re: README before suggesting a feature

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Nubo

re: README before suggesting a feature

Post by Nubo »

After reading a number of your core group's "support" posts, it seems you really are a petulant and condescending bunch. If the end-user community is such a bother to you why don't you find something with less commercial appeal to work on? It usually takes a lot to annoy me, but I must say -- you know what you can do with that stupid pineapple. Sorry, I didn't take time to see if that request has been issued already. It probably has.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nubo - There a only a few developers here. We give up our time freely to this project. I don't think its much to ask for someone to spend 5mins reading a few stickies at the top of a forum and the documentation if required.

The attitude is this. If your going to waste our time you can sod off, however if you have a genuine issue or request we are more than happy to look into it. Its as simple as that. We do want to interact with the community but it is simply a waste of time for us to read posts asking the same things over and over again when there is already an answer for it.

We continue to do what we do as there are many people benifiting from it and there are many people taking the time to read the documentation and forums before asking for help.

We will not let the forum run riot. There has to be some rules and if these are ignored then we have a problem which needs to be dealt with.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: README before suggesting a feature

Post by rhester »

Nubo wrote:If the end-user community is such a bother to you why don't you find something with less commercial appeal to work on?
I would just like to point out that HandBrake is not a commercial product, and I don't want to let the extremely high-quality code and better-than-commercial-quality end-user support we've managed to provide absolutely free of charge during our very limited free time fool you.

I welcome you to start an open-source project of your own with 30,000+ users and an open support forum and see how long it is before you run for cover.

Prior to the revival of this project, the forums were an absolute mess - hundreds of unanswered questions each day, no developer participation, and essentially a complete waste of time for all (save for the efforts of extremely dedicated users like baggss and Nonsanity). We do not wish to return to those dark days. If, as a result of that, we occasionally get frustrated with people who can't/won't read information already made available to them and would rather be spoon-fed answers rather than spend 30 seconds on a search, that's just too bad.

The statistics speak for themselves - for every whining complainant we get on this forum, over 500 other people use the same program daily without incident. What makes them different? The answer is easy. They took the time to do some reading to see if their questions had already been asked and answered. Lo and behold, they had...and they benefitted from that.

I want to be quite clear here...we don't seek to alienate users, but we also don't have any intention of completely surrendering what little personal time remains in our lives to answer questions that have been asked and answered many times before or were mere seconds of a web search away. You wouldn't make such a sacrifice yourself, I guarantee - don't ask us to. If attempting to meet the needs of the many at the expense of a few lazy, ignorant (by choice) people makes us "petulant and condescending", I'll wear that as a badge of pride.

Remember, most open-source projects of this scale don't have forums at all. There's a reason for that. Don't let this project become one of them.

Rodney
os4

Post by os4 »

rhester wrote:
Nubo wrote:What makes them different? The answer is easy. They took the time to do some reading to see if their questions had already been asked and answered.
I agree with Rodney 100% on this issue. There need to be ground rules, and the "read before you post" is about as minimal as you can get. If you don't appreciate the developers enough to review the forums, the developers should not be expected to appreciate you as a "customer".

I will say that some of the "arguments" between users and developers often get heated, and I used to get frustrated by the attitude of the developers. HOWEVER, over time and experience, it is obvious that the devs are doing what's best for the community by taking responsibility for what they should and pushing responsibility on users where needed. The end-result is a better communicating community and a more efficient/productive group of development talent.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

This needs updating.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

cvk_b wrote:This needs updating.
Yeah...I know. So does the one for the Bugs forum. Haven't gotten around to it yet because I consider it pretty low priority: no one reads the damn thing anyway ;P
wunderbaren

Post by wunderbaren »

When is it planned to release 1.0? The update list looks really great!! But the subtitles, will i be able to show them in my iPod/iPhone, or is it just a .srt file?
Last edited by wunderbaren on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Post needs updated. 0.9.2 is due out in the next month or 2 or just whenever it's finished.
Some of the 1.0 stuff is actually in 0.9.2 now. We don't really keep an up to date roadmap.

