No ÆØÅ æøå in the Norwegian subtitles...

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Nesrality

No ÆØÅ æøå in the Norwegian subtitles...

Post by Nesrality »

Description of problem or question:
When I import an srt file, it comes out great, but without those Norwegian special letter..

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

I have tried it several time, First time, no æøå, second and third time nothing at all. Then I tried MKV, and it come out great again, but stil without æøå...

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

Windows 8.1

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Code: Select all

I dont understand this
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: No ÆØÅ æøå in the Norwegian subtitles...

Post by Woodstock »

Problem one is that you are running a version that is no longer supported.

Problem two is whether the SRT file contains the actual character and that it is encoded properly. The assumption is that you have told handbrake that the file is using the character code that you selected for it. Some will work "most of the time" (like UTF-8), but if the file is encoded with UTF-16, some characters can be mis-interpreted.

Your link requires logging in to read, so it isn't readily available.
Nesrality

Post by Nesrality »

Ok, thanks.. I guess I just have to try another subtitle software then... I mean, how can I know what the subtitle I will import is encoded with in order to get it right? Do I have to try every one of them, and see if I am lucky ? Since some will work "most of the time"? I have tried two other solution, VLC and VSDC, and none of them asked for the right char code...
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

I'd make efforts to understand the file you have/are providing, rather than just shotgunning every option.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Post by rollin_eng »

Update to the latest version supported by your OS and see if that helps:

https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.7.0/tech ... ments.html

Then post your log here, or somewhere that doesn’t require a login, if you have any issues.