Newbie DVD to AVI

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Luc552

Newbie DVD to AVI

Post by Luc552 »

I am trying to convert a DVD to an AVI file for use on my Archos AV700. So far I have tried using m4v and mpeg4 files and neither will play on the Archos. (I used the ps3, ipod low res and ipod hi res automatic settings).

Can anyone give guidance on what i should be doing to get an AVI file to play on my Archos?

thanks for any help,
luc
delgadil
Novice

Re: Newbie DVD to AVI

Post by delgadil »

This is not what Handbrake is designed to do. I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Kevin
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Erm...why not?

Rodney
Luc552

Post by Luc552 »

If it is possible, can you let me know how please?? :?:
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

From the little I've read, the AV700 supports MPEG-4 in MP4 containers, so HandBrake should be able to generate compatible content. As for the specific requirements/limitations of the device (with respect to MPEG-4 video particularly), as well as what audio codecs it supports in the MP4 container (likely limited to stereo AAC, which should be fine), you will need to consult the Archos product documentation or technical specifications.

A starting point may be to use the iPod Lores preset, then change the video from H.264 to MPEG-4, which is likely (though not guaranteed!) to produce compatible output.

Rodney
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

for audio maybe dpl2 mixdown might be beneficial ?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

In the case of the Archos, quite probably, since it is geared for TV output (but this is assuming the OP has a receiver capable of reconstituting a DPL2 matrix into its component parts). It certainly can't hurt.

Rodney
Luc552

Post by Luc552 »

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll give them a go and see how it goes....
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

I have an Archos 705 WiFi

It was a couple months back that I did my experimentation (so I can't remember all the details)
It can play video in mp4 container with xvid, generic mpeg4 video and x264 video if you install the podcast plugin.
However HB's variable framerate really throws it for a loop if you try to fast forward etc. I believe HB at the time wouldn't allow a constant fps in mp4 container. The archos also doesn't handle anamorphic video. In the end I decided not to use mp4 format.
AAC sound is no problem.

After experimentation trying to get the most bang for my filesize's buck, I gave up and came up with these settings that have not failed:
format: AVI
Video Codec: MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)
Framerate (FPS): Same as source
Quality: Constant quality: 91% (this doesn't seem to translate with x264 encoding I know! It produces files that look good)
Anamorphic: Off
Keep aspect ratio: On
Detelecine: No
Deinterlace or Decomb: depends on source

Audio Codec: MP3 (lame)
Mixdown: stereo (my preset has stereo - I'm not sure why I chose that over dolby pro logic II)

Chapters: no
Advanced: none for this codec

Hope this helps.
--sdm.