New Version

Archive of historical development discussions
Discussions / Development has moved to GitHub
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

dynaflash
Veteran User

New Version

Post by dynaflash »

Well, as it seems according to rhester, that handbrake development may have once again come to a bit of a halt, I have started trying to continue some development based on the current revision 70 code from this svn. However, I am not sure how to introduce my changes and I want to make sure I dont step on any toes. Wondering who else may be interested in taking a look at some of the changes I have made (for now, mostly in the OSX gui). They include a preferences pane to save settings you use the most.

Also, I have modified the gui to be more ipod specific, so think of it as more complex and "tuneable" than InstantHandbrake but not as complex as the current Handbrake OSX GUI.

I dont know if there is any interest out there, but I would be interested in sharing these changes with anyone interested. Again, I just want to make sure I dont mess up anything anyone else has done, or step on any toes.

Please advise on how best to proceed.
SndChsr

Post by SndChsr »

Glad someone else has picked this up. I was interested in working on the code myself, but I'm not very good (yet) with the low level c stuff, where most of the focus seems to be (iPod h.264 support). I do have an Intel mac though, so if you'd like any testing done, I'd be happy to help out there. I'll try and get more familiar with the code to see if I can contribute some features as well.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Awesome. Yes, I certainly can use all of the help I can get, particularly on the x264 portion for the intel macs.

PPC is working awesome. I am very happy with it right now.

chrislong was apparently close on the x264 Intel stuff for h.264 but, so far, he hasnt checked in what he was working on according to rhester (rhester, correct me if I am wrong on this).

Right now I am hammering out a prefs pane to save commonly used settings to speed up the interface in the mac gui.

Maybe you can tell me where you are heading so I dont cover ground you are already working on and vice versa.

Otherwise, until the Intel h.264 issues can be ironed out, you would only be able to test out my additions using mp4 which, I dont think has any issues on Intel (again, someone would have to verify this using the latest rev 70 from this svn. That is what my gui changes are based on).

Lets get this party started !
SndChsr

Post by SndChsr »

I'd definitely like to take a look and see what you have done. I'll spend the weekend trying to get inside the code a little better.
SndChsr

Post by SndChsr »

I've compiled (for my own testing) a new version for Intel Macs, and I manually worked around the Jam issues, but I'm too unfamiliar with Jam to fix the build script right now. Most of the issues revolved around compiling and linking to ffmpeg.

This version does create x264 Baseline 3.0 files, and my initial tests with a 512x384 (1280kbps video, 160kbps audio) file worked and looked great on my 5.5G iPod. I got about 30 fps encoding on my 1.83Ghz Core Duo.

I've also replaced the interface NIB file with an alternative one I found online.

http://www.phillryu.com/2006/07/04/pimp ... ck-worthy/

I like it a little better, its smaller and cleaner in my opinion. I also replaced the icon with the one found on this site. All of this was for my own amusement, and can easily be changed back if users would rather.

Next, I'd like to incorperate the preference panel that dynaflash has been working on, plus any other changes.

I'll post this version somewhere as soon as I'm confident that it is stable and working as expected. In my initial tests I only encoded 1 chapter of a movie, I'd like to try a full movie before I post it.

[EDIT] Note that I didn't make any changes to the actual code used in encoding, so any issues that existed before are still there. This version appears to work, but there may still be memory issues, etc. I'll post more as I do more tests.
SndChsr

Memory issues

Post by SndChsr »

Through further testing, I've found that the memory leak is present in my recent build. I encoded a movie, and the real memory shot to 450MB, and stayed high even after the encoding was finished. I'll try to track this down, I know rhester had some leads, but I'll admit I'm not too good with c pointers, or memory issues. Any help would be great.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

SndChsr - It is nice to see you moving forward, my prefs pane and new GUI is coming along. The holiday stuff with family and my job do kind of get in the way this time of year. I like the GUI you found.

I am still vetting the stability of my prefs pane and have now started expanding its functionality to allow for several different settings you can save and name kind of like bookmarks. So, you might have one set of HB settings you call "Ipod to TV" or whatever you want to name it and HB will remember what you saved those at.

Here is what I would like to do if you are interested, If i can possibly finish up my preferences panel and new GUI, post a screenshot and check into the svn maybe we can join efforts.

But, all of handbrakes future success, in my opinion hinges on its ability to encode h.264 video to the new iPod specs and beyond on the Intel Macs (thinking ahead to new ipods and the new iTv).

So, meanwhile I will move ahead with my prefs pane, get it to you and see if we can get if tested out on your intel mac. Once we are happy with the gui stuff, maybe we can ferret out the memory leak problem. I know rhester had identified some stuff in a thread on here regarding thread control and he has told me here and on the official forum that ChrisLong had things pretty much in hand, but never checked in his version.

I will try to be online later this weekend and help move this forward.

Long live handbreak!
SndChsr

Post by SndChsr »

That all sounds great. As I said before, I'm mostly a Cocoa programmer (actually mostly a Java programmer), and some of the lower level C stuff (threading, c pointers, etc.) are sometimes confusing to me, but I certainly want to help and keep moving forward. It would be nice to get some code, or at least some information from Chris, but if not, we'll keep working on what we've got. Let me know when I can take a look at your changes.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Okay, sounds good. I am hoping to have something by the end of the weekend that I feel confident about showing.

Just want to make sure it is fairly stable in terms of interface.
SndChsr

Intel work

Post by SndChsr »

Good news. I found Chris Long's email address in one of the forums and sent him a request for his changes. He said he was happy to send what he had worked on, and is going to try to get those changes to me later this week. Hopefully this will help solve some of the memory issues on the Intel systems.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

great! I that should help out alot. I am looking forward to seeing what he had done.