Handbrake Crashes on Windows Vista x64

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gonzalu

Handbrake Crashes on Windows Vista x64

Post by gonzalu »

Hello,

I have tried searching for specific information on this topic and have been unable to. I searched the Trac, Google and the Forums as well as the WiKi. Nothing that could explain it.

I have a Microsoft Windows Vista x64 Ultimate System and Handbrake 0.9.0 (2.4.0 GUI) and 0.9.1 (2.4.1 GUI) both crash on start... Running the program IMMEDIATELY crashes. I have tried compatibility mode as well as Run As Administrator... nothing seems to get it to run :-(

My System is a

Intel QX6700 Extreme Core2 Quad
Asus SLi MoBo
4GB RAM (Corsair Dominator)
NVIDIA 8800 Ultra

Can anybody shed some light on this? I am happy to use it on my MacBook PRO 15" but it is not as fast nor convenient as my Quad Core desktop :-) Also, small DVDs recorded on my Sony DVD Camcorder do not fit into my MacBook PRO DVD slot. Well, they fit, but I wouldn;t dare put them in in fear of not being able to insert them all the way and then not being able to eject them fully :-)

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Cheers
Manny
Lant
Novice

Re: Handbrake Crashes on Windows Vista x64

Post by Lant »

Whats the error message you get when it crashes?

You might want to:
1. Download and install again
2. (if a DEP message came up) disable DEP for Handbrake
Unknown2U

Post by Unknown2U »

I just got a Vista 64-bit machine with a Q9300 processor and 8GB of ram. I also can not get Handbrake to work with Vista even with trying to run it in XP Sp2 mode ore as a System Admin. I really think Handbrake is probably the best program out there. I guess I will have to fall back on Videora since that works, but does not have the same functionality as Handbrake.
enkay18

Post by enkay18 »

I have vista 64bit ultimate and Quad Q9450, Handbrake runs fine on my system. So i don't think its a vista 64 bit issue.
Unknown2U

Post by Unknown2U »

What settings are you using when you use Handbrake? Is there some kind of parameter I need to set to make this work? Does 64bit MP4 need to be clicked?
enkay18

Post by enkay18 »

I've played around with all the settings mostly, everything seems to work fine - it's not really settings specific.
Unknown2U

Post by Unknown2U »

enkay18,
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. I went back to using Handbrake and it now is encoding videos for my iPod Touch. I'm not sure what changed, but before the DOS type dialog box would just open and close and nothing would happen. Now it encodes the whole video for me with awesome results. Thanks again! :D