M3max ibdvdcss.2.dylib not working with handbrake

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
renjii
New User

Post by renjii »

Description of problem or question:

everything i tried to scan the proctected dvd the ibdvdcss.2.dylib not working with handbrake. pls see below error

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):
i) "Go to Folder" Directory /usr/local/
ii) Right-click and create a new folder and call it "lib" (without quotations)
iii) paste libdvdcss.2.dylib

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):
Version 1.7.3 (2024021100)

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):
SONOMA 14.3 (23D56)

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

[21:56:03] macgui: Handbrake Version: 1.7.3 (2024021100)
[21:56:03] Compile-time hardening features are enabled
[21:56:03] hb_init: starting libhb thread
[21:57:12] macgui: ScanCore trying to open a physical disc at: /Volumes/MXG_1069
[21:57:12] macgui: dlopen error: dlopen(/usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib, 0x0001): tried: '/usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib' (fat file, but missing compatible architecture (have 'i386,x86_64', need 'arm64')), '/System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/OS/usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib' (no such file), '/usr/local/lib/libdvdcss.2.dylib' (fat file, but missing compatible architecture (have 'i386,x86_64', need 'arm64'))
[21:57:12] macgui: ScanCore, library not found for decrypting physical disc
[21:57:15] macgui: User overrode copy-protection warning - trying to open physical dvd without decryption

rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: M3max ibdvdcss.2.dylib not working with handbrake

Post by rollin_eng »

Libdvdcss is not supported by Handbrake. Try ripping your disc with makemkv then encode with Handbrake.
finkeland
New User

Not transcoding all of the video

Post by finkeland »

It's only transcoding 1 hour of a 2 hour video - is there a time limit or size limit? Thanks!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

No.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: Not transcoding all of the video

Post by rollin_eng »

finkeland wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:39 pm It's only transcoding 1 hour of a 2 hour video - is there a time limit or size limit? Thanks!
You should start your own thread and post your logs.
oharag
New User

Post by oharag »

What!? I guess I'm reading old info. In one post it recommended installing libdvdcss and then Handbrake wouldn't have an issue with copywriter DVDs. Since when does this not work? BTW I've used HB before - but man it's been a while. Can anyone here comment on why HB still cannot handle CW - but MakeMKV has no issues? Is there any way to get CW decoding within App? I'm using MKV but I do not know why I have to MakeMKV and then convert MKV and then use HB. Seems like a lot of conversions/handling.

There is an option within MakeMKV to allow Handbrake/VLC to use MakeMKV as their decoding system. It won't work on macOS Sonoma for some reason. Has anyone got this to work on MacOS?
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Makemkv is a ripper, use it to rip discs.

Handbrake is a video converter, use it to convert videos.

Different tools for different things.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

oharag wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:42 pmWhat!? I guess I'm reading old info. In one post it recommended installing libdvdcss and then Handbrake wouldn't have an issue with copywriter DVDs. Since when does this not work? BTW I've used HB before - but man it's been a while. Can anyone here comment on why HB still cannot handle CW - but MakeMKV has no issues?
It hasn't reliably worked ever. Also, more than a decade ago, the HB team stopped supporting it. The HB team isn't interested in playing the digital restrictions management game; the MakeMKV team has that as their sole purpose.
oharag
New User

Post by oharag »

mduell wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:40 pm
oharag wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:42 pmWhat!? I guess I'm reading old info. In one post it recommended installing libdvdcss and then Handbrake wouldn't have an issue with copywriter DVDs. Since when does this not work? BTW I've used HB before - but man it's been a while. Can anyone here comment on why HB still cannot handle CW - but MakeMKV has no issues?
It hasn't reliably worked ever. Also, more than a decade ago, the HB team stopped supporting it. The HB team isn't interested in playing the digital restrictions management game; the MakeMKV team has that as their sole purpose.

Okay I understand - then why use HB at all????? I keep hearing it's the fastest out there - but if you can't rip many DVDs then what's the reason for HB? So at the moment I use Make MKV - make a backup of the DVD as ISO - then open HB and convert ISO to Mp4. Seems like a ton of conversions leading to mot likely degradation.

Have you used MacX DVD Ripper Pro? Supposedly it also can decode protection - and it has settings to save in a number of formats - especially Mp4 for Apple TV. Seems like a great idea. I tested the free version (5 minute max and then you need to purchase) and it seemed to work well - interface is top notch. One thing that I like is that you can see all of the additional content (i.e. bonus material) select what you want to add - and even combine everything into one file. BUT BUT when I do this the App keeps crashing - if I don't combine everything works well. Kind of a bad thing to make people buy the SW.

My issue with MakeMKV - is yeah it doesn't have an option to save to Mp4. Plex can play mkv but from what I see on the webs - Plex has issues with mkv. I want to save as Mp4 since I can play it on my Apple TV and devices.

Any thoughts on best solution for Mac DVD ripping?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

MakeMKV will preserve the original video and audio, so there will be no degradation.
libdvdcss might still work with HandBrake, but you will need an arm64 version and to put it in the right location. Anyway, we offer no support for it.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

HB is for compression (transcoding), not for disk ripping. MakeMKV is just a ripper, no changes the video/audio streams.