AC3 Causing Me Problems

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
myronaiii

AC3 Causing Me Problems

Post by myronaiii »

I usually rip my movies with mpeg video and AAC audio, but I started trying AC3 because people seem to prefer it. I tried ripping a movie like I usually do, except using AC3 instead of AAC, and it wouldn't play in Quicktime. It also encoded a lot faster than my movies usually do.

I then tried the same movie in h.264 and AC3, and I got the same problem. Finally, I tried encoding my usual way (mpeg and AAC), and it worked fine. Any thoughts? Oh, and I used HB 2.0 to do it -- I switch back and forth between 2.0 and 2.1.

Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I presume it's too much for you to believe that QuickTime doesn't support AC3 natively?

It would have taken you less time to Google the correct answer than it did to make this post. :/

Rodney
myronaiii

Post by myronaiii »

Except for the tone, I appreciate the info. I just figured Quicktime would have played it because so many people on these boards talk about iPod, Quicktime, and AC3. Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

google is your friend ;)
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

You can play the files in QuickTime if you install the A52 codec for QuickTime, but they will output as stereo. You can play them as multichannel in VLC, however.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

myronaiii wrote:Except for the tone, I appreciate the info. I just figured Quicktime would have played it because so many people on these boards talk about iPod, Quicktime, and AC3. Thanks.
I'm sorry for the tone, but your post smacked of "I can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds looking this up myself, so can someone just hand me the answer?". Even though I know you had reason to assume it should be supported, the correct answer was still merely a websearch away. Search is your friend. Use it. :)

Rodney