Can't find AC3 pass-thru

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
cpelliott

Can't find AC3 pass-thru

Post by cpelliott »

I am running handbrake 0.9.1 in GUI mode on Windows and don't see AC3 pass-thru as an audio option. Is this only available in command-line mode?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

cpelliott

Post by cpelliott »

Thanks for the link. I read the wiki page, but was unable to get AC3 pass-through. I am using 0.9.1 GUI build 2.4.1. If I select a DVD input and an mkv output, I don't see an AC3 pass-through option.

Audio Encoder does give me AC3, but it like it may be re-encoding. The Audio section still has bitrate, sample rate and mix. I'm following the instructions in the wiki, but I just don't see it. My source is 448 kbps 5.1 AC3 and that bitrate isn't an option. If I select AC3, will it just ignore bitrate, sample rate and mix?
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Try choosing the proper Codec from the drop-down, under Output Settings first.
cpelliott

Post by cpelliott »

Under "Output Settings->Audio Encoder" my choices are: AAC, MP3, Vorbis, or AC3. If I select AC3, the "Audio & Subtitles" tab gives me options that would seem to indicate re-encoding. The bitrates even change from those offered when AAC is selected.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I'm not spoon feeding you.

I told you what to do.

Did I say anything about Audio Encoder?

:roll:
cpelliott

Post by cpelliott »

"Try choosing the proper Codec from the drop-down, under Output Settings first."

There are 4 choices. The closest to sounding correct is "AC3". There is no pass-through option. I tried an encoding with AC3 to see what would happen. It took my DD 5.1 input and produced an AC3 2-channel output.

Has anyone done AC3 pass-through with 0.9.1? Am I the only one that doesn't see the option.

The Surround Sound Guide says it is possible, but stops short of actually telling you what Output Settings->Audio Encoder and the "Audio & Subtitles" tab should be set to.

I guess every page in the wiki could just say to use "the proper settings" :)
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Select AC3 and you get pass-through. Bit-rates etc are ignored when you select AC3
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

Ah...Didn't catch that you were using windows. Verbiage/Placement is a little different between the 2 GUIs.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Cavalicious wrote:Ah...Didn't catch that you were using windows.
Nor should you be expected to, when the user doesn't have the decency to even post in the right forum section.

*moving to the Windows forum*

Oh, and cpelliot? There is no way in hell HandBrake took your "DD 5.1 input and produced an AC3 2-channel output." You obviously didn't even play it back to check, before running to the forums to complain it didn't work.
cpelliott

Post by cpelliott »

jbrjake wrote:
Cavalicious wrote:Ah...Didn't catch that you were using windows.
Nor should you be expected to, when the user doesn't have the decency to even post in the right forum section.

*moving to the Windows forum*
Pardon the incorrect location for my first post. Will direct all future GUI and CLI questions to Windows forum.
jbrjake wrote:Oh, and cpelliot? There is no way in hell HandBrake took your "DD 5.1 input and produced an AC3 2-channel output." You obviously didn't even play it back to check, before running to the forums to complain it didn't work.
Not quite accurate assessment of my actions, but I'll continue.

I'm now using hbcli in order to avoid GUI-related issues. I used MediaInfo 0.7.5.5 to analyze the Handbrake-created mkv files and the original VOB files. I would be happy to use different analysis software if there is a "standard" for these boards. Perhaps MediaInfo is giving me bad information regarding the audio track for the mkv file. FYI the files are headed to a Sigma Designs SMP8635 chip and I would like to verify the audio stream first. Any tips on mkv file analysis would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for angering jbrjake!
cpelliott

Post by cpelliott »

For future searchers, here's what I have found from this thread and others. Because, "pass-through" can be spelled many ways, I missed a post the day before mine that answered the file analysis issue.

If you select "AC3" as you audio codec, it will pass-thru. The appropriate audio values are ignored (bit rate, etc.). The latest version (0.9.1) incorrectly fills out the audio tag fields. I tried the latest code from subversion (1087) and the issue is partially fixed. The "Channel(s)" tag is right. I did notice that the "Sampling rate" tag is different, but that is not an issue for this forum.

I think that most devices don't care what the value of the tags are, so it will work fine.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

cpelliott wrote:
jbrjake wrote:You obviously didn't even play it back to check, before running to the forums to complain it didn't work.
Not quite accurate assessment of my actions
<snip>
I used MediaInfo 0.7.5.5 to analyze the Handbrake-created mkv files and the original VOB files. I would be happy to use different analysis software if there is a "standard" for these boards.
There's only one standard way, on this forum or anywhere else, of finding out how many channels are in an AC3 track. It's what I already told you to do: play it.