Buildging a .deb package with Dolby Vision support

Support for HandBrake on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix-like platforms
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
MacDas

Buildging a .deb package with Dolby Vision support

Post by MacDas »

Just in case someone lands here with the same goal that I had.............

So far, none of the Linux builds that I can find are built with Dolby Vision support, especially the ones on Ubuntu. So, tried to compile it form source (also wanted to have it in the form a .deb binary, so that it can be installed and removed using apt) but it failed to include DV support, because of missing packages and a bit of incomplete information in README. After some help from this forum (thanks to @s55) I finally managed to compile and build a .deb package, which I could easily install with apt package managed on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

The missing part in doc is installing cargo and libass-dev as part of the basic dependencies. Also install libgtk-4-dev (on top of already mentioned libgtk-3-dev) if building with GUI support. And most importantly, MUST run this:

Code: Select all

cargo install cargo-c
sudo snap install rustup --classic && rustup default stable
rustup target add x86_64-pc-windows-gnu
before start building. Otherwise, --enable-libdovi will fail.

After that, I used checkinstall (instead of make install) to build the .deb package but that part was easy and pretty much painless.
In the end, Kodi/CoreELEC was able to successfully detect the DV from the resultant MKV and played back with any issue.

I have put together a script here, for anyone looking for the same: https://pastebin.com/raw/NEjGdsm0

The script was tested, and the binary was installed successfully on Ubuntu v22.04 LTS in the end. I suggest getting a VirtualBox VM (or something similar) to compile and build the package, instead of doing it directly on the target machine. Hope it helps others. :)
ratorhowl
New User

Re: Buildging a .deb package with Dolby Vision support

Post by ratorhowl »

It's clear that you put a lot of effort into troubleshooting and finding the missing dependencies. Thanks for sharing the additional steps and commands needed for successful compilation. Your script will undoubtedly make the process easier for me as well as others.