Can Handbrake change metadata?

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
kindasideous

Can Handbrake change metadata?

Post by kindasideous »

Ok, truth be told I am aware that I can edit the metadata when running conversions. The REAL question is; Can I change the metadata WITHOUT running a conversion?

I'm maintaining a media server and have been converting my files with handbrake right from the start. As I've progressed' I've refined my process for setting the metadata as I want it to be, however my earlier files (for reasons that should be obvious) have not benefited from my later refinements...

What I would like to do is be able to clean up my old file's metadata without spending the next year re-converting already converted files! LOL
To be very specific; I want to change the "Track Name" under both the "Audio" & "Subtitles" tabs.

I am using Ubuntu Linux and I have tried using Exiftool to change it... but it's givin' me no love! Any ideas?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Can Handbrake change metadata?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

What container format have you been using?
kindasideous

Post by kindasideous »

I've been using "m4v", but I do have a few that are in "mkv" as well.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

There are a few options. None great, but maybe one will work for you.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No, HB is not a metadata editor.
kindasideous

Post by kindasideous »

I am aware that it is not a dedicated metadata editor... I was just kinda hoping that since you CAN edit metadata in conjunction with conversions, that there may be a "backdoor" way of doing one without the other...

VLC and easytag were not working for me; however Tag_Editor worked like a charm! Thank you JohnAStebbins!