AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
brianlees
Novice

Re: AppleTV to support Dolby5.1 Natively

Post by brianlees »

Can I tell you I just peed my pants a little bit in excitement over all this thread! I have been holding off on the AppleTV until we could easily get good surround without modding. I think I may die of anticipation for this.

Of course, getting laid off by a backstabbing CIO doesn't help me convince the wife that we need to purchase an aTV or two...but I'm working on that angle.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

ragboy wrote:OK, I think I found a bug. I just happened to grab HERO for some testing, and having sync issues. But just to make sure it wasn't just HERO, I grabbed like 5 other movies, pretty much randomly. They all synced great, work in iTunes, and both atvs, analog and hdmi. But I reencoded HERO again, with svn version 1289, and the aac and ac3 audio are definitely out of sync. The only difference, I think, is the subtitles. This is the only movie I have turned subtitles on. I am doing a second encode, using english audio, and no subtitles, and see what happens. I see 1294 is ready, but from log, don't see any changes that would effect sync, could be wrong.

I am on Mac Pro 2008 with 10 gigs ram, running 10.5.2.
Can you post a copy of the activity log for one of these bad encodes? That would be most helpful in order to determine what exactly happened.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

nightstrm wrote:
ragboy wrote:OK, I think I found a bug. I just happened to grab HERO for some testing, and having sync issues. But just to make sure it wasn't just HERO, I grabbed like 5 other movies, pretty much randomly. They all synced great, work in iTunes, and both atvs, analog and hdmi. But I reencoded HERO again, with svn version 1289, and the aac and ac3 audio are definitely out of sync. The only difference, I think, is the subtitles. This is the only movie I have turned subtitles on. I am doing a second encode, using english audio, and no subtitles, and see what happens. I see 1294 is ready, but from log, don't see any changes that would effect sync, could be wrong.

Can you post a copy of the activity log for one of these bad encodes? That would be most helpful in order to determine what exactly happened.
Sure, you want me to post right in this thread?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

ragboy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:

Sure, you want me to post right in this thread?
I would use a service like pastebin.ca and post a link to the page in the thread.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

Not a problem, I have my own server farm, and .Mac. Here is the log of JUST that one problem one. I am also redoing 2 more, one with same audio, no subs, one with english audio no subs. I can send you log of those when done. Only takes 40 mins for 2 pass on this beast. ;-)

http://homepage.mac.com/ragboy/misc/hb_ ... ro_sub.log
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

Another encode with english DD 5.1, and no subs, out of sync by same amount. The only thing I can think that might make this DVD any different than the others I tested, it had DTS as primary audio. I have another, Open Range, that has DTS as primary, I will test that. Let me know if you need anything else.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Um...we need you to not use DTS.
ragboy
Experienced

Post by ragboy »

Cavalicious wrote:Um...we need you to not use DTS.
Umm, I know that. I mean that the hero primary track is DTS chinese. I don't use that, I use the DD 5.1 Chinese with the english sub, and it is out of sync. Then I tried the dd 5.1 english, without sub, and also out of sync. But I haven't seen this on any other dvd, just sync issue on this one. I am pretty sure I had encoded hero before with 0.9.1 without issue, but I would probably have to try that to be sure.
saverio

Post by saverio »

Hi everyone. You are fantastic!!! I'm eager to try the definitive 9.2!

I have a question. Living in a non-english country, the fact that TV can switch between two different audio tracks (AAC and DD) means that one can have both the original language track (maybe the one in high quality) and the spanish one (in AAC) and select the one to hear by just enabling or disabling AC3.

