How to get exact copy of the movie file.

HandBrake for Mac support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
natra

How to get exact copy of the movie file.

Post by natra »

Description of problem or question:
Hi, I'm wondering how should I get the exact copy on my file I wanting to convert 60GB mkv movie file to MP4 without any quality loss the size can be the same or even higher. I don't want any loss in the picture or audio. Greatly appreciate any help.

Steps to reproduce the problem (If Applicable):

HandBrake version (e.g., 1.0.0):

Operating system and version (e.g., Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, Windows 10 Creators Update):

HandBrake Activity Log ***required*** (see How-to get an activity log)

Code: Select all

Please replace this text with the contents of your log file between the two code tags - OR -  provide a pastebin URL in place of these 3 lines.
If you are unable to do so, please state why so we can help you.
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: How to get exact copy of the movie file.

Post by rollin_eng »

HB is not the tool for this. Subler may do what you need.
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Agree that handbrake isn't the tool. There are unknowns that affect what COULD be the tool, though.

Examples: What video format is used? MKV allows more video types than MP4.

Are there subtitles? MKV and MP4 do not share soft subtitle formats in general. Some MKV-compatible formats cannot be included in MP4 files without "burning them in".

Are there multiple audio formats included, such as 5.1 vs. 7.1 or stereo?

Guaranteeing "no quality loss" isn't a general thing. "No VISIBLE quality loss" is more likely, but not guaranteed. ffmpeg could probably do it, if you don't have subtitles to worry about.
natra

Post by natra »

The reason why I want to change the file to MP4 is because I want to edit some of the movies that I have none of the video editing software will allow Mkv files. Do you know maybe a way around this?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Then using the ffmpeg copy would probably be best, so long as there are no subtitles to worry about.