handbrakegtk / handbrakeCLI maximum quality settings

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mukiex

handbrakegtk / handbrakeCLI maximum quality settings

Post by mukiex »

I'm converting for the Xbox 360 so I already know my level's capped at 4.1.

However, I'd like to know, aside from that, how I can get the highest quality H.264 encode possible @ 1200-1600kbits. e.g. B-Frames and the like. A HandbrakeCLI script or a screenshot of HandbrakeGTK at max settings would be phenomenal. =3 Time is no object (I set encodes whenever I go to bed), I just want it to look as good as possible, and I don't know which H.264 options help and which ones don't.

Thank you for your time =3
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandbrakeGTK afaik doesn't have a working H264 panel atm so you won't be able to get best quality settings.

Go lookup the presets in the wiki and use the bedlam preset.
mukiex

Post by mukiex »

Actually it does, but it's kinda buggy (seittngs don't save into profiles). I found a script which might cut it for me =3
Polygon
Novice

Post by Polygon »

the advanced x264 gui is there, but the advanced options dont appear to be passed along to the CLI command so therefore it doesnt work (as stated above)

and i personally use the DSQ preset (its like deus six quatre) or whatever, and it works pretty well.

the command line equivilant of it is:

[quote]
HandBrakeCLI -i DVD -o ~/Movies/movie.mkv -e x264 -b 1600 -B 160 -R 48 -E ac3 -f mkv -x ref=5:mixed-refs:bframes=3:bime:weightb:b-rdo:b-pyramid:me=umh:subme=7:trellis=1:analyse=all:8x8dct:no-fast-pskip -m -p -2 -T]/quote]

Replace DVD with the path to the dvd, change the path that the movie saves to and what the movie is saved as, and your all set.