AppleTV Settings

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Freis968

AppleTV Settings

Post by Freis968 »

Some movies I have endcoded using the latest version of Handbrake and they come out looking good and others not so good. For instance, 3 Days Of The Condor came out looking really good but Paul McCartney's new videos from his latest album Memory Almost Full does not look so good. Are there some settings that I can tweak for the AppleTV preset that will improve upon the basic settings? Basically, what is happening is the fast motion causes small black lines to go through parts of the video for instance in the drummers hands when he is moving and in various fast moving scenes of the McCartney video.
sbalthazor

Re: AppleTV Settings

Post by sbalthazor »

Are they the same as the lines in the documentation below? If so read through there and you should have your problem solved.

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DeinterlacingGuide
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

THAT IS IT, THAT IS IT! Thanks a ton for the help!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Actually, it probably isn't it. If it's a music video it was probably shot on film. It's probably telecined, not interlaced. You're going to needlessly throw away picture detail by deinterlacing, most likely.
sbalthazor

Post by sbalthazor »

jbrjake wrote:Actually, it probably isn't it. If it's a music video it was probably shot on film. It's probably telecined, not interlaced. You're going to needlessly throw away picture detail by deinterlacing, most likely.
I don't do any music video stuff so good to note that they are usually shot on film. Freis - Take a look at the 2 links below and you'll see that problem can manifest due to a different issue as well (telecine). Do you have VFR with detelcine enabled on the picture settings tab? If not try that first to see if it solves the problem. Do a search for Telecine and you'll see a bunch of discussions about it (with a lot of when I should use telecing vs. deinterlace).

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine

http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/VariableFrameRate
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

Ok, thanks for the help. It appears I have a lot of A to B comparing to do with 1,001 different settings...:(
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Freis968 wrote:Ok, thanks for the help. It appears I have a lot of A to B comparing to do with 1,001 different settings...:(
Welcome to the encoding experience! :lol:
Freis968

Post by Freis968 »

nightstrm wrote:
Freis968 wrote:Ok, thanks for the help. It appears I have a lot of A to B comparing to do with 1,001 different settings...:(
Welcome to the encoding experience! :lol:
LOL, gee thanks! I think...