Scanning Failed

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
melanie610

Scanning Failed

Post by melanie610 »

I just downloaded this program, so I don't even know what SHOULD happen. But the files dl'ed as zip files, I extracted those, and then a window opened telling me to browse the destination of the DVD or drive. I have, for a specific example, The Office Season 1 in my drive (maybe TV shows make it not work, I don't know..), it starts scanning...scans allllll the way through, 22 of 22, but then when it's done it says "scanning failed" and there's nothing else I can do, no other options to click. I tried taking the disk out, putting it back in, the same thing happened.

What do I do?

Thanks.
melanie610

Post by melanie610 »

I just tried a movie and the same thing happened, so I know it's not because it was a TV series.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Handbrake does not decrypt DVD's / TV series on windows.

I'm betting this is your issue.

2ndly any reason why your not using the Windows GUI? Should make life a tad easier unless you prefer the CLI.
melanie610

Post by melanie610 »

I don't know what that is. Last night I was searching all night to find something to move DVDs to my iPod and the first thing I found was a DVD Decryptor and something called Videora. Needless to say, they didn't work. So my boyfriend found this site:

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/handbrake/

And told me it was an all-encompassing program and I wouldn't have to decrypt AND use another program to move the files to my iPod. So I dl'ed it this morning...and...I'm lost.

What should I use? All I want to do is move DVDs that I already own on hard disc to my iPod...nothing fancy. Well, for TV series discs, I want to be able to select each episode seperately once they are on my iPod, I don't want them strung together like a movie.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

Have a read through that. Basically the Windows port of Handbrake is not an all-in-one solution. You'll need to have "DVD 43" or a similar application open to decrypt the DVD on the fly.

If you have downloaded the command line interface (which I suspect you have if the file is a zip package) then you'll want to download:

http://handbrake.m0k.org/rotation.php?f ... n-2.41.exe
melanie610

Post by melanie610 »

After I left my computer encoding ALLL day...the file won't open. Windows doesn't know what program to use. It won't drag into my iPod, it won't even drag into iTunes. When I double click it to just open it, it tells me that Windows doesn't recognize what kind of file it is. What now? :( This is so frustrating..
melanie610

Post by melanie610 »

Oh, and yes I have the latest iTunes AND QuickTime, I made sure to download the latest QT.
rmarier83

Post by rmarier83 »

Whcih container are you using? (usually the file extension).
Try something else like Media Player Classic, and try downloading the K-lite Codec Pack.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Are you dragging it directly onto the movies tab within iTunes?

If you open up quicktime and open the movie directly through that, does it play?
cdavidac

Post by cdavidac »

melanie610 wrote:After I left my computer encoding ALLL day...the file won't open. Windows doesn't know what program to use. It won't drag into my iPod, it won't even drag into iTunes. When I double click it to just open it, it tells me that Windows doesn't recognize what kind of file it is. What now? :( This is so frustrating..
I have the same problem - windows version of Handbrake. For my first attempt I used a commercial DVD that had been copied and without the encryption. The machine took 9 hours to process, and saved a file as movie.m4v.

Itunes won't recognize it, you can't open it with either I tunes or quick time, and there is no dragging it manually to anything because it won't get added to any list to drag it from.

Any suggestions.