Is the CLI version faster than the GUI at encoding?

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Metasyntactic

Is the CLI version faster than the GUI at encoding?

Post by Metasyntactic »

I've heard (unsubstantiated) information that running Handbrake from the command line will help encode things a few frames faster than the GUI (when using the same settings obviously). I wanted to check if that actually was the case. I'm interested in this because i have a *lot* of DVDs that i'm creating a media library out of, and anything that speeds up my encoding would be greatly appreciated.

I would normally try to figure out this information on my own, but i'm finding that task difficult. Why? Because i can't seem to determine the equivalent command line that i need to use to exactly match the parameters of the GUI job i've created.

If it is the case that the command line runs faster (and even a couple more fps would be great for my needs!), then is there a way to have the GUI tell me the equivalent command line i should be using? That way i could get the best of both worlds. The great GUI for selecting titles/chapters/languages and generally previewing what i'm doing, and the CLI for speed.

Of course, if the CLI isn't faster, then this entire post it moot. :)

Anyways, thanks for any info that you guys can provide!
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Is the CLI version faster than the GUI at encoding?

Post by s55 »

It's not. Any difference will be down to what settings you use.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

If verbose isn't on, I think it probably will be a tiny bit faster. It definitely used to be true, back in the 0.7.1 days.
Metasyntactic

Post by Metasyntactic »

What would 'tiny' be like? 1% , 5%?

Thanks!

Also, is there a way to determine the appropriate command line given the current GUI configuration?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

The user guide in the wiki has the CLI equivalents of the Macgui presets.
Metasyntactic

Post by Metasyntactic »

Sure. But that's error prone and annoying to do manually. I'm looking for a way to get the CLI string automatically after i've followed all the nice and easy steps in the GUI. Similar to how the advanced tab shows the 264 options, but for the entire set of things i've configured.

Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You can't. The MacGUI isn't an interface to the CLI so doesn't generate query strings.