Reading MPEG files without title info

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

royone
Enlightened

Reading MPEG files without title info

Post by royone »

Would it be prohibitively difficult to have Handbrake, when reading an MPEG file and not finding any titles, just rip the whole file as one title?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

If it can't find any titles, what do you want it to rip?

Are you talking about VOB input? If so, there's no such concept as titles there, as titles are a DVD-IFO only device.

Rodney
royone
Enlightened

Post by royone »

Background on this: I was looking through the development history and saw where the ability to read MPEG TS files was added. jbrjake mentioned that he'd successfully ripped HD files from that format.

The Windows GUI will browse for files and try to read MPG files, but complains about finding no titles there. Maybe I'm just asking for information, rather than a new feature. I don't know how working with files works.

What I did was extract a clip of problematic video from a chapter using VLC. I saved it as MPEG video and audio in an MPEG TS container. I thought it would be handy to be able to experiment with just the snippet in question.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

If it's truly a TS wrapper, it should work. Do you have a link to the snippet?

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Use the development builds or don't even ask about stream support. If you read the dev threads then you should be aware that the current stream code is far more robust than 0.9.1's.

I'm very confused as to why you would save in a .TS container but name the file ending with .mpg, since an .mpg is a PS not a TS.
canoehead

Re: Reading MPEG files without title info

Post by canoehead »

You may want to google around for hdtv2mpg, HD Patch and/or mpg2 repair. These handy little programs can be used to cleanup a TS stream so that it behaves like and mpeg - no reencoding, just headers, flags and stuff.