Will we be able to select different audio tracks for the AAC and the DD parts, or we will choose just one track and have the two versions in the file?
May I choose english DD and spanish AAC?
This, along with some .srt support on TV, will solve every desire I have.
sbalthazor

Post by sbalthazor »

ragboy wrote:Another encode with english DD 5.1, and no subs, out of sync by same amount.
Are you doing this straight from the DVD or have you ripped it down first? I was having a similar problem with 3:10 to Yuma with it being off by about 2-3 seconds for the AC3 (while the AAC was perfectly in sync), but once I ripped it using AnyDVD and ran that through (as opposed to straight from the disc) it worked perfect.
Deleted User 5579

Post by Deleted User 5579 »

0.9.2!!! Thank you HB-TEAM! It's Christmas in Feb for HB users. :D
exodar

Post by exodar »

I haven't seen this question in the General or Mac forum so I am asking it here. Why is the new HandBrake only compatible with 10.5? Is there a way to compile it for 10.4.11? There are still quite a few of us that are not Leopard users that would like to start compiling AC3 passthru in our movies.

Thanks in advance...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Why is the new HandBrake only compatible with 10.5?
Technical reasons
Is there a way to compile it for 10.4.11?
Nope
There are still quite a few of us that are not Leopard users that would like to start compiling AC3 passthru in our movies.
Upgrade to 10.5 or live without.
exodar

Post by exodar »

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I have some software that still won't work in Leopard so I guess I have some decisions to make :(
flybynight

Post by flybynight »

sbalthazor wrote:... once I ripped it using AnyDVD and ran that through (as opposed to straight from the disc) it worked perfect.
Is there an equivalent to AnyDVD for the Mac? Mac the Ripper seems to be rather out of date, and I'd like to avoid installing Windows on my Mac. Thanks for any info!
sbalthazor

Post by sbalthazor »

flybynight wrote:
sbalthazor wrote:... once I ripped it using AnyDVD and ran that through (as opposed to straight from the disc) it worked perfect.
Is there an equivalent to AnyDVD for the Mac? Mac the Ripper seems to be rather out of date, and I'd like to avoid installing Windows on my Mac. Thanks for any info!
I use AnyDVD in a Parallels Window on my Mac as opposed to doing a full boot camp (specifically because I found too many issues with MTR on stuff).
mactivist

Post by mactivist »

flybynight wrote:
The public domain version of MTR may be out of date, but 3.014M is as good as anything. But you have to pay for it.
quagga

Post by quagga »

My test encode using a modified iPod High (with anamorphic/crf/surround sound works great on both the iPod Touch and the AppleTV).

Cavalicious or nightstrm, I don't suppose either of you would be willing to add/updating your settings in the best settings thread in General?

I have been encoding with a slightly modified version of Cavalicous's settings but they're going to have to change and everything be re-encoded for the Grand Unified Preset :).
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

quagga wrote:My test encode using a modified iPod High (with anamorphic/crf/surround sound works great on both the iPod Touch and the AppleTV).

Cavalicious or nightstrm, I don't suppose either of you would be willing to add/updating your settings in the best settings thread in General?

I have been encoding with a slightly modified version of Cavalicous's settings but they're going to have to change and everything be re-encoded for the Grand Unified Preset :).
I'm looking at some slight changes, but for the touch, nightstrm is you man...er...person.

I'll post something when I get time to actually do some testing.
sbalthazor

Post by sbalthazor »

I'm also interested nightstrm if you'll post what you're using for the 'one encode to rule them all' in the 'best settings' thread.

Great job to the developers - my aTV's have never sounded so good!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

I will post mine in a couple minutes after I get things settled.
brianlees
Novice

Post by brianlees »

quagga wrote:My test encode using a modified iPod High (with anamorphic/crf/surround sound works great on both the iPod Touch and the AppleTV).
Does anyone know if those settings will also work on an 5g iPod (original 30gb with Video)?
GMcDowellJr

Post by GMcDowellJr »

brianlees wrote:Does anyone know if those settings will also work on an 5g iPod (original 30gb with Video)?
the Insert iPod Atom checkbox should enable you to get it working on that iPod... there's more information about this in the documentation and on this forum
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

nightstrm wrote:I will post mine in a couple minutes after I get things settled.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 116#p27116
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

It is very unlikely it will work because the bitrate (not to mention resolution) is very likely to exceed the 5G's capabilities.

The existing iPod preset is already optimized for this use.

Rodney