All content not found

Archive of historical bug reports.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

xtss33

All content not found

Post by xtss33 »

I am ripping my DVD set of Comos (from Carl Sagan) for my iPod and each dvd contains 2 one-hour programs. (except dvd 1). Both I/HB and Mediafork locate only the first one-hour program, chapters 1-12. The second program does not appear in either. I thought this might give you something specific to try and debug.

Thx for a great product
baggss

Post by baggss »

Just for grins, try opening them with regular Handbrake/Mediafork and see if you see all the chapters. I have had issues with this before and it has almost always been my DVD drive itself, but I don't use Instant HB/MF.

There was a thread over at the MTR forums a while ago talking about some DVD drives not properly reading all DVDs in MTR or HB. The consensus was, some of the new drives in Apple's computers were the issues, but not all of them.
xtss33

Post by xtss33 »

Didn't mean to imply that I only used Instant HB. I also used Media Fork and got the same results. True, I am using new Apple drives, which are Pioneer DVR-111D's. The original that came with the Mac Pro, and an additional I bought. Conseqently, they have different firmware - the first being Apple's 1.29 and the other being AB09 - or is that the other way around. Anyway, seems we can't blame custom firmware as they both show the same issue.

DVD Player sees all the content just fine.

Of note in this DVD series... PBS, or whomever, published these for Region 0, meaning that it should play on any NTSC dvd player. Not the usual method of publication as we all know. Perhaps that is some sort of clue.

Lastly, as I am opening the DVD, the initial scanning shows 6 titles. IHB conseqently shows only 2, the program and a 4 min loop - prob the menu. MF shows only 1 title, the first hour program. So you pre-scanning seems to know they are there but they are being filtered out for some reason.

All this is not a big deal -- I have plently other content to rip. ;)

Cheers
baggss wrote:Just for grins, try opening them with regular Handbrake/Mediafork and see if you see all the chapters. I have had issues with this before and it has almost always been my DVD drive itself, but I don't use Instant HB/MF.

There was a thread over at the MTR forums a while ago talking about some DVD drives not properly reading all DVDs in MTR or HB. The consensus was, some of the new drives in Apple's computers were the issues, but not all of them.
baggss

Post by baggss »

You have the same DVD drive as I do, and it was not one of the "problem" drives they talked about. In fact the Pioneer drives were the most reliable it seemed.

I'd download MacTheRipper and rip the Video_TS folder to your hard drive then run it through HB/MF and see what happens.
xtss33

Post by xtss33 »

Well, took your suggestion - I have MTR. It ripped the entire DVD but IHB and MF behaved the same way accessing the resulting folder. So no luck there.

If you would like me to ftp the files to you, let me know.
Last edited by xtss33 on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I can actually reproduce this on Windows as well, despite running the latest version of AnyDVD against it (which removes all protection including zero cells...and anything else you can think of).

Rodney
xtss33

Post by xtss33 »

Reproduced using what? You have the Cosmos series as well?
rhester wrote:I can actually reproduce this on Windows as well, despite running the latest version of AnyDVD against it (which removes all protection including zero cells...and anything else you can think of).

Rodney
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

xtss33 wrote:Reproduced using what? You have the Cosmos series as well?
Yes, the recent box set re-release, purchased at the Discovery Channel store in late December 2006.

Rodney
cbud
Bright Spark User

Post by cbud »

I had the same problem with Hitch (MF/HB would not find the main feature title). There are two ways you might be able to fix this, they both do the same thing which is to create a VIDEO_TS folder with only one title. You can use DVDoneX or MTR beta to do this.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

rhester wrote:I can actually reproduce this on Windows as well, despite running the latest version of AnyDVD against it (which removes all protection including zero cells...and anything else you can think of).

Rodney
I wonder if it works with HB0.7.1 ? The reason I wonder is that IHB and MediaFork use a different ScanController than HB 0.7.1. So, I would like to know if this behavior is different there. I would expect that IHB and MediaFork would behave the same. But HB 0.7.1 might be different, anything title detection or drive detection related should be tried with both HB 0.7.1 and MediaFork 0.8.0b1 to determine if they exhibit the same behavior.

This would be helpful.
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

I've got the same problem. On a Region 1 drive, using a Region 1 DVD (Sin City Recut), it only picks up a few few of the titles. Ripping an image and then trying to run both MF and HB on the image and the DVD yields no improvement.
xtss33

Post by xtss33 »

Just so we're clear, creating a VIDEO_TS folder and using that as source did nothing to solve the problem. Same results. :(

cbud wrote:I had the same problem with Hitch (MF/HB would not find the main feature title). There are two ways you might be able to fix this, they both do the same thing which is to create a VIDEO_TS folder with only one title. You can use DVDoneX or MTR beta to do this.
mrfett

Post by mrfett »

any solution to this problem? specifically with the Cosmos DVDs? they seem to be very difficult to rip, I'm having the same problems described.

EDIT: just read the FAQ. guess i'll shell out some cash to the MTR ppl and see if it fixes the problem. any replies regarding whether ppl fixed this w/o the r14 beta would be appreciated.
mrfett

Post by mrfett »

in case anyone out there wants to know, ripping Cosmos with the MTR r14 beta doesn't help. don't waste your money.
mrfett

Post by mrfett »

well i think i found a solution to ripping Cosmos and making an Apple TV-compatible file without audio sync issues.

