Same Format ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
xiyif61179

Same Format ?

Post by xiyif61179 »

I have a video where the source is Main 10@L5@High, using MediaInfo. I used default "Super HQ 2160p60 4K HEVC Surround preset", with no settings changed in the VIDEO TAB, and could only achieve "Main 10@L5@Main". How can I get the same quality as the source ?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Same Format ?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

xiyif61179 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:50 am ...and could only achieve "Main 10@L5@Main". How can I get the same quality as the source ?
"Main 10@L5@Main" is not an indication of quality. It indicates what features of the encoder are allowed to be used. It does not even indicate what features actually were used. It is a flag that tells the decoder what it might expect to see in the bitstream. Some decoders (especially hardware assisted decoders) will refuse to play video that specifies a Profile/Level/Tier that is beyond it's rated capabilities.

But to address your question, the parameter you are attempting to change (@Main) is what is referred to as the Tier. It modifies what the maximum allowed bitrate in the bitstream can be. HandBrake does not have a GUI element that allows changing this value. But you can specify "high-tier" in "Additional Options" on the Video tab. Doing this will not necessarily change anything in the actual encoded data. It merely allows the encoder to use a higher bitrate if it should find the need to do so to satisfy the needs of other encoding parameters (like RF). To require a bitrate in the range allowed by High Tier, you would have to be using some pretty extreme settings. With your chosen Main 10 Profile and Level 5, High Tier allows a maximum bitrate of 100mb/s. A movie encoded at this bitrate would be 90GB in size.
xiyif61179

Post by xiyif61179 »

Thankyou for your explanation. Wouldn't @High tier's higher bitrate be better than @Main tier one ?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

In theory, sure; practically its not going to be noticable.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

xiyif61179 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:52 pm Thankyou for your explanation. Wouldn't @High tier's higher bitrate be better than @Main tier one ?
@High doesn't have a higher bitrate. It has a higher bitrate limit. As I said, you would have to be using some pretty extreme settings to get even close to the bitrate limits of @Main. The bitrate limits of @High are really for special scenarios like extremely high resolutions and framerates (like 8K@120fps).

With the vast majority of source content, the only thing @High is going to do is limit the players you will be able to play the encoding back on.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Why are you encoding your video if you just want the output to be the same as the input?