READ ME / POST HERE if a specific DVD/Movie won't rip

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
whoshebe

Post by whoshebe »

Mrs. Palfrey at The Clarement
Scotchfairy

Post by Scotchfairy »

dynaflash wrote:Hilarious, everyone else is using a bunch of advanced rippers, , rattling chicken bones, standing on one leg .... and this guy decides to just rip it right from disk with HB... Priceless!
Don't laugh. I just successfully ripped Pirates 3: AWE using just HB. Since all I wanted was an iPod version, this was a useable solution, since no one on the MtR forum has as yet successfully ripped it without having zero cell problems. Dead Man's Chest apparently caused similar problems, but since (once again) I only needed the iPod copy, not a full-disc copy, just plain old HB was good enough. For those of us just making copies for our iPods and iPhones, we may not actually need the other rippers. Just be prepared for ridiculously long rip times if you're going to use the iPod hi settings (as always). But ripping to an iPod "blessed" copy seems to get rid of a lot of problems.

edit: wimp system: 1.6 mhz powermac G5 iMac, 1.25G memory, 10.3.9. 5th gen (video) iPod. HB 0.7.1a2 (yes, it's ancient, I don't rip DVDs that often anymore, system's too slow)
Polygon
Novice

Re: Toy Story also won't rip (original disc)

Post by Polygon »

surferboi wrote:Toy Story also won't rip (original disc)
I've ripped toy story (the original disc) just fine.
etandrib

The Hire (collection of BMW short films)

Post by etandrib »

I tried ripping "The Hire" using the Handbrake but the source list doesn't show any of the DVD menu items except four garbage clips. Has anyone else tried ripping this DVD?

BTW, if you haven't seen them they are great short films.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Scotchfairy wrote:
dynaflash wrote:Hilarious, everyone else is using a bunch of advanced rippers, , rattling chicken bones, standing on one leg .... and this guy decides to just rip it right from disk with HB... Priceless!
Don't laugh. I just successfully ripped Pirates 3: AWE using just HB. Since all I wanted was an iPod version, this was a useable solution, since no one on the MtR forum has as yet successfully ripped it without having zero cell problems. Dead Man's Chest apparently caused similar problems, but since (once again) I only needed the iPod copy, not a full-disc copy, just plain old HB was good enough. For those of us just making copies for our iPods and iPhones, we may not actually need the other rippers. Just be prepared for ridiculously long rip times if you're going to use the iPod hi settings (as always). But ripping to an iPod "blessed" copy seems to get rid of a lot of problems.

edit: wimp system: 1.6 mhz powermac G5 iMac, 1.25G memory, 10.3.9. 5th gen (video) iPod. HB 0.7.1a2 (yes, it's ancient, I don't rip DVDs that often anymore, system's too slow)
That doesn't surprise me. I rip nearly everything directly from the DVD and have very few problems.
silvaniart

How about Monty Python?

Post by silvaniart »

I've been trying to rip Monty Python's Flying Circus DVD's and only one episode on each disc will show up. Actually a file for each episode is created but only one will have any content. New to the forums but A big fan of HandBrake
Cavalicious

Re: How about Monty Python?

Post by Cavalicious »

silvaniart wrote:I've been trying to rip Monty Python's Flying Circus DVD's and only one episode on each disc will show up. Actually a file for each episode is created but only one will have any content. New to the forums but A big fan of HandBrake
http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741
MapleLeaf

Post by MapleLeaf »

Anyone know how to rip Rush Hour 3? I can't get it to rip using handbrake or MTR. MTR says 'Warning BUP and IFO not the same."
helixomnimedia

Tomb Raider

Post by helixomnimedia »

Hello,

At the beginning of the summer I ripped the Tomb Raider movie, and it wasn't until yesterday and today that I actually sat and watched it on my touch.

However the last "chapter" of the movie just stopped - as if it were the end of the file.

So I checked all the setting I used with MTR and HB and re-encoded it this morning. The file should last approx 1h35min, but only does 1h.24.

So I just selected the chapter (12) to the last chapter (12) to see if it can encode on its own. Its does about five seconds and then stops... exactly where the movie stops if the whole film version was done.

Any idea what's causing this and how it can be fixed?

Thanks
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Hello,

At the beginning of the summer I ripped the Tomb Raider movie, and it wasn't until yesterday and today that I actually sat and watched it on my touch.

However the last "chapter" of the movie just stopped - as if it were the end of the file.

So I checked all the setting I used with MTR and HB and re-encoded it this morning. The file should last approx 1h35min, but only does 1h.24.

So I just selected the chapter (12) to the last chapter (12) to see if it can encode on its own. Its does about five seconds and then stops... exactly where the movie stops if the whole film version was done.

Any idea what's causing this and how it can be fixed?

Thanks
This sounds like an issue that was identified and fixed with a recent patch that will hopefully make it into .9.2 when it is released. I would try this movie if I had it, but hopefully Cav or one of the other devs who is familiar with this issue also has a copy and can confirm that it is fixed.

