I am ripping the full movie in MacTheRipper into 2 .Vob's each with all the chapters in them so how do I join them?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

You buy DTOX, simple as that.

Or you encode them individually and join them with SimpleMovie X and loosing chapter markers in the process.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

realityking wrote:You buy DTOX, simple as that.
Yh for one encode only I don't think so.
realityking wrote:Or you encode them individually and join them with SimpleMovie X and loosing chapter markers in the process.
It doesn't have chapters markers to start with:D so I'll use that.
dvdflashback

Post by dvdflashback »

Audio Synch Problem:

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this problem?

I just tried combining my Gangs of NY discs to make a single .mp4 file to play on my aTV. I followed the tutorials precisely. Everything seemed to work fine but once the movie got to the part where the 2nd disc would start, the audio was completely out of synch. The first half of the movie was fine.

Any suggetions?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

What ver of HB?
What ver of DTOX?
Does the combined Video_TS play fine in DVD.app?
Activity Log?

<Help us help you>
dvdflashback

Post by dvdflashback »

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of detailed info. First, I do not think this should be an issue, but I rip all my DVDs on my Windows box using DVDShrink. I have ripped lots of my DVDs to video_ts folder with this app and have never encountered any problems until trying this combine feature.

I am running HB v0.92 and DTOX v2.2.2 I can not play the .mp4 combined output file in DVD.app but it launches fine in VLC and the audio synch problem is not present. I also noticed that in Quicktime, there is no audio at all. I tried finding the log file but I am not sure where it is.

Thanks.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

dvdflashback wrote:I am running HB v0.92 and DTOX v2.2.2 I can not play the .mp4 combined output file in DVD.app but it launches fine in VLC and the audio synch problem is not present.
I take it you meant that the combined Video_TS folder plays fine in VLC. Why are you not able to play the combined Video_TS folder in dvd.app?
Reguardless, you need to use the latest Snapshot of HandBrake, as there has been a number of "Audio Sync" issues resolved.
dvdflashback wrote:I also noticed that in Quicktime there is no audio at all.
Can't help you with this without a log and more info
dvdflashback wrote:...I tried finding the log file but I am not sure where it is.
See the red box at the top of the page....It will point you in the right direction.
Robbo71

Post by Robbo71 »

Hi all,

Newbie here so please be patient!

I've installed VLC, Fairmount, Handbrake and DVD2one on my Mac. Leopard 10.5.5

Now Fairmount runs normally and mounts the disk but when I start DVD2one, I can't access the files....The contents of he VIDEO_TS file is just grayed out...

I've been searching forums etc and I can't find the answer. I know its probably a simple answer...