Limiting bitrate for trailers

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Metasyntactic

Limiting bitrate for trailers

Post by Metasyntactic »

A long long time ago, i used to use some compression tool (whose name i've totally forgotten) that let you specify where the credits of a movie started so that you could limit bandwidth in those regions. Useful for dropping the quality down very low for this unimportant part so that the rest of the movie could benefit.

Is that possible with Handbrake? Is there any need for this sort of thing anymore, or is 'x264 - 2pass' fine at figuring this out on its own.

Thanks!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Limiting bitrate for trailers

Post by dynaflash »

Metasyntactic wrote:is 'x264 - 2pass' fine at figuring this out on its own.
It does fine on its own.
maxidermy

Post by maxidermy »

with one pass encoding does HB limit bitrate at the start of movies at all?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

You can do this in x264 by using zones. You can type them into the advanced x264 options field. You need to know the frame counts where the sections begin and end. It's not very well documented, you'll find the best info over at the doom9 forum -- as i recall, akupenguin laid out the format a couple months ago after he expanded zones to control more settings. For each section (segmented by beginning and ending frame numbers) you can set different bitrates and most other x264 options.