4K Encoding Question

General questions or discussion about HandBrake, Video and/or audio transcoding, trends etc.
Olias
New User

4K Encoding Question

Post by Olias »

Description of problem or question:

I've recently started encoding 4K UHD movies and am seeing some behaviour hopefully someone will be able to explain.

I was firstly gifted The Wicker Man 50th Anniversary set. The mkv for 'The Directors Cut' (101 mins) ripped by MakeMKV was approx 70GB.

Reading up online, I tried some different combinations and settled on the following params in HB:

Format : MKV
Res Limit : 2160p 4K Ultra HD
Encoder : H.265 10-bit
FPS : Same as source, VFR
Encoder Preset : Fast
Quality : 18 RF
Encoder Profile: Main 10

This resulted in the following encoded file:

File size : 11.75GB
Bitrate : 16639 kbps

The two other cuts of the film in the set resulted in similar file sizes and bitrate output.

I then bought The Lord of the Rings 4K set and set about encoding the theatrical editions of the three films.

I used the same settings as above but the output I get (compared with Wicker Man results) is a lot different.

The Fellowship of the Rings (178 mins)
File size : 10.56GB
Bitrate : 8468 kbps

The Two Towers (179 mins)
File size : 9.67GB
Bitrate : 7717 kbps

Much lower bitrate and file size despite the films being significantly longer.

I would've expected a larger file size than TWM and (maybe) comparable bitrates. Can anyone explain why the differences given the same parameters used? Is it down to the quality of movies on disk? TWM is 50 years old and has obviously gone through a conversion process to result in a 4K release but I guess LOTR has had some similar process done albeit with a more recent/cleaner input.

Any experts can explain?

Many thanks

HandBrake version : 1.7.3

Operating system and version : Windows 11
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: 4K Encoding Question

Post by rollin_eng »

You have pretty much answered your own question. I would guess TWM might be grainy as it’s obviously an old film. LOTR is obviously more modern and cleaner film. You might also have less cropping on TWM but without a log it’s hard to tell.

Some people remove the grain via filters but some people prefer the grain, it’s really up to you.

Maybe post your logs so we can see what HB is doing.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Also, if file size is a concern, 18 RF is overkill. HandBrake's official 4K presets use RF 24 which should result in about half the size.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Also if you're going to use x265 preset fast you may as well use preset veryfast.