READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Toki

Re: READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

Post by Toki »

Detailed description of issue: When I try to encode certain disks I get this status_access_violation error. It has happened before but I just figured it was a disk DVD 43 could not fully rip. I really want to get Weeds season 3 though. I tried using AnyDVD but got the same error. I usually do 2 pass encoding and it makes it through the first pass but this error comes as soon as the second pass starts. I tried doing one pass and the error comes immediately. I've been using Handbrake successfully for a while(you guys rock btw), even encoded season 2 of weeds using it. I looked on the forums, but couldn't find any specific advice. Any ideas?
Environment: Windows XP
HB Version: 0.9.2
Verbose activity logging:

(HB_AMIXDOWN_DOLBYPLII)
[15:39:03] thread ee4a70 started ("reader")
[15:39:03] + output: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Videos\Handbrake\Weeds - 3.01 - Doing the Backstroke
[15:39:03] thread ee4be0 started ("muxer")
[15:39:03] thread ee4d90 started ("MPEG-2 decoder (libmpeg2)")
[15:39:03] thread ee7040 started ("Renderer")
[15:39:03] encx264: keyint-min: 24, keyint-max: 240
[15:39:03] encx264: opening libx264 (pass 0)
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 SSE3 Cache64
[15:39:03] thread 11b39c0 started ("H.264/AVC encoder (libx264)")
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
[15:39:03] thread 11b8b78 started ("AC3 decoder")
[15:39:03] thread 11caca0 started ("AAC encoder (libfaac)")
[15:39:03] sync: expecting 40019 video frames
[15:39:03] dvd: Beginning of Cell (0) at block 0
[15:39:03] sync: first pts is 21021
7 [unknown (0xC44)] HandBrakeCLI 3180 _cygtls::handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
1630 [unknown (0xC44)] HandBrakeCLI 3180 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to HandBrakeCLI.exe.stackdump

*ALL* Settings Used/Changed:
o Started with Preset: iPod hi-rez
o Then I changed:
_no 2 pass__ to _2 pass with turbo first pass__ (but I have tried it each way, 1 pass, 2 pass no turbo)

Architecture: Intel Pentium 4
Computer Info: 3.2GHz, 1 GB RAM, Microsoft driver 5.1.2535.0, 136 GB free
Operating System: Win XP SP2
Source: Weeds Season 3 disk 1 (disk looks good)
Analysis of the source: uh, film DVD not sure what you're looking for here
Intended Player/Device: iPod
Intended viewing environment: TV (component input)
What I've tried/read so far: setup queue for whole disk, just 1 track, tried AnyDVD, 1 pass encoding.
Example PNG images can be found at this link: no screenshots
Steps to reproduce this problem: try to encode Weeds season 3
svs

Post by svs »

sr55 wrote:I believe that bug has been fixed in the SVN.You can either wait til the next release, or try the snapshot which may/may not include the fix.
Works perfectly with the svn1-477

And on a Intel quad CPU 6600 it is le bonheur in terms of speed !

Thanks
Regards
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

Successful rip of Underworld: Evolution with the following:
Handbrake svn1477
AnyDVD 6.4.5.0

Please take Underworld:Evolution off the list. People really need to figure out if the problem is with Handbrake or their decrypter before posting titles here that "can't rip".

Example of a DVD that does not rip because of a issue in Handbrake:
Shoot Em Up
Note: This is fixed in the dev builds and will be rolled into the next official release.

Example of a DVD that does not rip because the decrypter can not decode the movie properly:
Underworld: Evolution
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

necrosis wrote:Example of a DVD that does not rip because the decrypter can not decode the movie properly:
Underworld: Evolution
Actually, I did this one back in the 0.9.1 days. Fairmount/dtox combo pre-ripped it just fine.
Acidburn

Post by Acidburn »

Mulan Special Ed & American Splendor cause HB to crash before encoding completes.
I tried straight from the disk, and pre ripping using MTR 3.0 (full or feature makes no difference).
I'm using ...
Intel iMac
HB 0.9.2 (to encode)
- kbps = 2200
- anamorphic off
- 2 pass encoding on
- mpeg-4 codec
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Acidburn wrote:Mulan Special Ed
If this is the US release, it's one of the best-protected DVDs out there...a litmus test for Disney copy protection that appears to have gone quite well. I would recommend use of AnyDVD on a Windows machine for the rip, if possible.

Rodney
omni

Post by omni »

Oddly enough I just did Mulan Special Edition (US Release) with Fairmount/Detox combination yesterday. No problems.
Toki

Post by Toki »

I have now been able to encode weeds season3. I used my new iMac and mac the ripper. Did a full disk rip to the hard drive then encoded it without issue. Yay!
somorris3

Post by somorris3 »

Bee Movie
version 0.9.2
jayceeya

Post by jayceeya »

Has anyone been able to rip Vantage Point? I've tried HB 9.2, MTR and the Fairmount/ DVD2One combo. I would like to post the logs, but everytime I try to rip, the movie stalls my computer (MAC).
baggss

Post by baggss »

omni wrote:Oddly enough I just did Mulan Special Edition (US Release) with Fairmount/Detox combination yesterday. No problems.

