How To: Rip, Encode and Combine Using Fairmount & DTOX

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Have you tried compiling the latest svn to see if it happens with it?
MacTalk

confused

Post by MacTalk »

Okay I'm a bit confused about this whole process. I thought the purpose of DTOX or Fairmont was to decrypt and burn a dvd on their own (at least with DTOX anyway).

I understand HB is being used to combine and that it can convert for iPod, iTV or what ever.

We are you using Fairmont to decrypt?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

You clearly don't have an understanding of what any to the stated software does. I would advise to stay away from the procedure.
MacTalk

Post by MacTalk »

Cavalicious wrote:You clearly don't have an understanding of what any to the stated software does. I would advise to stay away from the procedure.

Well that's really nice!

Should I assume because the moderator is rude that I'm not going to get a useful reply?
baggss

Post by baggss »

MacTalk wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:You clearly don't have an understanding of what any to the stated software does. I would advise to stay away from the procedure.

Well that's really nice!

Should I assume because the moderator is rude that I'm not going to get a useful reply?
Yes. We known for our rudeness. Especially to those who fail to read the provided documentation and tutorials.
MacTalk

Post by MacTalk »

I read the tutorial, hence my question. There's really no need to be rude you know. Someone wonders in and asks a question (perhaps you didn't read my question properly??) and all you can do is be small minded. Wow what a pack of intellectual [Censored] you are :roll:
Mucx
Experienced

Post by Mucx »

MacTalk: Fairmount is used as a way to get around the lengthy process of 'ripping' a disc that a program like MacTheRipper uses. Without getting technical, as the disc plays it is decrypted by Fairmount through VLC (as the Fairmount website states: "...decryption of DVD content on the fly").

DTOX does not decrypt. It merely 'crunches' DVD discs or the video/audio content down to a manageable size so they can be burned back to blank DVD+R discs. DTOX cannot do its job on an encrypted disc, something else must be used to decrypt and provide material for it to be used.

So the combination of Fairmount + DTOX becomes clear. Fairmount 'opens the disc up' and DTOX reads it bit by bit as it is unencrypted.

You can see how that would be useful? Many people use MacTheRipper to decrypt their DVD's and it adds an extra 15 minutes to the whole procedure. Or many people just don't enjoy that application for...political reasons I guess.

So, many people use Fairmount as a MacTheRipper alternative or just a quicker step in the workflow. I myself, open a disc up using Fairmount, Open HandBrake and point it at the Fairmount'ed disc and convert for my iPod as an example.

Some people, Fairmount a disc, run DTOX on it and burn the output to a DVD+R disc.

Some people, don't care about Fairmount and decrypt with MacTheRipper and then use....HandBrake. (I still do this a lot).

So there you go. Oh and don't mind other people on these forums. n00b hunting is an ego boosting hobby.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

peterjcat wrote:One thing about joining multi-disc movies using DTOX as per the guide -- as far as I can see you can't create a single title that is larger than 9GB, so it's not possible for example to join any of the Lord of the Rings super-extended editions into single titles without a bit of recompression. It might not make that much difference, but if you're leery of recompressing the DVD before sending it to Handbrake then the old way of separately Handbraking the titles and then joining the results together might still be preferable.
You can manually set the output size of the DVD2OneX result: instead of choosing single or dual layer DVD, you can set a custom size that can be largerthan 9GB. I have never fed a file of that size to HandBrake but it's not a problem for DVD2OneX to produce one.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

whimpers wrote:
peterjcat wrote:One thing about joining multi-disc movies using DTOX as per the guide -- as far as I can see you can't create a single title that is larger than 9GB, so it's not possible for example to join any of the Lord of the Rings super-extended editions into single titles without a bit of recompression. It might not make that much difference, but if you're leery of recompressing the DVD before sending it to Handbrake then the old way of separately Handbraking the titles and then joining the results together might still be preferable.
You can manually set the output size of the DVD2OneX result: instead of choosing single or dual layer DVD, you can set a custom size that can be largerthan 9GB. I have never fed a file of that size to HandBrake but it's not a problem for DVD2OneX to produce one.

Afaik, HB should not have an issue with a source file over 9gb. I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work just fine if you have the time to let HB to its thing.

Though if outputting to mp4 with input that long ( over 5 hrs I would imagine as in join mode dtox just joins the main features not extras) and using settings with any bitrate to it at all, I could see wanting HB set to allow 64bit mp4's for output files larger than 4 gb.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

whimpers wrote:You can manually set the output size of the DVD2OneX result: instead of choosing single or dual layer DVD, you can set a custom size that can be largerthan 9GB. I have never fed a file of that size to HandBrake but it's not a problem for DVD2OneX to produce one.
Although it allows you to put a custom number like 15000, it doesn't stick. It defaults back to 9000. You can verify this by making the change and then click on title then back to settings and you will see the default value.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

dynaflash,

The concern was DTOX using compression if the joined file is over 9gb. Not so much an issue with HB.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

wimpers wrote: I have never fed a file of that size to HandBrake
Right, I was addressing this.
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

Cavalicious wrote:
whimpers wrote:You can manually set the output size of the DVD2OneX result: instead of choosing single or dual layer DVD, you can set a custom size that can be largerthan 9GB. I have never fed a file of that size to HandBrake but it's not a problem for DVD2OneX to produce one.
Although it allows you to put a custom number like 15000, it doesn't stick. It defaults back to 9000. You can verify this by making the change and then click on title then back to settings and you will see the default value.
That's been my experience too. I haven't found a way to get DTOX to generate a file over 9GB because it looks as if the DVD spec won't let you have a single title of more than 9x1024MB files (eg you can't have a VTS_01_10.VOB).

