Recommended settings for EU DVDs ripping?

Discuss encoding for devices and presets.
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Speedyboy

Recommended settings for EU DVDs ripping?

Post by Speedyboy »

Hi,

I want to digitalize some TV shows I have on my DVDs as I hate searching and swapping around DVDs. Since it will be a lot of episodes and work I wondered what settings I should choose for good quality without overdoing it for EU DVDs? To be specific, it is "Deadliest Catch" and some very old show called "Hogan's Heroes". I can select best quality for everything. The question is whether that is overkill for such source quality.

I attached the current settings I chose to start with and added the pictures below.

I welcome your feedback.

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Recommended settings for EU DVDs ripping?

Post by Woodstock »

#1 recommendation is to rip the DVDs with a DVD ripping program, like MakeMKV, then you can batch-process the individual files without swapping disks around. Handbrake is not configured to rip disks, and hasn't been for over a dozen years.

The exception is the Mac version, which uses OS tools to decode the encryption on the disks. But, it is still limited by the encode speed when ripping, which using the separate ripping tool doesn't do.
Speedyboy

Post by Speedyboy »

Thanks but that already works fine. I'm more concerned setting the right quality settings without overdoing it and blowing up the file size. I mean, after all, this is not a 4k source, hence I should not set the settings too high and that is where I am uncertain what to set.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Could you please post your HB logs, instructions can be found here:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/hel ... y-log.html
Wronglebowski
New User

Post by Wronglebowski »

To echo this question, is there an easy way to generally re-encode DVD/OG BluRay content with zero other modification? I think OP's spirit is, that they want to not modify the file in any meaningful way. Leave the audio, subtitles, etc alone. Just want to use a more efficient codec(AV1/H265) to save on space.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HQ 576p preset for EU DVDs, after ripping with MakeMKV.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

mduell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:31 pm HQ 576p preset for EU DVDs, after ripping with MakeMKV.
They'll also want to
  • switch to matroska container since mp4 doesn't support BD subs
  • modify audio and subtitle selection behavior to select all tracks
  • add "Any" to audio and subtitle language lists
  • remove any subtitle "Burn-in" options
  • modify audio encoder list in selection behavior to use "auto passthrough"
  • remove foreign audio scan from subtitle selection behavior