Please keep in mind that this thread is intended to be for titles that require special attention like DTOX, Fairmount or other help.
Strangeite

Post by Strangeite »

baggss wrote:
tiepolo wrote:I noticed Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit was on your list. That movie ripped just fine for me. However, Wallace & Gromit - Three Amazing Adventures did not. It crashes HB every time it scans the disc. I've tried on 3 different computers and same thing happened with all 3.

Were both with HB 0.9.2?
I just wanted to confirm that Wallace & Gromit - Three Amazing Adventures using v. 0.9.2 crashes for me as well. It crashes after it appears the full scan is complete (track 29 of 29). I have just started using Handbrake so if there is more information that I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Re: crashing upon full scan.

From our FAQ: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFA ... ecificscan
P-Worm

Post by P-Worm »

Hey guys. I love the software and use it on a regular basis. Since I won't help by programming (I'll spare you my terrible abilities), I figure I could help with the list of 'broken' movies.

The following movies are on your list as unrippable, but I have been able to rip them using Handbrake version 9.2 and MacTheRipper 2.6.6 without doing anything out of the ordinary.
Babe
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (Pirates 2)
The Holiday
The Prestige
Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were Rabbit

You said you needed confirmation on Hairspray, I couldn't get that one to work either no matter what I tried.

As far as Bee Movie, I needed to Open Source (by title) and input title 10 manually.

Hope this helps!

P-Worm
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I hate this Thread :evil:
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Regardless of your hatred for it, it's worth acknowledging that P-Worm did provide some useful info here. If more people made posts like that, and went through the effort of validating the list, it'd be a much more useful resource.

So thanks, P-Worm. And sorry no one's really maintaining the list.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Cripes, and he even read the faq and used open source select title. Impressive. :)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

jbrjake wrote:Regardless of your hatred for it, it's worth acknowledging that P-Worm did provide some useful info here. If more people made posts like that, and went through the effort of validating the list, it'd be a much more useful resource.

So thanks, P-Worm. And sorry no one's really maintaining the list.
True...One additional search would have shown my VM + Windows+ AnyDVD reply for Hairspray.
baggss

Post by baggss »

P-Worm wrote:Hey guys. I love the software and use it on a regular basis. Since I won't help by programming (I'll spare you my terrible abilities), I figure I could help with the list of 'broken' movies.

The following movies are on your list as unrippable, but I have been able to rip them using Handbrake version 9.2 and MacTheRipper 2.6.6 without doing anything out of the ordinary.
Babe
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest (Pirates 2)
The Holiday
The Prestige
Wallace and Gromit Curse of the Were Rabbit

You said you needed confirmation on Hairspray, I couldn't get that one to work either no matter what I tried.

As far as Bee Movie, I needed to Open Source (by title) and input title 10 manually.

Hope this helps!

P-Worm
No, they are on the list as not being ripable by Handbrake by itself or in need of 3rd party apps to assist. Nearly everything on the list can be ripped, it just needs help to rip. I, for one, do not normally use MTR to rip to my HDD first, I rip directly from DVD. As such, this sort of info is useful to me and, I suspect, other users.

Good post though, thanks for the info.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Trying to rip the new Futurama Movie "The Beast With A Billion Backs". It caused a KP on my Quad G5 twice just using HB. I no longer have/use MTR and DVD2OneX won't read it. Fairmount/DVDRemaster seems to be working. I'm just ripping it directly to iPod format with DVDRemaster vice saving it and then using HB, the converter has always been good in my experience.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

baggss wrote:Trying to rip the new Futurama Movie "The Beast With A Billion Backs". It caused a KP on my Quad G5 twice just using HB.
Strange. I encoded it fine just using HB, on my Dual G5, a couple weeks ago, with I believe rev 1560.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Did you rip it to the drive first or just rip it from the DVD? It KP'd my Quad twice at about 95% complete directly from the DVD. The Fact that DVD2OneX said it was protected struck me as odd, and I refuse to use MTR anymore until they stop the shakedown process for a "free" product.

I'm also using 9.2 and have not downloaded a build in some months.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

baggss wrote:Did you rip it to the drive first or just rip it from the DVD?
Right from the drive.
Well that's a mistake.
baggss

Post by baggss »

jbrjake wrote:
Right from the drive.
Well that's a mistake.
Ok, so you used a 3rd party app to get it to the HDD first, which may have helped. Even FairMount says there are bad sectors on the DVD, so it has some sort of copy protection on it.

I should know better than to actually use the current (non-SVN) public version, what was I thinking? Here I am acting like a n00b and all....:roll:
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

baggss wrote:
jbrjake wrote:
Right from the drive.
Well that's a mistake.
Ok, so you used a 3rd party app to get it to the HDD first, which may have helped.
Oh, I'm sorry, I misread and didn'r pay attention to the end of the sentence -- I thought you meant right from the *optical* drive. No, I did not use a 3rd party ripper.

DVD -> HandBrake
I should know better than to actually use the current (non-SVN) public version, what was I thinking? Here I am acting like a n00b and all....:roll:
Well it's just...you should come on IRC. I'll explain why it's been so long since the last release.