It might be possible for DTOX to allow you to set the maximum per-VOB size to eg 2GB which might -- who knows? -- still be readable by HB or playable by VLC/DVD Player but there doesn't seem to be an option for that right now. Whimpers, if you have actually produced a >10GB file from DTOX please let me know how you did it.
black baloon

Post by black baloon »

is it possible to just use Fairmount, then use the mounted disc as the source in HandBrake? or am i completely missing what is going on?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

black baloon wrote:is it possible to just use Fairmount, then use the mounted disc as the source in HandBrake? or am i completely missing what is going on?
That can work also...you just add more wear/tear on your DVD laser. Some don't mind this though.
chlee1942

Post by chlee1942 »

You can copy the VIDEO_TS folder in the mounted disk to your hard disk and let HandBrake or DVD2oneX use the copied folder as the source.

The copy process will take some time (since this is the stage where VLC and Fairmount are actually doing their work) but generally not as much time as HandBrake's encoding process.

Once the copy is complete, you can close Fairmount and VLC Media Player
Samaell

Re: Audio Sync Problem

Post by Samaell »

in2deep wrote:Followed the instructions to the letter using Fairmont, DTOX and then Handbrake. The final output has about a 2 second lag on the video from the audio. I loaded the VOB file that DTOX created and it all looks fine. It seems to only happen during the Handbrake process and subsequent loading by Quicktime. Any ideas how to get the audio back correctly sync'd.
I have the same problem as well. The sync on mine starts off really bad 4-5 seconds off and improves as the movie goes on at the end its back in sync. The VOB file that DTOX created was fine, no audio sync issues but as soon as I Handbrake it, audio is out of sync. Anybody have any ideas on how I might be able to fix this?
I'm on a Mac Pro running 10.5.1.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Supply an Activity log (Verbose Log in CLI). Did you remove any cells with DTOX?
wienonline

fairmount dtox handbrake explanation

Post by wienonline »

thank you for this nice and friendly and simple explanation from Britain

helped me also to understand as i just was confused same way
Mucx wrote:MacTalk: Fairmount is used as a way to get around the lengthy process of 'ripping' a disc that a program like MacTheRipper uses. Without getting technical, as the disc plays it is decrypted by Fairmount through VLC (as the Fairmount website states: "...decryption of DVD content on the fly").

DTOX does not decrypt. It merely 'crunches' DVD discs or the video/audio content down to a manageable size so they can be burned back to blank DVD+R discs. DTOX cannot do its job on an encrypted disc, something else must be used to decrypt and provide material for it to be used.

So the combination of Fairmount + DTOX becomes clear. Fairmount 'opens the disc up' and DTOX reads it bit by bit as it is unencrypted.

You can see how that would be useful? Many people use MacTheRipper to decrypt their DVD's and it adds an extra 15 minutes to the whole procedure. Or many people just don't enjoy that application for...political reasons I guess.

So, many people use Fairmount as a MacTheRipper alternative or just a quicker step in the workflow. I myself, open a disc up using Fairmount, Open HandBrake and point it at the Fairmount'ed disc and convert for my iPod as an example.

Some people, Fairmount a disc, run DTOX on it and burn the output to a DVD+R disc.

Some people, don't care about Fairmount and decrypt with MacTheRipper and then use....HandBrake. (I still do this a lot).

So there you go. Oh and don't mind other people on these forums. n00b hunting is an ego boosting hobby.
:)
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

One feature that dtox *does* add though that is not mentioned above is the ability to deselect those pesky zero duration and/or zero size cells that can be intentionally placed in the dvd source to fool software rippers. Neither mtr or fairmount on their own allow you to do this afaik. Not all titles have them, but when they are encountered dtox does give you the necessary step to deal with them.

Just a note.
mturner8

Re: How To: Rip, Encode and Combine Using Fairmount & DTOX

Post by mturner8 »

The only question I have re: this process is will it work for Region 2 DVD's???? Anyone???? Thanks!
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

mturner8 wrote:The only question I have re: this process is will it work for Region 2 DVD's???? Anyone???? Thanks!
I don't see why not
mvxii

Post by mvxii »

Hello, all. I've been trying to use this process to rip some movies for the past couple of days with no luck. I'm using a MacBook with a 2.2 Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, and Leopard. I'm not getting any errors, but DTOX is telling me "170+ hours remaining". :shock: I've followed the process step by step up to that point, and the only setting that I've messed with is the one concerning Note #2 "Double Layer Output." Any idea why it would take so long? I've tried this on Transformers, Star Wars Episode 4, and Samurai Champloo Vol. 1. Obviously I haven't gone through the entire process coz "WOW!" if I'm gonna leave my MacBook at home for a week! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

mvxii wrote:Hello, all. I've been trying to use this process to rip some movies for the past couple of days with no luck. I'm using a MacBook with a 2.2 Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, and Leopard. I'm not getting any errors, but DTOX is telling me "170+ hours remaining". :shock: I've followed the process step by step up to that point, and the only setting that I've messed with is the one concerning Note #2 "Double Layer Output." Any idea why it would take so long? I've tried this on Transformers, Star Wars Episode 4, and Samurai Champloo Vol. 1. Obviously I haven't gone through the entire process coz "WOW!" if I'm gonna leave my MacBook at home for a week! Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(
Are you ripping with Fairmount or MTR or something else? Which DTOX part are you at, the rip or the combine?
mvxii

Post by mvxii »

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using Fairmount, and I'm in the ripping portion of the process. Step 7 of your guide to be exact.