A simple thanks

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
kevinbal

A simple thanks

Post by kevinbal »

Too often the hard work goes without recognition and instead forums are flooded with "why doesn't this do that" or "why wasn't this included."

I've been using handbrake and mediafork when these guys picked up where the old handbrake left off. I can't say how much I personally appreciate all of the work and dedication that has gone into developing this software over time.

Thanks to everyone who has had a hand in making this great. Time for a little brake?
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: A simple thanks

Post by s55 »

Thanks are always welcome :)
blazo

Post by blazo »

I am joining kevinbal to thank *all* of you that take care of HandBrake. This is one great piece of software and without it I would be stuck with mostly useles appleTV (since iTunes store is not available in my country).

Thanks again!
Abulia

Post by Abulia »

I too would like to voice my thanks and appreciation.

Actually, I'd like to donate if at all possible but damn you all and your high moral standards! :D
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The HB team doesn't accept donations/
le pendu

Post by le pendu »

The software is awesome, and I've learned a lot from reading the forum and wiki.

My DVDs look great on my AppleTV, and my iPhone, and it's thanks to you.

Thanks very much!
gauvins

Post by gauvins »

Yes, thanks. Not only for the software, but for the way the development team works with the community.
plumbum27

Post by plumbum27 »

Thank you also. I am so happy to have 5.1 audio! Awesome job everyone and thanks again for all the hard work!
thundar

Post by thundar »

Thank you from Mexico! You developer guys kick ass.
saltyzoo

Post by saltyzoo »

/signed

I'm having tons of problems with it, but it is an amazing piece of code.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

saltyzoo wrote:I'm having tons of problems with it, but it is an amazing piece of code.
Um, thanks ... I think
saltyzoo

Post by saltyzoo »

dynaflash wrote:
saltyzoo wrote:I'm having tons of problems with it, but it is an amazing piece of code.
Um, thanks ... I think
LOL Sorry, I guess that didn't come out right. Hey, I took the time to sign up just to say thanks, so that's saying something.

This latest version isn't working for me on a lot of movies, and is causing me quite a bit of frustration, but I'm not complaining. On the contrary. Despite the problems, I recognize the product for the amazing work of art that it is.

I'm still not sure it came out right, so just ignore the rest and focus on this:

THANKS!

LOL
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

saltyzoo wrote:/signed

That's a backhanded compliment if I have every seen one! :lol: :lol:
saltyzoo

Post by saltyzoo »

nightstrm wrote:
saltyzoo wrote:/signed

That's a backhanded compliment if I have every seen one! :lol: :lol:
Arg. Not at all. After all, the problems may all be my own. ;)
judaspriest

Post by judaspriest »

I would like to say that Handbrake is a great program, and I really like its quality, and the dedication to its continuing development. It's also free, and better than many competing commercial products, which I recognize and appreciate.

Thank you very much for your hard work. Please keep that in mind.

However, I am concerned about this:

Project Admin 'jbrjake' tends to be very hostile towards your average users. Not everyone is able to understand all of the lingo in the manuals, or able to understand all the features easily. It seems You are more interested in answering questions from power users that don't really even need help because they know the program as well as you. Too often it's a 'We already answered that, why don't you figure it out,' followed by some snide comment. Even those users who are fairly inclined with computers and video technology get turned away. I read up and learned everything I need to convert things independently, that's how I work, given your people's attitude. I understand you don't have time to answer everyone's questions and complaints, and that it is tiresome and endless for you. But why be hostile and snobby when the average joe posts a question? Just don't respond to those threads, or post a link instead. That's all, please don't take this the wrong way, the program is excellent, very valuable, and truly appreciated. But just think of the impression you leave some of your users with.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Someone clearly doesn't adhere to the maxim "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

And in a "thanks" thread too? Very classy.
judaspriest

Post by judaspriest »

My point is proven.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

hmm...wouldn't that be a proverb? :)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Cavalicious wrote:hmm...wouldn't that be a proverb? :)
;P

Actually, I'm saved by Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proverb
A proverb that describes a basic rule of conduct may also be known as a maxim.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Sooo .. his maxim is proven ?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

jbrjake wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:hmm...wouldn't that be a proverb? :)
;P

Actually, I'm saved by Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proverb
A proverb that describes a basic rule of conduct may also be known as a maxim.

<Cav thinks jbrjake just edited the wiki to prove a point> :D
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Cavalicious wrote:<Cav thinks jbrjake just edited the wiki to prove a point> :D
Hey, did you know the population of African elephants has tripled in the past six months?
SicMX
Novice

Post by SicMX »

Keep up the good work guys. All the hard work that goes into creating and further improving this app is very much appreciated!

PS. Can't wait to see what happens when you guys decide to release Handbrake 1.0 :wink:
TheBum
Novice

Post by TheBum »

Let me add my accolades. I just got my new Apple TV hooked up last night and, after re-associating the optical audio port on my AV receiver with an input that supports Dolby Digital, I played the first part of "Star Wars: A New Hope", which I had re-ripped with HB 0.9.2.

One word: WOW!!

I thought that the Dolby Prologic audio from the initial rip sounded pretty good, but hearing it in Dolby Digital blew me away. The bass was much more intense -- especially the rumble of the ship engines and the thump when R2D2 falls over after being hit with the Jawas' ion gun -- and the highs were considerably crisper, which was really noticeable in the soundtrack music. The picture quality was better than I expected; I had always thought the re-encoded video image was too dark on my MacBook Pro, but the dimness was much less noticeable on the big screen.

All-in-all, a great job guys and gals!
digt

Post by digt »

A big thank you from me too! This program has really come far.

I was just looking for the donate button when I remembered you guys don't take donations.