I like the program so much that.......

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

thundar

I like the program so much that.......

Post by thundar »

I would LOVE to have it be able to convert other video formats, as well. Yea, I'm sure this topic has been brought up before. And I've even used other programs to convert to x264 with less than desirable results. Any ideas to convert xvid to h264, other than using megui, xivd4psp or ripbox264? Or maybe someday Handbrake will incorporate other formats, as well?

Thanks again for the great program and all the hard work!
Carlsen

Re: I like the program so much that.......

Post by Carlsen »

As far as I know, Handbrake is strictly an MPEG2 converter. Previous posts said that this isn't changing.
I'd like very much to be able to convert Matroska files to MP4. However, Handbrake does a great job at what it does with MPEG2 and there are other good tools for converting alternative formats to h264.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

AviDemux can open many video formats, edit, apply many useful filters and encode to h264 with all the advanced options.
It doesn't support variable framerates, create chapter markers or multi channel aac :cry:

-sdm
canoehead

Post by canoehead »

You may want to search the intertubes for MKV2VOB - may meet some of your needs.
Conner

Post by Conner »

I'll agree with the posters comment, it would be super if HandBrake could handle more types. There is nothing out there that matches the speed, quality and ease of use of HandBrake for encoding H.264 files. I capture dv files from a media converter, and to encode those rather than using Sorenson Squeeze, which should work well considering the cost .... but is slow, buggy, and has crappy quality. I burn these files to DVD and then use HandBrake to import them. I've recently bought an Intensity Pro card to capture HD, it uses motion jpeg. At this point I have no good way to convert these to mpeg4, because going to DVD first would lose resolution and quality.

If there is something that even comes close to HandBrake, I've yet to find it, and I've looked high and low. I would pay good money to be able to convert my HD captures to H.264 in a painless manner.
Conner

Post by Conner »

Conner wrote:If there is something that even comes close to HandBrake, I've yet to find it, and I've looked high and low. I would pay good money to be able to convert my HD captures to H.264 in a painless manner.
answering myself, it looks like Episode from Flip4Mac is going to fit the bill, the demo spit out good quality fairly quickly... of course it's 400 bucks for the version that doesn't do mpeg2/ts/H.264 high profile encoding (900 for the one that does), but what can ya do... it fits my current needs and I don't have any confidence that Sorenson Squeeze 5 will be any better/faster than Sorenson Squeeze 4, and I'm guessing they'll want $$$ for the update anyway.
bdfortin

Post by bdfortin »

Why not use something like VisualHub (or its free cousin, iSquint)? It does wonders with video conversion.
Conner

Post by Conner »

bdfortin wrote:Why not use something like VisualHub (or its free cousin, iSquint)? It does wonders with video conversion.
I've tried iSquint, the interface was clunky, the encoding quality not so good. I'm looking for something as good as handbrake but for non mpeg2/ts files.
sdm
Bright Spark User

Post by sdm »

AviDemux (as I said before)
Conner

Post by Conner »

sdm wrote:AviDemux (as I said before)
I tried that one, a usable interface would be nice.