AppleTV Preset MetaX and Compatibility

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dynaflash
Veteran User

AppleTV Preset MetaX and Compatibility

Post by dynaflash »

Other than the new AAC + AC3 DD sound in the new appleTV preset in HandBrake 0.9.2 there is another change that is less transparent. Namely it was decided right before release to use a 64 bit mpeg4 file.

This is so that you can have an mpeg4 file over 4GB (32 bit mpeg4's cannot be over 4GB). This was a decision made right before release as we realized that with the extra 448kbps for the AC-3 surround track you could start hitting that 4GB barrier much earlier than without. For example longer movies like LOTR would end up in the 4.5 GB area.

However like all things this does have its caveats, namely right now, tagging with MetaX is a bit dodgy, I believe (havent tried it yet myself but I believe Cavalicious has and might want to chime in) MetaX can tag the files if they are under 4GB, but not over 4GB.

We have already contacted Kerstetter (the developer of MetaX and also a handbrake fanatic) and he has told us he can fix metaX to work just fine with it. In the past he has always been very fast with is updates if we request them so expect to see an update to MetaX very soon.

A note on the 64 bit option: Go to preferences -> advanced in HandBrake and there is a checkbox there to show the 64 bit checkbox in the main window. It is hidden in the main window be default as in the past it has been a very niche feature that also was incompatible with almost all devices except now the atv2. Anyway, check that box and you will see a new checkbox appear in the main window right by the Ipod Atom checkbox. You can now choose to turn that off if you wish to use MetaX for movies under 4GB until MetaX is updated.

I admit, I should have made the box visible all of the time now as its likely to be used alot more now. Thats what you get when you add new features right before release :) .

Hope this helps clear up any confusion that may have been caused.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV Preset MetaX and Compatibility

Post by dynaflash »

Update: I have changed the 64 bit checkbox so that it now will always show in svn rev 1310 for the next release.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Note: Yes 64-bit <4gb files do get tagged.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Update to all: The 64 bit property of the Built In AppleTV Preset will *not* enable 64 bit unless the user has checked "Enable 64 bit mp4 files" in their preferences. Period. This has since been changed in the svn, but for 0.9.2 if a user has not turned that on in their prefs, they will get a 32 bit mp4 regardless of the AppleTV preset.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Update: Rodney Kerstetter just informed us on our irc channel that a new MetaX is out that supports tagging > 4 GB 64 bit mp4 files ! Check it out.
rkerstetter

Post by rkerstetter »

I've got a request for anybody using the large file support in MetaX -- please send me an email and let me know how it worked for you. You can send an email right from the MetaX help menu "Send feedback". I would like to take this feature out of experimental status for the next release as long as nobody is having any problems. Thanks!

- Rod
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

As of http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1388 the macgui now sends encodes to metax right as they are processed in the queue (finally). In the past, just the last encode of a queue was sent to metaX. Tag away ;)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Note the above commit is somewhat hosed on two pass, the growl alert comes after the end of the first pass on a two pass encode. Fix on the way.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

delgadil
Novice

Post by delgadil »

I love MetaX for Windows! It's the best MP4 tagger for ATV available. When will it support files >4GB?

Thanks,
Kevin
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

delgadil wrote:I love MetaX for Windows! It's the best MP4 tagger for ATV available. When will it support files >4GB?

Thanks,
Kevin
How about reading the entire thread?
dynaflash wrote:Update: Rodney Kerstetter just informed us on our irc channel that a new MetaX is out that supports tagging > 4 GB 64 bit mp4 files ! Check it out.
And from the MetaX website:

64 bit support - Take advantage of your G5 or Core 2 Duo processors for a speed boost when writing tags. You can also tag files > 4 GB!
delgadil
Novice

Post by delgadil »

I was asking about MetaX for Windows -- the latest Windows update (v1.10) does not support files >4GB -- and the last update on this thread is over a year old.

So, you asked a great question -- How about reading the entire thread?

Kevin
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

delgadil wrote:
I was asking about MetaX for Windows -- the latest Windows update (v1.10) does not support files >4GB -- and the last update on this thread is over a year old.

So, you asked a great question -- How about reading the entire thread?

Kevin
Sorry, I missed that. Anyway, this is the HandBrake forum. How about asking there?

NoBull Software ● View forum - MetaX