Use the MTR r14 beta to do a "Main Feature Extraction". You have to do this twice for each disk (each episode separately). then, using these folders, you can get HandBrake to work. I imagine other programs like VisualHub will work with these rips as well (whereas b4 they would not). i'm pretty sure this only works with the new MTR beta.
kspring

Post by kspring »

mrfett wrote:well i think i found a solution to ripping Cosmos and making an Apple TV-compatible file without audio sync issues.

Use the MTR r14 beta to do a "Main Feature Extraction". You have to do this twice for each disk (each episode separately). then, using these folders, you can get HandBrake to work. I imagine other programs like VisualHub will work with these rips as well (whereas b4 they would not). i'm pretty sure this only works with the new MTR beta.
Awesome! Thank you. I am having the same problem with Cosmos. I will try this and tell the results.
kspring

Post by kspring »

It seems Cosmos has some type of copy protection that hides one of the episodes.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Sometimes HandBrake won't allow a title to be encoded because HB
encountered an error when reading the previews for that title.

This can be seen in HB 0.9.0 in the Activity Window when verbose is
selected:

[16:14:15] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[16:14:15] scan: preview 1
[16:14:15] scan: AC3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=384000
[16:14:15] scan: AC3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000
[16:14:15] scan: AC3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=192000
[16:14:15] scan: preview 2
[16:14:15] scan: preview 3
[16:14:15] scan: preview 4
[16:14:15] scan: preview 5
[16:14:16] scan: preview 6
[16:14:16] scan: preview 7
[16:14:16] scan: preview 8
[16:14:29] dvd: Read Error on blk 3399211, attempt 0
[16:14:29] dvd: Read Error on blk 3399211, attempt 1
[16:14:29] dvd: Read Error on blk 3399211, attempt 2
[16:14:29] dvd: Unrecoverable Read Error from DVD, potential HD or DVD Failure (blk: 3399211)

At which point that title will not appear in the drop down list of available
titles.

This has been worked around by making these errors soft errors in svn974. If you have been encountering missing titles please either try the SVN build (you have to build it yourself) or wait for release 0.9.1.

Cheers, Ed.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Could someone whom has Cosmos try with HandBrake 0.9.1 and see whether both titles show up now? We have a defect ticket for this issue and want to know whether we can close it.

Cheers, Ed.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'll try to check it tonight if nobody beats me to it.

Rodney
Dreadnought

Cosmos - Any Luck

Post by Dreadnought »

I've been trying to get HB to see both titles on Discs 2-7 for the 2002 DVD edition of Cosmos.

I have tried the following:

MTR 3.014K (latest build) - which will see both titles, but when ripped using Main Title Extraction, will create a set of files that result in "No Valid Title Found" for HB

I have also tried to create a HB-able file using Fairmount and DVD2oneX2 (aka DTOX) per the instructions posted on this Forum. When ripping each chapter individually, the result is a un-Hand Break-able file.

I hate being defeated by this - has anyone else had success with this series?

My configuration is as follows:

Mac Pro 2.66 ghz
4 gb RAM
Mac OS 10.5.1

This is the only DVD, other than a damaged copy of Delovely, that has defeated me.
HB Version 0.9.1 (2007100800)
omegaminus

Re: All content not found

Post by omegaminus »

This could be due to strange title layout - I've seen this on a few discs.

For instance, I see something similar on my "Canada's Juniors - The Gold Standard" DVDs. Handbrake only sees one title, 58 seconds long on Disc 2 even though it contains two full-length hockey games. In Nero Recode, the titles it lists are:

Title 1 - 00:00:58
Title 1 (continued) - 01:45:45
Title 2 - 01:44:38
Title 2 (continued) - 00:00:56

So it looks like Handbrake doesn't know how to parse this kind of layout.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Using the MacGui, one thing you might try is a "Open Source ... Specific Title". basically when you start up HandBrake and get the open source window, cancel. Then go to File -> Open Source Title Specific. You will get the open source window again, pick your source like you normally would. Now after you click the Open button, you will be asked specifically which title you want to scan, instead of scanning them all. Obviously you have to know the title number of your main feature or whatever you want to encode. Sometimes this works when a full source scan gets HB confused by "non standard" title layouts on the source.

This was added as we found in some instances the cli could encode a title when the macgui would get tripped up as it scans the entire source instead of going right to the title number specified by the user.

Give it a try, it may work.
filipiak

Post by filipiak »

I've found the same problem on the Nightmare Before Christmas disc. There are two early Tim Burton movies on the disc, and both HB and MTR only see one of the two titles. They each show up in DVD Player, both as different *chapters* within the same *title* (Title 15, Chapters 1 and 2, I believe). Neither HB nor MTR will extract anything beyond the first chapter in that title, however. In the normal course of things, does one *chapter* normally call the next one? If so, the DVD menu is not set up this way, as at the end of the first short, "Vincent", you are returned to the DVD menu, where you can pick the second short, "Frankenweenie".

The disc is home at the moment, so I will confirm this later, but this is what I remember from a couple of days ago.
pmuellr

problem w/Cosmos

Post by pmuellr »

I tried the "Open Source ... Specific Title", but got the same results as going the usual route.

The log is available here: http://pmuellr.bingodisk.com/public/Han ... Cosmos.txt

Note this run was from a copy of the DVD onto disk; I get the same results from running directly off disk, it's just slower.

I'll also mention that I always get my 'even' episodes built (ie, the second title on the disk), but the size is around 150K, the movie lasts a few seconds and includes a few clips from the actual movie.