READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
hartam01

Re: READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

Post by hartam01 »

Last edited by hartam01 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hartam01

Post by hartam01 »

Last edited by hartam01 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hartam01 wrote:Okay For Greys Anatomy Season 4 - Workaround and notes: HB .9.2 crashes on scan and on open source title specific, however HB SVN 1797, is able to scan the disc and all chapters but when ripping even with de-interlacing on, etc and multiple setups and different file formats and encoders...all the rips are garbled "scrambled" video but with good audio.... the 4 dvds are encrypted with ArcoSS...probably the best i have seen in encryption for awhile....this is the workaround and trying multiple different methods via mac and windows tools

If you happen to have a copy of the latest MTR 3.14m which can be found on various sites for downloading...

If you try to do a full disc extraction MTR 3.14m it will bomb out, fyi dont even try with MTR 2.6.6, it will bomb out.
If you go to mode - Title Chapter Extraction, select the Title that you need, look at the times appropriately and hit go to rip to .vob file, you will have to do this for the multiple files, too bad no batch mode.

Unfortunately HB cant read the single .vob file, so you can download MPEG Streamclip and then open the file, it will ask you to "Fix Timecode Breaks", DO NOT hit fix now, just click continue, continue to File --> Export MPEG 4 or whichever format and make sure your quality is set to 100% so you dont lose that much quality with the conversion.

Hopefully with the next SVN of HB Season 4 of Greys might work with the video and not be scrambled...
This is why we don't support SVN releases...The reason your encodes come out garbled is do to HB not decrypting CSS in SVN 1797. Which really negates this whole thread. Your elaborate work a round is unnecessary. Just install VLC.
hartam01

Post by hartam01 »

Last edited by hartam01 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

...wth!?

You're still not getting it... you install VLC so Handbrake can decrypt CSS with the svn you mentioned.

Ah, whatever...Like I said, its a dead thread in my book.
hartam01

Post by hartam01 »

Cavalicious wrote:...wth!?

You're still not getting it... you install VLC so Handbrake can decrypt CSS with the svn you mentioned.

Ah, whatever...Like I said, its a dead thread in my book.

true story, i misread and i had a de de de moment...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

right, as is in the release notes for the snaps.
You have to have vlc 0.9.xxx installed in your /Applications folder for the mac version to use vlc's copy of libdvdcss. HandBrake no longer includes libdvdcss ... however can link to the vlc dylib to read protected discs.
Ace

Post by Ace »

The Simpsons, Season 11 DVD

Same problem as with Season 10. Both HB and MTR bomb out when trying to scan discs 2 and 4. However, unlike Season 10, it works perfectly when you scan it Title Specific. On Season 10, the video would also be scrambled if you tried scanning it Title Specific.
hartam01

Post by hartam01 »

Ace wrote:The Simpsons, Season 11 DVD

Same problem as with Season 10. Both HB and MTR bomb out when trying to scan discs 2 and 4. However, unlike Season 10, it works perfectly when you scan it Title Specific. On Season 10, the video would also be scrambled if you tried scanning it Title Specific.

try using the latest svn build, make sure you have vlc installed as well...
Ace

Post by Ace »

hartam01 wrote:
Ace wrote:The Simpsons, Season 11 DVD

try using the latest svn build, make sure you have vlc installed as well...

VLC is installed, and I can confirm that neither of them work with the latest test build either. HB doesn't bomb anymore, it just keeps scanning infinitely.

Also, I can add that it doesn't seem to like any of the Invader Zim DVDs.
soccerballer

Post by soccerballer »

does iron man work?
RikPierce

Post by RikPierce »

HB 0.9.1
Mac OS X 10.4.11

movie: I could Never Be Your Woman

Opening the source it comes up with title 1 of 20, but then the blue bar quits and it appears to quit. The Activity windows says

[14:06:03] scan: chap 1 c=0->1, b=36059->192 (9044), 34300 ms
[14:06:03] scan: aspect = 12
[14:06:03] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[14:06:04] scan: preview 1
[14:06:04] scan: AC3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000
[14:06:04] scan: preview 2

*** libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in nav_read.c:207 ***
*** for dsi->dsi_gi.zero1 == 0 ***

[14:08:00] dvd: couldn't find a VOBU after 1024 blocks
[14:08:00] Warning: Could not read data for preview 2, skipped
[14:08:00] scan: preview 3

and it continues skipping ...
RikPierce

Post by RikPierce »

Hmm. I let HB continue although it seemed fruitless except that it WAS continuing to check files. An HOUR later it found the movie and opened it fine. I'm ripping it now (I hope)
lspeelmo

Marie Antoinette

Post by lspeelmo »

FYI - with snapshot 3 i lose AV sync. Please let me know what you would like me to try. Thanks! L
Cavalicious

Re: Marie Antoinette

Post by Cavalicious »

lspeelmo wrote:FYI - with snapshot 3 i lose AV sync. Please let me know what you would like me to try. Thanks! L
Like for you not to post in this thread with unrelated issue...that goes for everyone else also.

<Read what the hell the thread is about BEFORE posting>
lspeelmo

Re: Marie Antoinette

Post by lspeelmo »

I thought I was - nice to see such friendly people here in the forums. ;)
I'd like to use this thread as a repository for a list of movies that HandBrake has known issues with:

PLEASE PROVIDE DETAILS: What version of HB, settings, work arounds tried.

Also understand that this list is somewhat historical; it would be very helpful if anyone could cross off any titles from this list by trying them with HandBrake's latest code. Similarly, confirmation of issues with any titles mentioned in this thread since January 9, 2008, would be useful to update this list.

Movies
-Marie Antoinette
Cavalicious wrote:
lspeelmo wrote:FYI - with snapshot 3 i lose AV sync. Please let me know what you would like me to try. Thanks! L
Like for you not to post in this thread with unrelated issue...that goes for everyone else also.

<Read what the hell the thread is about BEFORE posting>
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Let me help you out...as there is a clueless factor going on:

1. This is not a thread to post just any problem you have with any DVD.
2. This thread was to list DVDs that when fed *directly* to HB (no pre-ripping, no protection removal), HB would not encode them.
3. Being that the next public release of HB (and there won't be support for older versions) won't encode DVDs by itself anyway, this thread is on borrowed time.

Everyone got it...Good.
lspeelmo

Post by lspeelmo »

So basically you are saying this thread is worthless, right? If so, why not delete it? Did you realize that the initial post specifically asked for input on Marie Antionette? Could you be any ruder?
Cavalicious wrote:Let me help you out...as there is a clueless factor going on:

1. This is not a thread to post just any problem you have with any DVD.
2. This thread was to list DVDs that when fed *directly* to HB (no pre-ripping, no protection removal), HB would not encode them.
3. Being that the next public release of HB (and there won't be support for older versions) won't encode DVDs by itself anyway, this thread is on borrowed time.

Everyone got it...Good.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

...and we're done here. This thread has grossly outlived its useful life.

Locked.

Rodney