1.0 is far into the future right now I think.
wunderbaren

Post by wunderbaren »

Okey thanks, but is it ever going to be possible to take subtitles fron a DVD into a MPEG-4 and make it soft subtitle?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

wunderbaren wrote:Okey thanks, but is it ever going to be possible to take subtitles fron a DVD into a MPEG-4 and make it soft subtitle?
Who knows, *ever* is a very long time
wunderbaren

Post by wunderbaren »

I have a question about the feature "Soft subtitles (.srt or VobSub)" you are working on for the 1.0 release.

Does it exist any other software to do this? To first rip the DVD in Handbrake and then make a softsub of a .srt file?

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

wunderbaren wrote:I have a question about the feature "Soft subtitles (.srt or VobSub)" you are working on for the 1.0 release.

Does it exist any other software to do this? To first rip the DVD in Handbrake and then make a softsub of a .srt file?

Thanks!
I believe that avidemux will create .srt and VobSub files... haven't looked into it yet.
blazo

Post by blazo »

Shame on me!
I suggest you add this topic to all forums (especially to development), since I didn't look here when posting my request.
Donar

Post by Donar »

Hello,

maybe it would be a good idea to add something like:
No hardware-assisted encoding device eg. GPU's or the Turbo 264 - will be supported in HandBrake unless:
a) They are already adopted by pre-existing OSS libraries that HandBrake utilizes or
b) open-source (preferably multiplatform) drivers are released for it by the manufacturer.
to the readme - as i was going to ask a question about adding GPU encoding and only "accidently" found a statement in a thread about the Turbo 264. http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?p=9781#p9781
All newer GPU's can assist in Video encoding (eg. ATI/AMD - Avivo), so people may come to ask...
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

It has already come up several times. The problem is Handbrake is dependant on GPU acceleration support in the upstream encoder libraries. To be honest, I don't see this happening until there is a single, multi-platform API that covers GPUs from all the major manufacturers.

Let's hope Apple has the clout to get OpenCL off the ground.
Donar

Post by Donar »

I understand why it does not work, but the explanation is more or less hard to find. That's why i suggested to add it to the readme. :D
jann

Post by jann »

TedJ wrote:Let's hope Apple has the clout to get OpenCL off the ground.
One can but hope. I see no major issues with it happening. DirectX 11 is supposed to have support for "compute shader technology"... :lol: OpenCL is meant to co-exist within an OpenGL pipeline, yet MS would have to adapt it to work within the DirectX pipeline. So, Microsoft is out.

However, that does not mean OpenCL is dead. Since the 3 major GPU manufacturers are all supporting OpenCL, I do not see a major hinderance to its' adoption. AMD is supporting both OpenCL and DirectX 11, as is Intel. NVidia lost with CUDA and is now on board with OpenCL -- from within its CUDA architecture.

So, we have Activision, Blizzard, AMD, Apple, ARM, Broadcom, Electronic Arts, IBM, Intel, Nokia, NVIDIA, and Samsung supporting OpenCL. NVIDIA, in particular, already has OpenCL enabled on over 100 million NVIDIA GPUs!!! I cannot see that level of hardware support NOT getting major attention from developers.
jchiver

Add What setting used to MKV Container

Post by jchiver »

Hi,

I have been ripping my entire DVD collection to x264 in a mkv container and was thinking it would be nice to know in the future what settings were used and I thought since mkv's are just container files is there a way of perhaps including a text file with the settings used to rip the video file. It might also be handy to include the source and version of handbrake etc.

This might not be possible but if it was it could be a nice little tool.

Regards and thanks for creating and maintaining this product. It’s great.

JC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

What the hell are all these post doing in this topic anyway? How on earth do people come to the conclusion that readme topics are the place to ask questions? Locking.