Bitrate Bug? or am I a fool?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ChaoticClimax

Bitrate Bug? or am I a fool?

Post by ChaoticClimax »

Alright, I downloaded all the programs today (3/5/07) and followed the tutorial that says:

"fill in the Video BitRate box with your desired bitrate (only write the number). I recommend 640 for live action video (film with real actors), and 520 for animation video (cartoons, anime). I know it sounds weird to use a lower bitrate for animation, but because animations have many less color variations than real film, you can use a lower bitrate. Of course, you can select any bitrate that you want, but remember two things:

1. DO NOT go over 768. A number over 768 will work on your computer, but the video will NOT play on your iPod."

I set the bitrate box for 640 and everything goes smoothly. I load it in my itunes and it plays just fine. Then I go to update my ipod and it claims it won't play on this ipod. I right click the file and select "get info" only to see the bitrate is at 769 and not the 640 I had set it at. I've followed the tutorial perfectly with everything else.

I have tried this twice with this same result, any ideas?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

a) The tutorial you're following is hopelessly out of date. The iPod has supported much higher bitrates and resolution since September 2006.

b) iTunes will not reject rips based on bitrate any longer. What is the ripped resolution? The width may not exceed 640 and the height may not exceed 480 or iTunes will not transfer it.

Rodney
ChaoticClimax

Post by ChaoticClimax »

The guide I used said:

"This guide was created by roflmaocopterzor. It was last updated February 23rd, 2007, and it is meant for HandBrake version 2.0, which is the current version as of this date."

I used this:
"For 1.78:1: 368 x 208"
Because 1.78 was the aspect ratio the DVD said.

Thanks for your help.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I'd recommend one of the guides linked to via our blog under the Documentation tab. There has never been a HandBrake 2.0, and the guide you are following clearly predates high-resolution iPod support.

Rodney
ChaoticClimax

Post by ChaoticClimax »

I can't seem to find this Documentation tab. The only link I did find was in the post by sr55 that led me to the guide I used, the one that linked me to these very forums.

edit: I've found the the Docs tab, but the only How To guides are for the Mac version. Judging by those though, I don't see what I am doing wrong? Also, after I get it into itunes, I was able to convert it (taking a good hour) to a format suitable for the ipod. Why it doesn't work initially is beyond me.
roflmaocopterzor

Post by roflmaocopterzor »

The guide (mine) is not "hopelessly" out of date. It was updated 2/23/07. HandBrake for Windows didn't support the higher bitrates/resolutions until 2/28/07.

:roll:

The guide will be updated soon.
roflmaocopterzor

Ok, soon was 24 minutes. New version is up :).
ChaoticClimax

Post by ChaoticClimax »

Thanks a ton!

It still requires me to convert it in itunes after I rip it though, is that normal?
ChaoticClimax

Post by ChaoticClimax »

Nevermind! I didn't realize that encoder drop down menu had H.264 AND H.264 (iPod) on it, I figured the (iPod) was just to clarify.

Boy do I feel dumb.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@rhester, thought i'd just point out the Windows port has been working slightly differently to the mac one. Higher resolutions were only introduced when i upgraded the GUI from version 2.0 to 2.1 when i made the switch from Handbrake 0.7 to 0.8.0b1
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

@all: My bad. I wasn't paying attention to which forum it was. :)

Rodney
roflmaocopterzor

No problem :).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

your going to hate me rofl..., I'll be making yet another change to the vesion numbering system in the next build. No major changes, Just re-enabling Queue/5.1/H264 when the next 0.8/9.x build appears. I'll let ya know more nearer the time.

Going to display 2 versions
1. GUI Version: 2.X
2. Handbrake Version, 0.x.x

I think thats the easiest way to do it. Just thought u'd like to know.

try and avoid some confusion by creating some :/
roflmaocopterzor

Don't worry about it :)
huntarch

still problems with iTunes readability

Post by huntarch »

I have followed the instructions to the letter trying to rip a movie and convert it to avi and load it into iTunes.

I have used 368X208 for an aspect of 1.78
I have set the encoder to H264 (iPod)
I have placed the video bitrate at 640

When I try to drag and drop into iTunes it says that it wont copy to my ipod because it can't be played on this iPod (I do have a video ipod).

I am unable to drag it into the movie library, my only option is to try to drag it directly onto my ipod which results in the above listed reject.

Someone mentioned that you can load it into iTunes and then convert it. If you can tell me how to do that I would be better off than I am now. I can't even get the movie into itunes.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

How are you trying to load it into iTunes, and what is the error given?

Rodney
huntarch

Loading in iTunes

Post by huntarch »

I have tried several methods.

I have dragged and dropped into the library music file but it give me the denial sign (the black circle with the line through it). I get this sign with every folder when I try to drag and drop.

If I try to drag and drop directly to the iPod it says, "the secret" was not copied to the iPod "mnuttalls iPod" because it cannot be played on this iPod."

I have tried to import it under the file menu and it doesn't give me a reject window or any other signal. It simply doesn't load. I have tried this with both the import command and the add file to library command.

When I look at the properties of the file it says that the audio format is MPEG Layer-3 (I have the handbrake set to AAC. It also says that the bit rate is 128 kps ( I have it set in handbrake to 768).

Not sure what to do.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Something is clearly very wrong here.

Are you using command-line or the Windows GUI?

Rodney
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

huntarch - When your selecting a file location for the output are you selecting mp4 as the file type?

At the moment the default is avi which is only going to upset itunes if your trying to import stuff.
huntarch

Thanks for help

Post by huntarch »

Scott and Rodney,
It appears that I have resolved the problem. You were right that my problem was that I needed to switch from avi to MP4. I don't remember seeing this step in the instructions that I was reading.

It appears to have transfered to my ipod. Thanks again for your help.
teh.hippy

Post by teh.hippy »

ChaoticClimax wrote:Thanks a ton!

It still requires me to convert it in itunes after I rip it though, is that normal?
Same thing. Followed copter's walkthrough using .mp4 conversion. iTunes accepts it in the library, however, it says the file cannot be transferred to iPod because it is not supported. I'm using iTunes convert for iPod feature now and will update this later tonight.

Should I have to iPod in iTunes? Is it because I did mp4 and not H.264 (iPod)?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

If it refuses to transfer, but is accepted in iTunes, it almost certainly means that either your horizontal resolution exceeds 640 pixels or vertical exceeds 480 pixels.

Rodney
teh.hippy

Post by teh.hippy »

Same 1.78 ratio resolution mentioned in the walkthrough, so 368 x 208. :confused:

Update: After iTunes conversion, the file transfers fine.

Also, it changes the file to a m4v instead of mp4 and compressed it another hundred meg or so...

edit2: Trying another DVD with H.264 (iPod) instead of .mp4. Will update in another 20 minutes.

editFinal: Worked like a charm that time. :shrug: