newbie--one movie file for both iPhone and Apple TV

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
scottiep

newbie--one movie file for both iPhone and Apple TV

Post by scottiep »

Hello all,

I'm seeking suggestions on what settings would give me the best experience on both an iPhone and my Apple TV. I've reached this point because RIPing for both devices is time consuming as well as taking up way too much disc space.

I'm interested in anyone's recommendations on how to accomplish creating a file for my iPhone that will also look great on my 30" HDTV using Apple TV. I have determined that the iPhone can do 720 wide--rather than the 640 that they claim is the maximum.

I am on a Mac using Handbrake 0.9.1.

thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: newbie--one movie file for both iPhone and Apple TV

Post by rhester »

To get a decent large-screen display, you will need to rip at pretty close to the iPhone's full capabilities, which will be slow and result in large files. There are no miracles in video encoding that involve tiny ultra-high-quality files that are compatible with a wide range of devices and rip in a few minutes.

Rodney
scottiep

Post by scottiep »

Thanks for the reply Rodney.

I think I didn't do a good job explaining myself. I do understand that RIPing will take some time and leave me with a file that is pretty large. My problem was I was RIPing the same file twice--once at one setting for Apple TV, and once for iPhone.

That was becoming tiresome, and I think I can probably make one file for both and still get pretty good quality, I am just curious what people on this board recommend.

thanks again,

scottiep
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I posted the settings I have been using in the "Best Settings for Multiple Devices" thread over in the Devices forum, although it is a little outdated (I keep promising to update... maybe I'll remember tonight when I get home from work).
scottiep

Post by scottiep »

thanks so much nightstrm--that is exactly the info I was looking for.

I'll be sure to explore the topics better before posting in the future.

scottiep
sbalthazor

Post by sbalthazor »

You also need to upgrade to .92 so you get all the audio goodness in a single file (nothing like having stereo on the iPhone and the same file playing 5.1 on your ATV). I'm not sure (someone else can comment), whether the anamorphic stuff works on the iPhone in versions prior to .92 - plus a host of other improvements - so definitely something to do first.