Support for SRT/SUB subtitle files in ALL languages

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

odedia

Support for SRT/SUB subtitle files in ALL languages

Post by odedia »

Hi,

One of the features I am truly lacking in ffmpegx is the ability to add subtitles to my 5.5G, 640X480 iPod videos (I'm on Mac OS X).

Even more important, at least to me, is supporting various languages, like Hebrew and Arabic - Which are RIGHT-TO-LEFT languages. VLC and MPlayer can playback hebrew/arabic subtitles without any problems. It would be great if MediaFork could encode the subtitles right into the video, since the iPod can't handle subtitles at all.

Thanks!
thanar

Post by thanar »

Keep in mind that this would require a recompress, hence dramatically decreasing the quality.
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

How about when setting up rip option, having an additional option in the drop down menu for subtitles? Like "English, Spanish, German, [External file...]" where the last option would allow you to choose your own subtitle file. This could then be "burned in" at time of compression... what think you?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Would be a neat feature. I look forward to it. :)
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

I've discovered that it is possible to extract closed captions as SRT subs. And that there exist methods of converting SRT (and other types of sub) into VobSubs (idx + sub, i.e. pictures rather than text).

So if there was an option to include, apart from the subpictures already on the DVD, one's own subpictures (as above), this would kill many birds with one stone...

Naturally I am ignorant of the difficulty involved in such a conjecture and can only pitch it as an idea..., but this is a feature I'd happily pay/donate for!
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

You can do that now if you want. Demux the m2v and ac3 streams from the DVD (using macTheRipper, Title Only extraction, 'D' button, streams). Mux the streams together again with FFMpegX (Tools > mux > uncheck author as DVD), this will give you a .mpg file. Then use the author tool in FFMpegX and use the .mpg file together with your .srt file.
You now have a VIDEO_TS with your own selectable subtitles. You can use that with HandBrake to convert to other formats.
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Forgive my ignorance: I haven't yet checked the tool you speak of.

Could it be confirmed that there is no quality loss in alll these stops until we get to the Handbrake stage?
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

Demuxing the files is just extracting the m2v video and ac3 audio from the .vob files. There's no quality loss in that. Muxing is putting them back together but with the subtitles added.
I think you can do a similar thing with mpeg2works without demuxing first.
MyDVDedit could be a solution too, need to look into that myself.