(The original disc where this problem was identified was LotR: FOTR EE, as well as 'The Score' and perhaps others.)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Which Tomb Raider?

If the issue is what nightstrm and I thinks it is, then its fixed in svn.
compudude27

Similar Problem

Post by compudude27 »

I am having a similar problem with Bones Season 1 Disc 3 Episode 3: Two Bodies In The Lab. It will only rip part of the epi and then says that it is complete. The Error it is giving me follows:

GUI ERROR dialog: reader: DVDReadBlocks failed (163296).

I have read through the forum and I do not know if I should add this to the list, or if this is a separate problem. I also tried it on MTR and it told me that there were bad sectors and sure enough it did not play. Any help would be great! Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Similar Problem

Post by rhester »

compudude27 wrote:GUI ERROR dialog: reader: DVDReadBlocks failed (163296).

I have read through the forum and I do not know if I should add this to the list, or if this is a separate problem.
A forum search immediately turned up at least two potential solutions to your problem (assuming the disc is undamaged):

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopi ... readblocks

Rodney
Megan

Post by Megan »

Ohhh so that's why my Monster House wasn't working!

I was getting really frustrated with it. But now I'm annoyed that I can't get in onto my ipod.

Oh, and my Blades of Glory region 2 worked. So I don't know if it depends on the region of the disc.

Anybody know a free program I can that will work with Monster House?
planetoftheducks

thanks for telling me what doesn't work but now what?

Post by planetoftheducks »

Can this "zero" effect be fixed? and if so when will handbreak update to fix it?
rhester
Veteran User

Re: thanks for telling me what doesn't work but now what?

Post by rhester »

planetoftheducks wrote:Can this "zero" effect be fixed?
Sure can. DTOX does it regularly on the Mac, AnyDVD is a great choice on Windows.
planetoftheducks wrote:and if so when will handbreak update to fix it?
Exactly never. This is intentional copyright protection on the part of the studios and HandBrake is not an anti-protection tool.

Rodney
Nonsanity

Post by Nonsanity »

MapleLeaf wrote:Anyone know how to rip Rush Hour 3? I can't get it to rip using handbrake or MTR. MTR says 'Warning BUP and IFO not the same."
Ditto. In HandBrake from the Rush Hour 3 DVD only a few of the misc tracks show up. No main feature(s).

(MTR 14j had mixed results... Unsure yet if any really worked. Will likely update this post later.)
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

]
MapleLeaf wrote:Anyone know how to rip Rush Hour 3? I can't get it to rip using handbrake or MTR. MTR says 'Warning BUP and IFO not the same."
OK, kids...The word of the day is [Censored]. As in, "This damn title was a [Censored] to rip.

Now, being that I refuse to "support" MTR, I had to use *all* resources available. That said, I'm sure the route I had to go about getting this to work is by far unpractical...to most! So here is the abridge version:
  • XP in VM Fusion
    AnyDVD (demo) against DVD
    Transmit against Xlight
    Title 20 in HB
This will get you this:

~Cav
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

...also

Until Fairmount better handles Bad Sectors/False Structural Mastering (i.e the ability to skip/fix), I'm stuck with the above procedure to handle said DVDs.
baggss

Post by baggss »

All of that for THAT movie?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

baggss wrote:All of that for THAT movie?
I hear ya, but since I told someone that I would see what I could do...
abraun

Ratatouille or drive issue?

Post by abraun »

Got a few DVDs for Christmas and just sat down to rip them to add to my movie library. I saw appleTvHandbrakeHappy's post and decided to give it a whirl - unfortunately after scanning (which took a bit longer than usual, but nothing horrible) HB 0.9.1 reported "Source: No valid title found".

As others have had success with this DVD and this version of HB, I'm casting my suspicions on my MacBook Pro's DVD drive. In the past I've noticed that slimline drives (such as those found on laptops) are frequently unable to rip either from HB or MTR - whereas older drives do not seem to suffer from this problem. Can others confirm whether or not they've seen this issue as well? Am I on the right track here?

If I am, does anybody have any suggestions about where I might be able to find an external drive for my laptop that is more rip-friendly?

Thanks!
baggss

Post by baggss »

It would help if you told us what the DVDs were.....
abraun

Post by abraun »

My apologies... I was looking to know whether or not there was general knowledge of issues with certain DVD drives as opposed to others. Some of the discs that I have been having issues with recently are Ratatouille, Spiderman 3 and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Instead of wasting everybody's time asking questions focused on those specific titles, I was looking for a common thread.

An example of a DVD that wouldn't rip on this drive - but would on an older one - is Hannibal Rising. I seem to recall having many other such experiences as I was converting my library, but that's the only one I can remember off hand.
baggss

Post by baggss »

Hmmm. I ripped both Hannibal Rising and Spiderman 3 directly from the DVDs on my Mac with no issues. None of my drives are more that 20 months old on the outside.