Enter Picture Dimensions via keyboard in the GUI

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

sdm
Bright Spark User

Enter Picture Dimensions via keyboard in the GUI

Post by sdm »

I've always wanted to be able to enter the picture dimensions in using the keyboard rather than using the up/down arrow buttons in the picture settings/size and crop sections of the GUI.
An example of when this would be helpful is when scaling from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 or 960x540, it would be nice just to enter one of the values via the keyboard and have the other dimension calculated (or not). Another implementation might be the addition of drop down menu of common mod 16 values.
Another example of when this would be helpful is if automatic crop doesn't work. ie. 16x9 content hard-letterboxed in a 4x3 frame - sometimes autocrop doesn't work, especially if there is a channel logo floating in the black bar.

I realise this may conflict with HB's auto size/crop calculations and the way HB makes previews - this really is just a wish for a pony ... if its more trouble than its worth, so be it.

--sdm.
Cavalicious

Re: Enter Picture Dimensions via keyboard in the GUI

Post by Cavalicious »

you can always edit the .plist file.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

Cavalicious wrote:you can always edit the .plist file.
Okay, I'll look into that - unless you want to expand?
--sdm.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

...not sure what you what me to expand on ??

~/Library/Application Support/HandBrake/UserPresets.plist is the file you want to edit. You can manually enter any setting you want. I resorted to this when I couldn't get the proper resolution I wanted in the MacGUI a while back.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

okay, I opened the .plist file using PlistEdit Pro. I see I can change the presets to anything I want like you say.

I don't want to edit presets. I want to manually enter picture size and crop in the picture settings dialog, on a source by source basis.

For cropping anyways, it doesn't make sense to include this info in a preset. Know what I mean?

--sdm.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Although I couldn't find it, I believe that was discussed on IRC. I think the devs said 'no' because a.) Something about extra support that would be required because of dumb user input and b.) Something about preview generation.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

One of my projects is to get mod8 working in the macgui, we are currently mod16 for more granular sizing. Currently hb_get_preview barfs on mod 8 (I think, something in libhb does when done from the macgui and I *think* I figure out it was get preview). At any rate, will take a look at mod 8 in more down the road. Not sure about user enterable numbers.