Error Cant read file

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
radar tech

Error Cant read file

Post by radar tech »

im new here plse help, thank you. used anydvd and handbrake on the incredibles dvd so i can play on ipod. process ran 6 hours (approx) file on desktop is an m4v file. tried to open with quicktime to play I get "error -2048 Couldnt open the file because it is not a file Quicktime understands". process took 6 hours ! file icon for the movie is not being recognized either. i made no change in settings, file size is approx 1.5gb
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Indicates a corrupted file. Nothing you can do but re-encode.

I guess its possible you have accidentally changed a setting. Goto the query generating tab, generate it, and then copy the output on here.
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

how do i do that ? thanks
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

here we go: -i "Click 'Browse' to continue" -e x264 -E faac --crop 0:0:0:0 -p -m -b 1500 -2 -T -x ref=2:bframes=2:subme=5:me=umh -B 160 -R 48 -v

what do you think ??
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Right, That won't be the query that was actually used, so I guess we have no way of being sure something wasn't changed.

I'd be inclined to encode 1 chapter, and if that works, just try the whole thing again. Failing that, try running it through another ripper.
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

ill try again, dialing down the bitrate to 500 maybe was problem was at 1500? by another ripper you mean another pc yes?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

hmm, you say you want to throw the video on an iPod. Why are you not using one of the iPod presets? They are designed for this task...

By ripper, i mean, in place of anydvd, try something like dvdfab decryptor. Something dodgy protection on the disc may be getting past anydvd. (somewhat unlikely but worth a try anyway)
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

gee didnt see that. funny. will retry using that preset. thank you. whouldnt it play on the pc using quicktime once finished anyways thats what i tried to do in first place. trying now !
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

mving quickly now, 31% complete after 20 mins using ipod setting and low rez. looking at settings will the ipod file play on itouch or will screen size be too small ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The touch should be able to play that ok.

If its only going on a touch then you can use the iphone preset. if its going on a nano, classic or older, then it needs to be the high or low rez ipod presets.
radar tech

Post by radar tech »

working great thank you. still get an error message asking for windows .net version 1.1.4 even after installing vers 2.0 any reason why or how to debug that ? thank you.